How to - Proper brake in procedure

ZMANALEX

There are many recommended brake bed in procedures depending on the manufacturer.

I have tried various recommened procedures and tried variations drawn on my own experiences.

Below, in my opinion is one of the very best.

Follow this and you wont go far wrong.

scan0001BrakeBedinProcedure.jpg

scan0002BrakeBedInProcedure.jpg

Perhaps this could be a sticky............

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Just read this and am curious as to the bedding-in procedure.

I'm not sure there is anywhere locally to me that i would be able to achieve 60-10mph 10 times in a row. Is this gospel or is there room for adjusting the number of times you decelerate, or the speeds?

On DBA discs and DS2500 pads BTW.

I'm gonna pop up onto the pennines this evening and sort it there. I was thinking too locally :blush:

Perfect road up on the 'border' between WY and Lancashire.

:thumbs:

I bedded mine on a disused airfield and when from 100-40mph. This worked well and no issues. Not to say this is the correct way, but worked for me.

Unfortunately, I dont have a local disused airfield (at east i dont think it do!) :teeth:

When my new brakes went on I had to drive from Essex to Berkshire, around the M25, I simply drove at legal speeds towards each junction, came off, braked hard right down then re-entered the motorway, did this at each junction! But yes, the notice from the manufacturers does lack a bit of realism, I don't have private roads I can use either but without breaking any motorway speed limits my brakes bedded in just fine :thumbs:

Did you have shims on the pads you replaced? They need to go back on, if they are missing (and they commonly are) the pads will squeal for a while. Also copper paste on the backs of the pads helps. Mine are missing the shims, they squealed for a short while then the noise stopped altogether.

Did you have shims on the pads you replaced? They need to go back on, if they are missing (and they commonly are) the pads will squeal for a while. Also copper paste on the backs of the pads helps. Mine are missing the shims, they squealed for a short while then the noise stopped altogether.

Could be that you have some extra dust build up from the bedding in - try clearing out with air pressure or even a strong hosing. But as Col says ^^^ his advice could be your answer :thumbs:

Not too sure, I'll ring them in the morning and find out if they replaced the shims or not. I did mention them when i dropped the car off this morning, but forgot to mention it when i picked the car up.

The old discs were literally flaking apart on the inside, but worryingly, still not an MOT failure according to the garage!

DBA + Ferodo FTW :thumbs: I can tell the difference already. Thanks ZMANALEX for the brakes. Top bloke. I shall post in your appreciation thread.

Have done 200+ miles on the new brakes this weekend and it hasn't cured the squealing at the front under light breaking at slow speeds.

Rang the garage and he said the shims from the original wouldn't fit the ferodo pads.

Anything i can do to sort this noise out as its gonna **** the mrs off something chronic! :lol:

• 3 years later...

So i just bought new DBA Discs and Ferodo pads, should i also buy some new shims before installation? i dont think my current pads have shims on them at the moment because they squeel bad at slow stops.Can someone point in the right place please? thanks.

Edited by DarmoZ

So i just bought new DBA Discs and Ferodo pads, should i also buy some new shims before installation? i dont think my current pads have shims on them at the moment because they squeel bad at slow stops.Can someone point in the right place please? thanks.

PM received and replied to. :thumbs: