Oil catch cans ......help please :)

Bodyboarder81

Hi all , just wandering what size catch can I need for my supercharged ( booked in for the 17th ) and what make ? GM gave me some links and now I can't seem to find them!?

A few questions :

I have an HR zed , do I need 2 catch cans ?

What size hose do I need to connect it all up ? ID ?

Heard Rutland ones are good / cheap and do the job .... What size do I require 6/10/12 mm ?

Do I need a none return valve ? If so what size ? And how many ?

What hoses do I need to buy to get them set up?

Would really appreciate some input and help ...... More links the better !!

I did a write up here, http://www.350z-uk.c...ng#entry1342281

I would junk the std idle/low load side (the one with the non return valve) and block the plenum spigot, as I explain in the thread, it just adds oil to the equation.

You don't need two cans but it simplifies things if you just use one, of a decent size (forget the Rutland one its too small to be useful) with baffles and/or filled with stainless scourers,

best type if you can find one is a sealed unit with two or three hose connections, you can T the two from the cam covers together and into the catch can, and then run the outlet to the intake just before the supercharger, this will make the most of the positive crankcase evacuation.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky
  • Like 1

You say forget the Rutland one Ricky but as space can be a problem it is an ideal size plus you will find that it doesn't fill up as quickly as you might think.

I'd estimate you could do over a thousand miles before it was even close to the top ~ I check mine every two weeks emptying it regularly as part of my vehicle checks/fluid top ups so it's size is really not an issue.

If you do go for a Rutland OCC it's the 10mm fittings you need.

In saying that though if you can find somewhere to mount a bigger OCC then that's fine and not a bad thing at all. ChrisB has used a Mishimoto oil catch can which is a fantastic piece of kit.

Mishimoto oil catch can: http://www.mishimoto.co.uk/mishimoto-baffled-oil-catch-can.html

ChrisB fitting his Mishimoto OCC: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/86592-precious-got-a-supercharger/page__st__80

After looking just now though Mishimoto do a smaller & cheaper catch can which I would consider up to the job: http://www.mishimoto.co.uk/compact-baffled-oil-catch-can-2-port.html

10mm Non return valve: http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/nylon-non-return-valve-10mm

(Ideally you want two of these ~ one for the PCV system & one between the brake servo & plenum)

Some info here about the brake servo non return valve setup: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/92285-brake-delay-when-hitting-at-top-revs/

Picture of my non return valve from my OCC to the plenum...

118_zps25a9faf5.jpg

More info on the PCV system in this FI thread (specifically post number 14): http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/82588-vortech-supecharging-technical-and-reliability-thread/

10mm I/D Gates fuel/oil hose is what I used: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GATES-Reinforced-Fuel-Hose-Heat-Oil-Resistant-4mm-5mm-6mm-7mm-8mm-10mm-ID-/330803508813?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item4d056cf64d

On the passenger side of my PCV system the hose is quite a bit bigger though and in order to not restrict it I used a breather filter on the outside of the pipe rather than internally. This meant I needed a 25mm breather filter.

Like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Air-Breather-Filters-Small-Crankcase-Oil-Mist-Mini-Fuel-Engine-Car-Quad-/190885445618?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item2c71a8bff2

Hope that helps. :thumbs:

• Like 1

As it happens, I've since splurged on that very smaller Mishi one to fit to my intake side.

This gives me existing strong reciprocating suction on the throttle near-closed side (pcv, original Mishi can with extra one way valve) for sitting in traffic and on the high flow rate side, cleaned intake suction with the new can on high load / boost.

Twin can. When I get to fitting it, I'll add to my thread of course. Possibly getting a bit overkill, but cans seem to work pretty well and in the scheme of things, not many cost units in terms of tanks of fuel. Clean air good. Oil in cans good :thumbs:

09D751EF-F9B9-4CD2-92C1-48C59DC6E856.jpg

• Like 1

I have ran multiple combinations of PCV plumbing in both NA and FI and I've settled for a complete VTA system ie both port are venting to atmosphere via individual filters. I have an occ on the driver side port as it vents oily vapour and the valve is drilled. The passenger side port hadly vents any oil and I've no found the need to put an occ on it.

This set up is not emission friendly which is the reason the OEM setup plumbs into the intake. Yes the vacuum help pulling out the gases too but not imperative as crankcase pressure will always be high than atmosphere. So the vapours find their way out.

