Windscreen Crack

Cemetery

Just noticed this morning that there is a crack in my windscreen from the bottom of the screen roughly centre positioned which is about 15-20 cm long. Having had a very quick look around about best to go with insurance/private there were some mixed answers as many were saying a repair/replacement still counts as a claim so will hike up your insuance full stop upon renewal for years after. On here I have seen various estimates of private costs...all of them high which suggests insurance may be the way to go.

Anyone have any thoughts/experience of this. I have fully comp insurance via sky but cannot remember the name of the underwriter if that matters.

You can always check with your insurer if that counts as a claim or not? Some don't and all you need to do is pay excess. If you need pay for yourself, try National Windscreen http://www.nationalwindscreens.co.uk/ I've used them twice now.1st time when I need to replace windscreen on my Hyundai coupe (Gen2). Due to 3rd party insurance only at that time, I need to pay it myself. Autoglass wanted £380ish +VAT but National Windscreen did it for less than £150 inclusive VAT. 2nd time was for a chip repair, £20 all in. Ring them for a quote and see if its reasonable or not.

Most policies include windscreen cover and you have an excess for it usually around £75. It doesn't count as a claim.

Check you policy documents or inquire with your insurers. They will tell you their preferred service.

If you call national windscreen or similar directly they can also confirm if you have this cover or not.

Replaced mine after it got hit by a large stone, just in my line of vision, so MOT failure and they are not allowed to repair it here. Lots of panels to be removed, starting with the B pillar. Note the A pillar trim has about 8 screws hidden underneath the door rubber, and does not just pull off. Also you will need to get a top windscreen rubber trim yourself for them to re-fit, as not included in the re-fit.

Did mine through my insurance so I only paid £80, but had to wait 12 days for it to be in stock.

IMG00396-20140327-1311_zps9f7048f6.jpg

...added pic.

Edited by Shenley
  • Like 1

I had fully comp insurance with Halifax, had a new screen and just paid £65 glass excess, definitely not classed as a claim :thumbs:

The only thing was that you had to use their recommended fitter otherwise they would not pay

As everyone else has said the only way is to check with you insurers. Most these days have windscreen cover with an excess and is not classed as a claim. Your insurers will have an approved windscreen place that they will want you to use.

Shenley - where did you get the top rubber from - Nissan? I have a split in mine, screen is fine but this bit is bugging me, need to make enquiries to see if they can replace the top trim without taking the whole screen out, if not i'll have to wait till i get a big chip/crack..!

With almost 8 years experience in motor insurance and claims I can assure you, stating 'a windscreen replacement doesnt count as a claim' is factually incorrect.

The correct statement is that a windscreen replacement does count as a claim, but it will not effect your no claims bonus.

You will notice on price comparison websites, it asks about all claims and will have a drop down for glass claims.

To sumarise, you DO need to declare these incidents - however, it is very likely these types of claims will have no loading on your premium.

Well, better send me your address then Cemetery, I owe you some Curly Wurlys. Hands up, and all that.

I just checked on the Meerkat site and there is now an option for glass claims that's never been there previously. This is new then, as it's never ever been an issue in previous years.

Edited by Ekona

I genuinely haven't had a curly wurly in about 10 years, I now immediately want one.

Can anyway remember when they were about 10-15p. I bet they're about 50p now

oddly enough i have just got back from Tesco (other supermarkets available) and I bought a pack of 5 for £1 B)

Yeah I managed to get through to Sky to confirm & they did say it would need to be noted. Given non fault claims increase your premium I am dubious this wouldn't end up surrupticiously loading my next one potentially :(

Can I offset that against potential Curly Wurly gains I wonder ;)

I appreciate the offer Ekona but feel free to donate one or two to charity instead :D

• Like 1

Replaced mine after it got hit by a large stone, just in my line of vision, so MOT failure and they are not allowed to repair it here. Lots of panels to be removed, starting with the B pillar. Note the A pillar trim has about 8 screws hidden underneath the door rubber, and does not just pull off. Also you will need to get a top windscreen rubber trim yourself for them to re-fit, as not included in the re-fit.

Did mine through my insurance so I only paid £80, but had to wait 12 days for it to be in stock.

...added pic.

Can they not re-use the existing trim? Had a quick look around but only thing I found suggested these do not come at all cheap :o ([76860Q] GLASS RUN-BODY SIDE,FRONT) http://www.courtesyparts.com/350z-parts-z33-2003-2008/genuine-nissan-parts/body-side-rear/766-body-side-moulding/-c-714_715_846_848.html

Honestly, speak to your insurers. They'll advise what you need to do. I've never heard of someone having to provide their own bits for the fitter.

I have done & have the number to call for their preferred fitter, just getting a seperate quote to see how much to do it outside of insurance but suspect I will be going with it. I similarly hadn't heard of needing to provide any parts for the fitter before this thread, has got me a bit concerned.

Well, better send me your address then Cemetery, I owe you some Curly Wurlys. Hands up, and all that.

I just checked on the Meerkat site and there is now an option for glass claims that's never been there previously. This is new then, as it's never ever been an issue in previous years.

Seems a recent thing but the guy who sorts our glass in the garage told us the same thing. His private work is rocketing

Yeah I managed to get through to Sky to confirm & they did say it would need to be noted. Given non fault claims increase your premium I am dubious this wouldn't end up surrupticiously loading my next one potentially :(

I'm with Sky and it didn't affect my premium the following year. Or rather my premium didn't go up.

Edited by Toon Chris

Got it booked in tomorrow under insurance, seperate quote was £280 + VAT which was cheaper than expected but still enough to make me decide to use my cover. Crack has developed nicely (probably not the word) & pretty much doubled in size now. Hopefully it will all go smoothly tomorrow.