One month in the Zed

silstream

Hey folks,

Well it's been just about a month in the Z so far so thought I'd take a moment to reflect on the experience so far, and incorporate a few newbie questions that I haven't heard answered elsewhere if that's ok???

The Good

The whole experience from the moment you first sit in the car, smell of fresh leather through turning the key to hear the V6 rumble with so much potential! Love the centre console running upto short stubby gearstick etc. Build quality is much better than expected - all my mates comment on how non-Japanese it feels! Good to see the rest of the world catching up with Germany here...

Love the little touches I still keep spotting, e.g. the Z logo inside the door (i.e. only visible when the door open), the orange side LED's on the front (06+) lights, wipers with integrated washers, Z logo from rear brace you can see reflected onto back windows etc. etc. I keep finding more hidden gems!

The clutch is much lighter than I ever expected (even knowing it would be lighter on 06+ models) with high biting point so still adjusting to it to be honest (I need to do more miles!) but otherwise pedals feel great - steering very positive and lots of confidence in handling... performance is also slowly improving - not the car but my ability to drive it (more used to turbo-charged hatches!) so lovely to keep seeing hidden depths and the knowledge I won't master the machine overnight! The little drift mentioned below has also got me thinking about a track day so will hope to look into that too when funds allow...

The looks! Ok so I'm preaching to the converted but I was in two minds initially but having a seeing a couple on the roads now I'm totally sold! p.s. got passed by a lovely GM 56 plate on the M3 (J4->J3) on Saturday afternoon complete with stubby aerial so must be on the forum...

Modding - I love the standard car but can't wait to start modding so am busy saving to sort the essential stuff, exhaust, non-orange reflectors, pop charger plus would love the Nismo kit but all in good time!

The Not So Good

Early Drifting Lesson! - On the second day in the car, slightly wet roads just pulling off a roundabout at only 20mph, the back end steps out (approx 20 degrees from where the wheels were pointing anyway) - either my natural opposite lock instinct ;) or the ESP kicking in managed to recover it - completely unexpected and still got no idea why it happened. What makes it more bizarre is my wife got home a few days later after we had to swap cars for the day and she had the exact same experience (ESP in her case of course :teeth:) in the same place. It's not been repeated elsewhere so putting it down to oil on road etc and not the car although I pushed her Boxster S round the same corner in the wet with no worries at all... I know it's born to be the perfect drift machine but stepping out that easily?

Colour - I know it's been mentioned before but the colour matching from metal to non-metal (e.g. fuel filler, window surround) not exactly great - to be honest I only noticed it with the car in the garage and didn't even realize until then the window surrounds weren't metal...

Bluetooth Kit - I assume my car should have come with the full bluetooth adaptor as this was supplied with all 06 GT models on right? I have the preparation of course - just don't have the adaptor itself to sit in the cradle? Please let me know as if so I'll go back to the dealer as I believe this should have been provided?

Indicators - it's a small complaint but I swear they don't auto-switch off as readily as any other car I've driven - I keep finding myself having to switch off the indicators myself even after completing a 90 degree left turn - anyone else have this issue and can it be adjusted?

Heated Seats - work great for a while but unlike other cars I've owned I believe from the manual that these have a thermostat so the moment they get slightly warm they cut out so they're forver heating and cooling instead of sustaining a fixed level of heat? I assume they're working correctly or am I missing a trick?

CD - The usual Bose skipping issue is really bad so will need to get that replaced under warranty - have read the posts on the forum so thanks for all the input and advice...

Beyond that, all the good inifinitely outweights the bad so overall I'm just loving the car and can't wait to start modding it!

Thanks again all for such a great forum!

cheers,

Pete.

p.s. standard model so far but he she is!

http://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1pc7E1 ... 8JghsduPEo

The Standard brigestones 040's dont get raved about on here, and its recommended you swap once they've worn out. I think someone on here said they were so bad on his car, he got them swapped straight away, although i never experience them myself so cant say for sure. but it could be them that caused the Tokyo drift moment! :teeth:

I was never impressed with the paint either, but something i just lived with.

Glad you enjoying the car anyway. From what ive heard the Z is great fun on track.

