Interesting "advice" from a bodyshop....

nowhereboy

Since getting wheels and sorting the suspension out on the Z, all the little marks, dings and stone chips etc are really starting to get on my nerves. The front bumper is quite badly stone chipped and has had some touch up paint on the sides and while nobody else notices it, it's bothering my 350Z OCD :lol:

I was curious to know what it would cost to get all niggles sorted and took it to a bodyshop, the bloke looked at me as if i was stupid, looked around the car and said something along the lines of "this cars meant to be driven and you'll be wasting your money by doing this" he wouldn't even give me a price!!!

So this guy obviously knows nothing about being a petrol head and his salesman skills are questionable but I'm still no further forward as to what this may cost! What should I expect to pay for a front bumper respray and to have a few dings and scratches removed?

Edited by nowhereboy
  • Like 1

I wouldn't mind paying £300-ish for the bumper and what not. Saying that I'm starting to consider going down the road of getting the whole car wrapped in another colour, I've seen some really nice wrap jobs round here recently and think it would look great on my Z.

Or maybe I should just take his advice and stop spending my entire wage on the Z every month :surrender:

Thats probably not going to happen anytime soon tho!

my local body-shop in Somerset quoted me £1000 for a full body re-spray, his work is outstanding and as he is close friends with my mechanic, I'm assuming that has something to do with the low price...

How much?? :o I wouldn't mind getting a full respray in that case ;)

That's got to be some of worst salesmanship ever. If you want to get some touch up body work done than that's your prerogative. It's like not wanting to get the leaves out of your gutter because they're just going to reappear next year.

• Like 2

That's got to be some of worst salesmanship ever. If you want to get some touch up body work done than that's your prerogative. It's like not wanting to get the leaves out of your gutter because they're just going to reappear next year.

Chances are he just didnt fancy doing the work.

On the other hand he has a point. My front bumper was resprayed before I bought my zed and within 18 months it was already ruined with stone chips again. And that was with me driving carefully and making sure not to tail gate anyone. It just seems to be the shape of the front of the car attracts them!

Bodyshops vary hugely with prices and quality of work.

I have had one car resprayed about 15 years ago and just having another done in June.

Best Advise I can give, is go with recommendations only and be sure to like everything about the place you are choosing.

Some cars like the 350z and my Corrado are very prone to bonnet stone chips - you just have to accept it - or slow down !!! :lol:

I'd wait until after the Wales meet, otherwise you may end up having to get it done again.

Of course, it depends whether you drive like a possessed demon, or leave a fair gap between the car ahead :teeth:

• Like 1

For dings I think it's deffo worthwhile getting a PDR guy to massage them out. If you are anywhere near Bolton I know a great place that has a Saturday drop in clinic.

Guy is very busy and ciz he spends zero time travelling on the Saturday prices are VERY good!

Since getting wheels and sorting the suspension out on the Z, all the little marks, dings and stone chips etc are really starting to get on my nerves. The front bumper is quite badly stone chipped and has had some touch up paint on the sides and while nobody else notices it, it's bothering my 350Z OCD :lol:

I was curious to know what it would cost to get all niggles sorted and took it to a bodyshop, the bloke looked at me as if i was stupid, looked around the car and said something along the lines of "this cars meant to be driven and you'll be wasting your money by doing this" he wouldn't even give me a price!!!

So this guy obviously knows nothing about being a petrol head and his salesman skills are questionable but I'm still no further forward as to what this may cost! What should I expect to pay for a front bumper respray and to have a few dings and scratches removed?

So am I not a petrolhead then as I'm more intrested in driving than cleaning my car ?

So am I not a petrolhead then as I'm more intrested in driving than cleaning my car ?

Stop nit picking and looking for a reaction stevo!! :p

Thats obviously not what i was saying

From past experience for the size of the 350 and a decent job you would be looking at £1500-£2000 for a full respray in most manufacturers standard colours.

I have just had a couple of quotes for a brand new oem bulge bonnet to be painted, £200-£300

I was looking at a similar option of getting one of the chips away guys in to tidy some bits so will report back.

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 1

A full respray for £1500-£2000 really ? !!! I don't think so.

I would not want that job on my car. Twice that maybe.

That price is not enough,to cover material, overheads and pay someone a decent rate per hour.

