Anybody driven/own bmws m3 e9x?

Dashurik

Hi guys!

Im thinking to upgrade in near future and like the idea of owning BMW M3 E92..Looking at the performance its not that much torque difference from 350z !! 350z DE-268 ft·lbf and M3-295 lb·ft..There is quite a difference in hp but torque wise its almost nothing! Am I right to think that its similar driving experience or M3 is in different league? I like the idea of owning DCT model,not manual.Any info much appreciated .I will probably test drive it in near future to make up my mind.

Edited by Dashurik

Completely different league, they're not even close in performance in either a straight line or round corners. Even more so with the DCT, it's a seriously impressive 'box if you like flappy paddles.

Last of the high revving NA M cars. Buy one before everyone else does.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, it's not perfect by any means (there was a reason I bought a 911 not the M3) as it can feel a trifle staid inside as it's just another 3-series, but in terms of the actual drive I couldn't fault it.

• Like 1

I used to own an M3... think it was the E46 ? PHOENIX YELLOW !!!! Seriously fast car and completely useless in the winter. Had a 330 oupe before the M3 and went back to another one after six months with the 3. SMG version with both soft and hard tops.

Blew a small fortune as all three cars were brand new.

Got to be a good investment car if you keep it long term.

Great cars.

I nearly bought one a few years back but could only find ex lease cars in my price range. It's really important they're run in right so I didn't want a ex lease/company car.

The DCT box is epic and reliable. Changes are instant and savage.

They need to be rev'd to be enjoyed and to average drivers a chipped 335i feels quicker (due to the torque)

A friend has just bought a new f80 M3. He's letting me take it for a spin tomorrow.

I have a feeling I'm going to be very jealous. They definitely don't lack torque.

One thing I would say about E92 m3's is that most private sellers are dreaming with the prices they are advertising them for at the moment.

I wouldn't pay more than 25k for a clean 2010 DCT.

I don't agree that they are a good investment car. They are common and the values will go the same way as the E46.

Only m3 that is a investment car is the e46 CSL.

The 1M is a good investment too, but I think they're ugly.

Thanks guys! Like your comments ! I keep an eye on prices all the time.2009 with 50k miles goes for 23-24k and would have to say some of them disappear off the market within a week! White ones are very popular colour.Well my idea to buy and customise it with a bit of exterior goodies..carbon fibre ,new wheels..Not planning any engine mods.Audio sound is very important for me,harmon kardon is a minimum or individual sound(16 speakers).Need to sell zed first!

Edited by Dashurik

Great cars.

I nearly bought one a few years back but could only find ex lease cars in my price range. It's really important they're run in right so I didn't want a ex lease/company car.

The DCT box is epic and reliable. Changes are instant and savage.

They need to be rev'd to be enjoyed and to average drivers a chipped 335i feels quicker (due to the torque)

A friend has just bought a new f80 M3. He's letting me take it for a spin tomorrow.

I have a feeling I'm going to be very jealous. They definitely don't lack torque.

One thing I would say about E92 m3's is that most private sellers are dreaming with the prices they are advertising them for at the moment.

I wouldn't pay more than 25k for a clean 2010 DCT.

I don't agree that they are a good investment car. They are common and the values will go the same way as the E46.

Only m3 that is a investment car is the e46 CSL.

The 1M is a good investment too, but I think they're ugly.

I was looking to buy e46 m3 few years back(before 350).And honestly I don't think prices for e46 m3 are much lower now than 2-3 years back.BMW holding their value well !

Edited by Dashurik

E46 M3 have bottomed out interms of price, the E92 M3 have a way to go. Also remember petrol prices are 'cheapish' at the moment, when they go back up to 130/liter not many people are going to want a 4liter V8.

My modified 335 will hopefully sell today. As a every day car is it much much better than the Z, as a sports car, with the modifications I did, it's much much better than the Z.

I haven't owned a E92 M3, but the aim of my modifications on my 335i was to turn it into a M3 of sorts...So I cannot imagine you not liking the real thing!!

But be warned about their running costs, one of my mates is a fully qualified GP (so not short on cash), one of the reason sold his E90 M3 after 12 months because of running costs, I think he was getting 14mpg average!!

