How to make the Z lighter?

stevie_350z

If you really want to go for it:

Electric seat motors (in fact just change the seat to a CF one)

Most of the dash

Engine bay plastics

All sound proofing

Gixxxxer said petrol so I’ll go with washer fluid. Empty both bottles.

Bonnet is aluminium I think

Change the boot lid for a CF one

CF the doors and change windows to plastic with no motors

The only downside to messing with the weight is the weight distribution will be affected in a big way.

Forgot a big one. Completely remove the a/c

Start with a light car in the first place...... ;)

Seriously though, although you can make reasonable savings by removing trim etc. , percentage wise the saving won't be significant, so you are unlikely to notice the difference on the road.

I'm buying a racing battery for the Exige which will save me 5kg. Doesn't sound much but compared to the weight of the car it's worth it. It's also a third of the size and as the battery is in the boot it will make more space. I might be able to get my laptop in then... :lol: I'm also fitting harnesses and removing the seat belt, so hoping this will save a couple of kg's

I have no intention of changing the Z, I'm just incredibly nosey!

Thanks for the answers - I agree, buy a light car in the first place... but I fancy spending a couple of grand on a track toy for my next trip to the Nurburgring... so far the best sites I've seen are those for the old Sierras...

Air Con System

Compressor =5-10kg

all the gubbins ...2-3 kg...

electric adjust on seats and motor.

speakers and subwoofer

perspex glass all round...

gas struts on tailgate,

2 wheel nuts/wheel (you have 5...so tighten the other very well.)

run it on minimum oil and check it every hour... just in case

run it with 5 litres of petrol...and refill every time you check the oil

remove one rear and one front brake disc and pad ( you have esp ... i am sure it will correct it... :lol::p )

2 hinges per door? waste! , keep one...bin the other... same for tailgate (if you delete the gas strus... acquire a stick to hold the tailgate up)

bumper reinforcer beams, behind the plastic bumper... no problems just don't crash...

headrests.... seatbelts retractor mechanisms, airbag modules, weighted gearknob....

the opportunities are endless.... :thumbs::p:teeth::lol:;)

Take the front and rear nissan badge off :thumbs: I did that and the car feels so much lighter and smoother around corners. Was worried about the weight distribution at first but leaving some of the glue residue behind after taking the badges of seems to even out the weight. Was going to take off one of the front bumper reflectors but fear of the front nose lifting off if I exceed 40, I thought it safe to leave the indicators on, to hold the car down, might attempt taking off the front and rear windscreen, hopefully this should create a wind tunnel and streamline the car more as less resistence when in motion. Wish me luck! :doh:;)

The only downside to messing with the weight is the weight distribution will be affected in a big way.

Bingo. :lol:

Now we know you're not Stevie, but if you talk racecar light, then out comes the dash, new gauges, etc, ok now I'm playing. :lol: You should see a few of the 350's here, pretty sparse.

• 8 months later...

Take the front and rear nissan badge off I did that and the car feels so much lighter and smoother around corners. Was worried about the weight distribution at first but leaving some of the glue residue behind after taking the badges of seems to even out the weight. Was going to take off one of the front bumper reflectors but fear of the front nose lifting off if I exceed 40, I thought it safe to leave the indicators on, to hold the car down, might attempt taking off the front and rear windscreen, hopefully this should create a wind tunnel and streamline the car more as less resistence when in motion. Wish me luck!

lolololol

Take the front and rear nissan badge off I did that and the car feels so much lighter and smoother around corners. Was worried about the weight distribution at first but leaving some of the glue residue behind after taking the badges of seems to even out the weight. Was going to take off one of the front bumper reflectors but fear of the front nose lifting off if I exceed 40, I thought it safe to leave the indicators on, to hold the car down, might attempt taking off the front and rear windscreen, hopefully this should create a wind tunnel and streamline the car more as less resistence when in motion. Wish me luck!

lolololol

:lol: Bit early to be on the pop, lad!

Get rid of the cats and put decat pipes. lots of weight to be saved there. :thumbs:

Lose weight but lose a lot of torque. No thanks. :surrender:

+1 - do sports cats give a decent enough saving in weight to balance out the little bit of torque they lose?