Any police on here?

twobears

I found a car, nose down in a ditch, front bumper ripped off, airbags deployed and bonnet crunched up but no-one was in it so I called 101 to report it after observing several cars slowing down, presumably to see if anyone was trapped, and causing a few more near misses :scare: It is commendable that people are slowing down but driving forwards whilst looking backwards over your shoulder is not such a good plan and I am worried that there may be another accident as the accident site is on a bad bend. If there was another crash I hadn't reported the smashed car I would have that on my conscience :(

I just wondered if the police welcomed calls like this from the public or if they would rather not have the hassle? It would be nice to hear from someone in the police to see what their view is.

Your thought processes are quite granular aren't they :)

I think the police will appreciate the call, as it sounds like the car is a potential hazard.

I think they will then prioritise the significance of your call and assign it to an officer / officers to look in to if they feel it's of a high enough priority (based on the significance and number of other calls they are dealing with at the current time).

I think you information will be appreciated and acted upon as and when resources and time allow. :)

Edited by Bockaaarck

For the love of god... :bang:

Of course you should call the police if you see a crashed car! And unless you can see it's clearly a minor tap in a safe place and the occupant is okay, then 999 is the correct number to use.

• Like 3

I suppose I could be overthinking the situation but I am one of life's worriers have to admit :blush: There are a lot of accidents on these bends and one happened in front of me once which really shook me up. Luckily Mr Twobears was with me that time and he helped the driver who was really dazed and who then had a fit and banged his head on the steering wheel several times, poor chap. Mr Twobears stayed with him whilst I called an ambulance for him and I've always wondered if he was ok. He wasn't very old.

The accident happened last night. No one was hurt. The vehicle was unoccupied when I found it. Three people whom I presume are connected to the vehicle have been to examine it this morning. A tractor came out but did not tow the vehicle from the dyke. Dozens of people have driven past and any or all of them could already have called the police for all I knew, as well as the owner(s) notifying them. As it turns out no-one had reported it according to the person I spoke to as it was not recorded and they said they were unaware of the accident. The vehicle is in a dyke (not a ditch but not everyone knows what they are). It is nowhere near the edge of the road. It is not, in itself a danger to other road users. I just wanted to try and prevent a further incident. I did what I felt was right but I wondered, out of curiosity, if the police welcome information like this from members of the public. Only way to know the answer to that is to ask, surely :surrender:

Agreed Annie, if you don't know or if you're unsure (and you've done some research prior) why not ask?

I'm sure you did the right thing, but having done the right thing and now having no more control over what happens with the information you provided. You should be able to take a step back and let things run their course.

Edited by Bockaaarck
  • Like 1

Always best to call in on 101 if you find a crashed vehicle unoccupied. Obviously dial the 9s if there are casualties there and it's a recent RTI.

The vehicle could have been stolen or being driven by someone under the influence etc so letting the police know is the correct course of action.

happened to me a few years back... early morning on a quiet dual carriageway, fairly badly smashed up car in the outside lane, nobody around that i could see. stopped at the next layby and phoned 101, they already knew and were on the way, but appreciated the call none the less.

and recently was around 5 seconds behind a single car incident on the M1 early on a saturday morning, saw smoke and something snaking back and forth across the road, then literally seconds later came across a car on its roof in the outside lane. fortunately everyone stopped and a load of lorry drivers were first on the scene, coned off and got people out.

certainly put a damper on the trackdays i was on the way to in both cases!

• Like 1

Certainly would put a dampener on your upcoming trackdays brillomaster :(

Thanks to everyone who has answered. I am glad I am not the only one who would "do the right thing". Should just point out thought that my question was not, as some people misread, "Should I call the police if I see an RTA and people are hurt/dead/in danger?" nor was it, "Should I use 999 for a 101 call"? What I really wanted to find out, on the off-chance that there was a policeman/woman on the board who was willing to answer, was, "Do the police welcome calls like mine?" i.e. ones for 'information only' rather than informing them of live crimes or dangerous situations or do they just think, "Ho hum, more paperwork thanks to a well-meaning/interfering member of the public"? I guess I shall never know :lol: Still, I am certain that I did the right thing as the police came out, surprisingly quickly to my way of thinking, taped off the car and it has now been collected by the AA. Nice clean car too and only a 13 plate. Someone must be pretty fed up with themselves as it looks like a write off.