Juddering under braking - Advice needed

RS8055

Hi all,

Curious to find out if anyone else has had the same issue at all. I recently fitted spacers to the Rays to allow them to sit flush on the Zed. I have however noticed that when turning off the motorway for example, when the brakes are applied the steering wheel is juddering quite a lot more than you'd expect. I am wondering if anyone else has had the same issues?

Things to note:

- I am positive that the spacers are securely fitted and not loose.

- I recently had the brake discs and pads changed by Sly at Kaizer Motors.

- Brake fluid is at a good level.

Can anyone shed some light on this please?

Cheers,

Ryan

The last time I had all wheels aligned was by Sly maybe just over a year ago. I am not sure whether I'd need to align them again, but I remember when he did it, he said that they required a fair amount of adjustment. (Apparently hadn't been done by previous owner, and Nissan don't do it usually). As for weighting, I did have new tyres put on recently, but I imagine they would have weighted them correctly as it was done at a professional shop.

Alignment should be done annually at the very least, 6mths is preferable.

You say the judder is when coming off the motorway as an example, can you be any more specific? I.e. are you braking hard, med or soft; what speed are you braking from; is it to a standstill; do you have any lock applied?

I had this when my discs were uneven got tophooker on here to skim them. It was caused by paint being uneven when alloys were refurbed and over time distorted the discs.

Could try bedding in again see if helps.

Drop Tophooker a line, good guy.

Just seeing where you are based, it's not ideal :lol:

Aside from the above suggestions.

First thing I'd go and do - bed the pads again, do it properly.

Various methods but here is a good one - do it obviously in a quiet, no traffic place:

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/18649-how-to-proper-brake-in-procedure/

If you still have the problem, these are things you can do at home:

Remove the wheels, ensure the rear surface is totally smooth and completely flat, free of any paint.

Also the hub where the discs sit, this should also be free from corrosion/dirt etc - so give that a quick rub with sanding paper.

After that, it's best to ensure the wheels are weighted properly, and then I'd have the discs skimmed.

Have a look at my thread here:

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/97748-marcus-disc-skimmers-excellent/

• Like 2

While the advice for annual alignment is valid this is an issue due run out. It will be 1 of 4 culprits below and since it coincides with fitting spacers surely this has caused or accentuated the issue.

-Brake face: usual a high spot or thickness variation. Rebedding as adviced by Robbo or skimming would be the solution.

-Hub face: there could be rust, corrosion or paint between the hub face and the spacer causing runout. It could also be the spacer is not torqued flush. It is always recommended to recheck and torque about a 100-500mls after fitting.

- spacer face: if the spacer has been painted or powdercoated it could have runout on the mating surface with your wheel. Also rarely, a cheap spacer can warp if over torqued and produce runout.

- wheel face: excessive paint or powder coat can cause run out or the wheel could be in need of re balancing especially if it's bent or buckled slightly. If powdercoated or painted I'll recommend trueing the mating surfaces again before rebalancing.

The wheel is probably ok as you did not have this issue before.

So rather than assume start again by dismounting everything at the front axle. Clean the hub face with wire brush and protect with copper grease. Check and clean the spacers and torque evenly as specified. Clean the wheel face if any paint or powder coat and torque it down. Make sure you've not lost a wheel weight and test the car. If it's still there then rebalance the wheels.

If that fails rebed brakes or take it to a disc skimmer. My feeling is if the judder is mild the rebed can do it if using an aggressive pad but if moderate or violent done waste your time move on to skim.

Also check you have not bent your suspension control arms or failed bushing but this is so unlikely as the symptoms with be there not only on braking .

• Like 2