Edited by gangzoom

My zed is my weekend car only,same will be M3..Heard its better to have warranty on these car as if some "fancy" toys brake down they will be very expensive to replace! We only live once,as an alternative I can't see what else I can buy(not fancy cayman).I actually always liked BMW,bought zed cause it was cheaper than m3 e46 at that time when i was searching.Zed is a great car,like the way it drives,just want bit more luxury inside the cabin. Like that one,but unfortunately trader not interested in part ex.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3cf5f81ee5

Edited by Dashurik

e92 m3 is in a different league, Don't get the convertible its 300kg heavier than coupe/saloon and I could really feel the difference. Throttle actuators are a very common weak spot and costly to replace on the v8. Having a few BMW's and a couple 350'z reliability is far ahead against BMW's

Edited by flamez
  • Like 1

I've had my E92 since early September last year and getting used to it now.

Intially I was not too impressed but because I was constantly comparing it to my supercharged and heavily modified zed and secondly to be rewarded you need to drive it a certain way.

The engine is a peach and though it has only slightly more torque than a std zed the engine map/cams is very interesting and it seems this torque is everywhere and every time.

There is no doubt it will smash a std zed to bits in a type of test.

I have learnt to enjoy the comfort and performance and yes the running cost is a bit high on the std zed but still cheaper than my supercharged zed and now I do under 6k miles a year so it doesn't matter.

It's been reliable so far and the only thing that are negatives are the weight could be less, the electronic diff feels unnatural but works well, the subframe could do with stiffer bushes and just like the zed suffers with wheel hop on hard launches.

You can improve on braking, handling and exhsust noise to put your individual touch but I've decided to leave the car as std since as a road its up there with the best. I'll track it a few times this year then retire it to DD use only.

I've had the alpina B3.3, E30 M3, E46 M3smg, E36 328ci and driven the E46 330ci and E36 M3 evo, E46 M3 CSL and can say categorically that the V8 is an improvement on all the NA M3 in everyway and being the last of its kind should be in every petrolheads bucket list. I went for the manual but I would admit the DCT will even enhance the experience.

I just can't imagine who superb the new FI engined M3/4 will be. They will be epic.

Pic whoring.

73F5EA9B-8326-4085-A386-8A26F9DC5FB9.jpg

E371AC29-D8F8-458C-9CCA-DF84AF3731A7.jpg

45AC88CD-C5C7-4022-8C70-02E8FEE17987.jpg

• Like 1

I've had my E92 since early September last year and getting used to it now.

Intially I was not too impressed but because I was constantly comparing it to my supercharged and heavily modified zed and secondly to be rewarded you need to drive it a certain way.

The engine is a peach and though it has only slightly more torque than a std zed the engine map/cams is very interesting and it seems this torque is everywhere and every time.

There is no doubt it will smash a std zed to bits in a type of test.

I have learnt to enjoy the comfort and performance and yes the running cost is a bit high on the std zed but still cheaper than my supercharged zed and now I do under 6k miles a year so it doesn't matter.

It's been reliable so far and the only thing that are negatives are the weight could be less, the electronic diff feels unnatural but works well, the subframe could do with stiffer bushes and just like the zed suffers with wheel hop on hard launches.

You can improve on braking, handling and exhsust noise to put your individual touch but I've decided to leave the car as std since as a road its up there with the best. I'll track it a few times this year then retire it to DD use only.

I've had the alpina B3.3, E30 M3, E46 M3smg, E36 328ci and driven the E46 330ci and E36 M3 evo, E46 M3 CSL and can say categorically that the V8 is an improvement on all the NA M3 in everyway and being the last of its kind should be in every petrolheads bucket list. I went for the manual but I would admit the DCT will even enhance the experience.

I just can't imagine who superb the new FI engined M3/4 will be. They will be epic.

Pic whoring.

73F5EA9B-8326-4085-A386-8A26F9DC5FB9.jpg

E371AC29-D8F8-458C-9CCA-DF84AF3731A7.jpg

45AC88CD-C5C7-4022-8C70-02E8FEE17987.jpg

That is lovely going on my list I think

although I haven't even supercharged my z yet so Maybey a good one for when I need more than 2 seats

Nice comment gt4! You certainly have experience with BMW cars! Is yours EDC model? Out of curiosity when you sold your FI zed did you loose a lot as initial investment on the whole car?

Yes I've got the EDC. I think it works great and a must have option.

I only sold my supercharger kit as I in the process of getting a custom monster supercharger set up capable of 700whp with a built engine. The project is delayed due to some other commitments but will happen eventually. When you have driven a well sorted zed and with loads of power you can never want something else. I will never sell my zed if I can help it.

• Like 1

As others have said, great cars but you have to work them hard to get the best out of them, you wouldnt regret buying one :)

Except I bought a 135i instead and I certainly havent regretted it at all ;)

P.S. If youre looking at an E90 M3 the XFR, C63 and Lexus IS-F are all worth checking out too :)