Oh and the car looks great! B)

sorry mods - not sure why the pic link didn't work? works fine if I paste it directly into the browser?

needs to have a .jpg extension and the site your using isn't offering that.Use photobucket which is free and does all you need

not noticed the issue with the indictators. Mine seem fine.

Know what you mean reagrding the heated seats. I had a TT before and they were loads better

Bridgestone tyres are poor in the wet

Yes you should have the Bluetooth adaptor, as it came as standard fit (UK), last owner probably sold it on separately. You can get them discounted from Holdcroft with forum discount

Re the indicators not clearing, just like mine had it back to the dealers, he road tested it and confirmed the problem but would not do anything as another one in the garage was exactly the same.

Ive never noticed the issue with the indicators - probably because I rarely indicate anyway :blush:

My car is a lot better after switching from the bridgestones, May be worth getting the tracking checked out aswell

I think we've all experienced at least one of the things on your list!

Was thinking the same about my seats only yesterday- its not a massive problem, its just thats its blooming cold at 7am!

On the tyre front, if you are looking for a wallet friendly alternative to yours, try the Falken FK452's. Awesome tyre and cheap as chips!

Makes drifting more of a preference rather than a suprise!

Or failing that, speak to Stuey- he is the master of the sub 20mph drift! :lol:

The first of the 06 models were delivered to the dealers without the Blutooth adapter. The car should have one so the dealer is obliged to supply you with one foc. The system is pretty crap, but you may as well get what you are entitled to.

Not if the previous owner removed it as Mike suggested.

I have to say I have experianced ALL the points you raised Pete (except sticky Bose :p ), especially the indicators. Also they are not too loud, so when they do not cancel you get no warning (or am I listening to the music too loud?)

There are some really slippy roundabouts in Bracknell, which I have had fun withwhatever car I have been driving. especially around Doncastle House and the old ICL building. You will get used to the drift and enjoy it.

Dont think I have spotted you yet, but I'm sure I will soon.

Thanks all for the great feedback and good to know I'm not alone with these little woes - still all it takes is a little burn down a good road and you forgive them all!

Thanks for the input MAB and yeah, will keep an eye out for you too... the "drift" roundabout is very near the ones you mention - it's by the drive-thru McDonalds joining the Mill Lane dual carriageway (good job 2 as I needed both lanes!)

Re: the Bluetooth adaptor, again appreciate the input. Mine's actually a 56 plate so assume it should have definitely been provided with the car. Slight problem might be that I purchased the car from a Vauxhall dealer not Nissan - the advert for the car did quote "Bluetooth Phone Preparation" but I'm sure they're covered against mistakes - will call the dealer and see what they'll do... I actually purchased the car without seeing it with deposit conditional on the car being completely mint which is as they described it. Obviously gave the car a good going over when it arrived plus drove it before paying any money - just missed this...

If the dealer won't cough up, I'll add it to the ever expanding list of mods needed for the car. Got £1000 saved so far so think I'll stick to getting the Nismo exhaust and hi-flow cats before the phone kit! Replacing the side reflectors with anything non-orange is high on the list too...

For the tyres it sounds like a perfect excuse to wear them down on a track day - although I might try and stick with them for 3-4 months in the hope I can save up some more pennies for the GT4 wheels which I'd love too...

One more quick question - I'm assuming any minor mods applied to the car (e.g. popcharger, exhaust) will not affect the manufacturers warranty overall? Also would adding Nismo parts make any difference here assuming they are then "Nissan Approved" modifications?

Thx again folks,

Pete.

Had the same problem with the stones on my car, but it might have something to do with them only having 3mm on them :lol:

Changed to MPS, now they've worn down 1k miles they are brilliant and so much more progressive in the wet. It's certainly not a car you can learn all it's abilities overnight though.

I've got the stuttering, spluttering cd player when cold, waiting for the dealer to reply with a replacement. They took the cd player out and scanned the serial number for some reason - watch this space.

My biggest moan is rear clicking driveshafts, had them "replaced" under warranty but I think the dealer just turned them and greased them - will be back for yet another day in the dealer. What a pain in the backside.

Still wouldn't swap the car for the world, nothing else comes near for the money.