Doors would not come off, windows out etc etc etc

im not im just a little offended :cry:

11079446_10155690278445508_3547640294572591931_o.jpg

im not im just a little offended :cry:

11079446_10155690278445508_3547640294572591931_o.jpg

To be fair, like they say you can't polish a turd....

• Like 2

A full respray for £1500-£2000 really ? !!! I don't think so.

I would not want that job on my car. Twice that maybe.

That price is not enough,to cover material, overheads and pay someone a decent rate per hour.

Doors would not come off, windows out etc etc etc

As mentioned, from past experiences of having loads of cars sprayed with quality work :)

One i had done ended being a feature car in magazine so the quality was tip top ;) Full colour change (except for under bonnet), just a shade over £2k but that was fitting new front bumper and side skirts :)

If you pay more than that, your having your pants pulled down, unless its a special paint like House of Kolor etc

Edited by Jetpilot

When was this - when you had this respray for just over 2k ?

I have in the last 2 months visited 6 Bodyshops, only one was that kind of price and I was not filled with confidence there.

Obvioulsy there are a variety of 'types of resprays', for what is and is not included, plus the Customer Service aspect.

I am not thinking of a car that is fully prepared and just requiring a respray.

But one that needs the full prep work, treatments of small amounts of rust, primers, windows out, doors off, lights out, Various door and roof rubbers removing and replacing bumpers off, under sealing, Low Bake ovens. etc etc.

Plus differing Bodyshop garages - ones in an alleyways and tucked away tiny units, where you cannot imagine a car coming out without a mass of dust in the paintwork, onto top of the range workshops in locations where the building cost a fortune to buy or rent and there is not an inch of dust or dirt anywhere.

At the end of the day, it is all down to what each individual is happy with anyway.

When was this - when you had this respray for just over 2k ?

I have in the last 2 months visited 6 Bodyshops, only one was that kind of price and I was not filled with confidence there.

Obvioulsy there are a variety of 'types of resprays', for what is and is not included, plus the Customer Service aspect.

I am not thinking of a car that is fully prepared and just requiring a respray.

But one that needs the full prep work, treatments of small amounts of rust, primers, windows out, doors off, lights out, Various door and roof rubbers removing and replacing bumpers off, under sealing, Low Bake ovens. etc etc.

Plus differing Bodyshop garages - ones in an alleyways and tucked away tiny units, where you cannot imagine a car coming out without a mass of dust in the paintwork, onto top of the range workshops in locations where the building cost a fortune to buy or rent and there is not an inch of dust or dirt anywhere.

At the end of the day, it is all down to what each individual is happy with anyway.

I am only happy with perfection, i cant really say much more, if you think i could get a car featured in a magazine that was below par, i cant really give much more of a reference :)

Granted that was a few years ago but still use the same guy, he quoted me £1800 to do my 350z in the last 6 months. That is full prep, repair some little blemishes, lights out, bumpers off, windscreen and rear screen out etc He has an oven with dust extraction etc Lets put it like this, he is the only guy i would trust to do my car.

I have spent a small fortune on having cars, bikes, jetskis, wheels and anything you can think of painted.

The best sprayer i ever knew worked in a shoddy old back street garage with no oven. His work was stunning, custom pearls, flakes, kandies, flames, escallops, he was highly regarded in the american muscle and hot rod world, he painted many a show winning car, but his price was always sensible.

With my experience of having spent a small fortune with painters, £4k is fantasy, but if thats what you think is correct and feel comfortable with, fill your boots :)

All I am saying is - I am not getting any quotes of £1500 - £2000 barr one at £1800 and I have done my homework.

I have checked with a good 10 of so people who have in 2013/14 had the same level of work and respray, all are saying between 3 - 4k and I am being quoted just that.

The only one I found who was offering the stunning nature of work you mentioned and is very highly thought of for Show Level finishes, had planted himself high on a Pedestral - and quoting near on 5k - ex VAT and litlle customer service !!!

I don't put down all back street businesses, not at all, just some !!!

There is also a difference in businesses, those that are run as hobbies and those that wish to be more profitable especially in the car trade.

Besides location and related overheads and VAT make a huge difference to all this.

Did you/ Do you wear a short skirt and flatter your eyelashes to get these prices ?? !!!! :lol::surrender::blush:

If so, that's where I went wrong !!

What location are you and this Bodyshop in ?

Edited by Wendy