New roof - ouch!!!

nictry

So decided to bite the bullet and rather than trying to patch up the splits/wear and despite exploring multiple options I ended up just going for a complete replacement roof this week for my 350.

I can't say that laying out nearly 15% of the purchase price didn't hurt but have to say the difference between the old vinyl 9 year old and the new Mohair is like night and day (to my eyes anyway) I can't say it seems much quieter to be fair although the whistling at motorway speed has now gone (prob due to the hole near my ear in the old one :) but at least I won't need to keep changing the towel that was soaking up the water from the seal crack in the usual top corner!

Only time will tell if everything is ok with the new roof I guess as right now too damn cold to put it down (and need to keep it stretched for a week or so anyway)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by nictry
  • Like 3

So decided to bite the bullet and rather than trying to patch up the splits/wear and despite exploring multiple options I ended up just going for a complete replacement roof this week for my 350.

I can't say that laying out nearly 15% of the purchase price didn't hurt but have to say the difference between the old vinyl 9 year old and the new Mohair is like night and day (to my eyes anyway) I can't say it seems much quieter to be fair although the whistling at motorway speed has now gone (prob due to the whole near my ear in he old one :) but at least I won't need to keep changing the towel that was soaking up the water from the seal crack in the usual top corner!

Only time will tell if everything is ok with the new roof I guess as right now too damn cold to put it down (and need to keep it stretched for a week or so anyway)

Good to hear. Got any pictures?

Also where did you get the work done. Questions about roof repairs / replacement come up frequently so it would be good to have a reliable source for people to go to

• Like 1

Which roof did you go for?

I'm tempted though I don't really need one.

The first place I got a quote from had 2 Z's in being done and were really busy. This surprised me as the owner was full of sh1t and clearly a rip off merchant. He lied about where the his replacement roofs were from and his quote was ridiculously expensive.

I found another place in cheadle that was much more reasonable. The standard of the work was really good too, but there is a bit of a waiting list.

Seems like it's worth shopping around.

• Like 1

Sorry should have put up more details, I used Car Hood Warehouse near Chessington, total cost was £845, this was for the black mohair and to be honest I chose them as they seemed to have been around for a fair while and can't fault the service, the hood looks great, can't take pics as morning it was frozen over and now it's dark :(

Sorry should have put up more details, I used Car Hood Warehouse near Chessington, total cost was £845, this was for the black mohair and to be honest I chose them as they seemed to have been around for a fair while and can't fault the service, the hood looks great, can't take pics as morning it was frozen over and now it's dark :(

They're near me, £845 seems a bit steep but you get what you pay for. Will keep a note just in case.

Some rather wet pictures on the IPhone to show the new roof

As to the cost, I found no one except the guy in Wales that was anything under £800 and too many places put 'conditions' on about potential leaks, seals etc. which made me nervous, although carhood warehouse still had similar warnings the longevity of the company and customer service they provided throughout my initial enquiries etc. made me thing it was worth paying the extra £50 or so over other places.

post-22048-142447224722_thumb.jpg

post-22048-142447226174_thumb.jpg

aa625ae2ea7887924d2079d40da6265d.jpg

Edited by nictry
  • Like 1

I replaced my roof back in September.

Best thing I ever did. Mine was a Robbins one from California (think that was £450) then I got it fitted in Haywards Heath by some great guys who'd been fitting roofs for 35 years. They'd never done a 350z before, so they did lots of 'homework' and spoke to a couple of other fitters in the UK, all that wouldn't gaurantee that the sensors would fully work (apparently a known problem that Robbins were also aware for). Most places would only supply the roof and not fit!

I will admit, I was nervous, but had full faith in the fact that if theses guys couldn't do it, then no one would be able to!

Got the car back and we did have a slight leak over the back corner, so they had it back and moved the bar slightly and stretched it using heaters. Then I've had it down a couple of times to test, and I've left it all winter to stretch.

The black colur is a real deep black and chuffed to bits with it. Definitely worth doing, just got to hunt out people you can trust. The quality is amazing too

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Which roof did you go for?

I'm tempted though I don't really need one.

The first place I got a quote from had 2 Z's in being done and were really busy. This surprised me as the owner was full of sh1t and clearly a rip off merchant. He lied about where the his replacement roofs were from and his quote was ridiculously expensive.

I found another place in cheadle that was much more reasonable. The standard of the work was really good too, but there is a bit of a waiting list.

Seems like it's worth shopping around.

Can you please add Names and prices quoted please. Did you ever get it done?

Looks really nice. The old stock canvas type hood does tend to fade etc and look a bit rough after a few years. I managed to restore mine back using a roof cleaner & conditioner stuff from halfords every 6 months, but I later found out that the new owner of my old car had the whole hood replaced as it had started to wear through eventually.

I'll be getting this done in the new year, anyone any recommendations for the Glasgow area?

I've already got Trim Workshops number, was just wondering if there's any more?

Also has anyone any experience of Trim Workshops?

Thanks.

Robert.