Clutch/flywheel replacement costs

cactusweasel

Hi there,

I've had the Z in today getting a new clutch and flywheel fitted, but the garage have taken 9 hours to do what I understand to be a 3-4 hour job and I'm in need of some ammunition to argue the costs with them. I've not even got the car back yet, despite them starting at 8.30am apparently!

Are there any garage on here who would be kind enough to knock me up an official quote for the replacement of flywheel/clutch for a 2004 UK spec 350z?

Many thanks,

Edited by cactusweasel

You should have got a written quote before instructing the job and if you didn't, then you only have your self to blame so I guess that you may just have to suck it up.

£200.00 is the going rate for a clutch and fly swop out, so circa 4 X £50.00.

Alex. :)

I was quoted 6 hours (verbally) which is a bit excessive but given the standard of work i've had from them before I was happy to go ahead with it, which would have come to just over £300.

Wasn't expecting this many hours though, I'll see what they say in the morning when I get the final bill.

took me 9 hours the first time to do mine that was with 0 previous experience and a couple mates helping! took me 2hours the second time!

Tbf though Brad didn't it take you so long because you had to do it on a cold garage floor with just a hammer, spanner & some wood chocks. :surrender::lol:

I bet you could have done it much quicker if you'd have had a fully kitted out workshop with a proper garage lift. ;)

• Like 1

Yeah, had mine done twice now by Slay down at Kaizer Motor, first time think was 220 and second was 180 (had slave cylinder changed first time, not the second) Took around 2hrs each time, probably less the second time. 9 Hrs. is ludicrous, they need to explain themselves.

9 Hrs. is ludicrous, they need to explain themselves.

They probably unnecessarily removed the exhaust and cats etc.

Name and shame to save other forum members similar pain.

~

I done my cats and exhaust in about half hour lol. still not 9 hours worth!

~

Could run into may extra hours if they snapped the cat bolts and studs. :surrender:

Perhaps they had to do it twice if car would not start after fitting the fly incorrectly. :blush:

• Like 3

~

Could run into may extra hours if they snapped the cat bolts and studs. :surrender:

Perhaps they had to do it twice if car would not start after fitting the fly incorrectly. :blush:

I agree, sounds like they had an issue and were stumped... Sky removed large sections of the exhaust aswell as the driveshaft and all other sorts of bits! I was horrified when I first saw it lol but I guess it just makes the job easier in terms of access. Sounds like as Alex said they had a dud part, fitted it incorrectly and snapped every bolt when fitting it.

As above, name and shame!

Perhaps my reaction yesterday was a bit premature, picked the car up this morning and the bill was £408, still a bit steep but I did get them to look at a few other minor things so there was maybe an hour or so extra for that.

Oh well, live and learn. Won't be in any hurry to use them again thats for sure.

On the plus side the car now runs like a charm although it's going to take a bit of adjusting to, instantly stalled it when i picked it up as the biting point is now lower :lol:

Perhaps my reaction yesterday was a bit premature, picked the car up this morning and the bill was £408, still a bit steep but I did get them to look at a few other minor things so there was maybe an hour or so extra for that.

Oh well, live and learn. Won't be in any hurry to use them again thats for sure.

On the plus side the car now runs like a charm although it's going to take a bit of adjusting to, instantly stalled it when i picked it up as the biting point is now lower :lol:

Presume that was £408 for the labour and not the complete bill?

~

Yep we managed that the first time lol!

Didn't charge more though......your dock up, your time, your learning curve. Not the customer.

FYI Autodata books the job at 9 hours if memory serves.

Really?!? By who, untrained baboons working at Kwik Fit? I understand those times are conservative as they have to account for someone at Kwik Fit levels or a Nissan Master Mechanic like Sly, but seems OTT still.

@OP - Good news in the end, bill wasn't that bad :)

Good news in the end, bill wasn't that bad :)

Sorry, got to disagree,

£408.00 equates to circa 8 hours labour. :surrender:

Did you also get a P3 and a brake upgrade ? ;)

Edited by ZMANALEX
  • Like 1

Did they supply the clutch and flywheel for that?? Edit - Ignore just seen the post saying you did supply it. 400 does sound steep!

Edited by dannybz

What clutch and flywheel to people usually opt for then ? Oem or is there a preferred aftermarket option as i think mine is on its last legs

From what i have already read excedy seems to be a popular choice... mine has gone and looking to get one fitted asap

FYI Autodata books the job at 9 hours if memory serves.

Direct from Autodata:

Clutch Plate, Cover and Release Bearing R&I 3.50

Flywheel R&I 3.70

So total of 3.70 hrs in total as you have to remove the Clutch kit to get to the fly.

Most round it up and charge 4 hours for the complete job.