A little video i made...............

StevoD

Got a new lens and some new tripods for my camera last weekend and a few of my local lot got together for a little catch up and i made this little video

Can i get your feedback or ideas to improve please

Edited by StevoD
  • Like 2

Dodgy music aside ;) that's pretty good. :thumbs:

If I had two gripes, it would be that it's too long (half the length would be fine, I got bored and skimmed through some of it) and you need to pan twice as fast then slow it down in editing: As it stands, it looks odd with the well-shot panning gliding gently, then the people in the background moving at normal speed. Assuming you can't get the people out of the way, then pan quicker then reduce speed would work.

I'd also like to see some height used in places, even standing on a small set of steps would work very well and give a different viewpoint. I'd also try using some different music, something you don't usually like can work well as then you focus more on how the two blend together, rather than just getting into the music. Maybe some '90s hip hop, '80s electronica or some '00s punk for a change? I don't like any of those genres either, so if you did that it wouldn't be for my benefit! :lol:

Other than that, it's really good mate. Did it take you long to put together? What editing software did you use?

Cheers Dan can't slide faster and slow it down as the camera records at 24fps when slowed down its like watching an old cartoon haha

Music is a hard one, hardest part is finding royalty free music it wasn't the best track for it but it wasn't the worst didn't want some fast pace stuff as it doesn't flow with an actionless video in my eyes

The filming was about 2 hours

the editing was about 1.5-2 but I had 3 cuts of it as couldn't quite get happy with it

And I used like a beginner's version of song Vegas

I liked, and agree with Ekona on lots of the points (mostly about length). If the music has a a sudden shift in beat, then perhaps have a clip with some action kick in in sync with the music?

Nevertheless, as far as attempts go it is an amazing start :thumbs:

• Like 1

Cheers Dan can't slide faster and slow it down as the camera records at 24fps when slowed down its like watching an old cartoon haha

Time for a new camera then! Should be able to pick up a GoPro cheap enough these days, even my '3 can do 60fps which would be enough to run at half speed and still look normal.

I'd love to see you get some moving car shots in next time, I think you'd be very good at that :)

Variation...... That's important, in effect what Dan said but in one word. Variation.

Software is half the process especially with different effects, slow, flicker, blur.

If the video is what you want to achieve why not take out 3-4 ideas from it and start playing.

Our resident DjTimo (TC Media) can give you tips and one of my favourite of his is this.

I'm gonna agree with Dan. The Iength couId have been shorter... And with the wider/higher shots.

other than that, reaIIy good work, you've mastered the pan-shot reaIIy weII. I reckon combine some shake effects with the beat drop in the music and you've got yourseIf some reaIIy cooI footage. Music is fine to me, but needs to be combined with some interesting effects! AIso wouId Iike to know what software you're using!!

Defiantly agree about length. Think I skipped through the last minute or so. You could probably get two videos out of that. I know the music can be a pain in the ass as your limited.

Be good to see some action type shots.

Good video though

Time for a new camera then! Should be able to pick up a GoPro cheap enough these days, even my '3 can do 60fps which would be enough to run at half speed and still look normal.

I'd love to see you get some moving car shots in next time, I think you'd be very good at that

Go pro will never have the quality of a Dslr tho

For filming? Yeah, easy. My GoPro pisses all over my D90 for stuff like that, as the Nikon just isn't designed for video.

Do realise most modern films are filmed with Dslr cameras ? Granted not cheap things but still

Gopro is good for one thing only the shot you get but you can't choose your depth of field or diffrent lenses etc

Edited by StevoD

Nice :thumbs:

You're right of course, a DSLR will give far more freedom with regards to DoF etc, but it's also stopping you creating something really decent due to the lack of recording speed. Maybe a compromise, get a decent video camera instead?

Or even better, just get the GP and use it to add to your filming, not to replace the DSLR with it. Best of both worlds then, plus you have the GP for when you go drifting :)