I've had no issues and my car runs strong and faces a lot of track and fast riad abuse.

I agree that there is not one single way to do it and with FI in mind you just want to prevent boosting the crankcase primarily. The issue of preventing oil contamination is secondary and tbh not a signifant issue. How many OEM FI cars you know that come from factory with occ or complete diversion of crankcase from the intake plenum? It is mandatory as per emission rules. However if you did prevent recirc it will improve things hence why I'm fully VTA.

I will not advice connecting both ports to one OCC. It's a a bad idea. Study the VQ engine diagram of the PCV system and you'll see why.

There are many post of people who did this and had various issues.

WRT the occ itself the Rutland one does not cut it longterm and after I bought the third one I decided to get a proper Motorsport spec baffled can and I made it fit between the overflow tank and PAS reservoir. It helped because I have the aftermarket aluminium tanks which are smaller.

There are about 10 cars FI zed's here all using one or more of the system I described so it can't be that bad.

• Like 1

Not got a clue what you've just said :(

Sounds like you know what your on about though ......

Any links to add ? ;)

The link is in my post, on a boosted application I would always go for a bigger can, as it will aid with oil drop out, I would also go for bigger hoses at least 12 to 15mm, as this will also help, also on any application and even more so on boosted, I would always plump the outlet hose of a catch can back into the inlet (pre SC/turbo) as it will make good use of the PCV, which in turn helps with ring and oil seal weep.

GM the reason I advocated not using the Rutland can is one because its basically a compressor water trap, that's not to say it doesn't work as a can, but primarily because it doesn't have the necessary volume to have good oil drop out, which needs a certain amount of cooling to be really effective, and that's especially important ifs sealed can and the outlet is plumbed back into the intake as mentioned above.

BB81 I can probably do you a diagram if you want.

• Like 1

GM the reason I advocated not using the Rutland can is one because its basically a compressor water trap, that's not to say it doesn't work as a can, but primarily because it doesn't have the necessary volume to have good oil drop out, which needs a certain amount of cooling to be really effective, and that's especially important ifs sealed can and the outlet is plumbed back into the intake as mentioned above.

Fair enough Ricky.

I'll probably be looking at the Mishimoto one in the future that ChrisB has just bought as we like copying each other. :lol:;)

• Like 1

Fair enough Ricky.

I'll probably be looking at the Mishimoto one in the future that ChrisB has just bought as we like copying each other. :lol:;)

Ah Gareth my good man, that's a heck of a bit of timing you have there, I have a black one with red brackets that's never been used that I can do you a deal on ;)

• Like 1

Fair enough Ricky.

Ah Gareth my good man, that's a heck of a bit of timing you have there, I have a black one with red brackets that's never been used that I can do you a deal on ;)

That's very good of you but maybe see if Josh (Bodyboarder81) wants it as I'm sticking with my Rutland OCC just for now (after all it is working). ;)

Definitely be looking at changing that though in the long term so if you post it up for sale post the link in here so we can all take a nosey. :D

Fair enough Ricky.

Pm me up dude :)

The car is going to jez at Horsham ..... I'm hoping he knows what to do with it to be honest !! I'm very very confused ! Think ill just order the smaller mishimoto one ( big enough tricky ?) some 10 Id mm gates hose , along with a little filter ( Id 25mm ?) and 2 one way valve things again 10mm ones ? Sound about right ? Then dump it at Horsham :)

Chris b -

On a side note .... Love your little mishimoto rad temp cap ! Had any issues with leaking from it ? Are they the same size for the HR Zeds rad?

Can't say re HR - sorry. Mine is JDM/DE too which definitely take the small size of cap. Seems to work well as a shiny under bonnet temp gauge (and give 1.3 bar). It hasn't leaked yet - but I did at one point have a slight VQ airlock after chaning coolant which seemed harder to shift (due to the less expansion I suppose) than with a standard cap on. I swapped between them for a while until everything settled down by burping.

• Like 1

Josh, take a deep breath, hide your wallet and go for a quick walk, 10 minutes will do! Don't spend any more money, trust me :)

:lol:

Too late dude ..... Ordered 6 Meters of stainless braided hose ..... Oooo shiny :)

Yeah? Well, here you go, if you really want some shiny stuff :lol: :lol:

2015-03-30_22-17-22.jpeg

http://aamcompetitio...can-system.html