How long should a compression arm last?

RobPhoboS

I've got 2 types of poly bushings here ready to go into them, just will see what Sly things regarding either brand and quality. :thumbs:

It really was just a curiosity thing regarding these parts, I replaced my ones a little while back but it's frustrating that a company like Kinetix/SPL etc etc haven't actually come up with an improved design (yet).

I also wonder if the poly bush helps improve/reduce the longevity of them ?

Edited by RobPhoboS

Are you running SPL Front comp arm rear bushes? If so they will never be quiet. I use them on our heavy duty track cars/race cars and they are normally noisy straight away.

I would always use Super Pro bushes nice and quiet and will last forever I would say.

Edited by Mark@Abbey m/s

Are you running SPL Front comp arm rear bushes? If so they will never be quiet. I use them on our heavy duty track cars/race cars and they are normally noisy straight away.

I would always use Super Pro bushes nice and quiet and will last forever I would say.

Hi Mark (MANY thanks again for the top mount on Sat !),

I've got Superpro and Prothane, most likely the Superpro for this specific part will go on, seems better engineered for this bushing.

At the moment it's just the standard rubber in there, looks fine though (not touching any metal parts at that end).

I replaced my ones a little while back but it's frustrating that a company like Kinetix/SPL etc etc haven't actually come up with an improved design (yet).

I think your suggestion is misleading Robbo. Have you used Kinetix or SPL parts?

I have the engineering is fantastic. My whole car is fully bushes with the SPL solid monoball bushings from Superpro/ energy suspension combo and there is no squeaking, rattling or banging. There is an increase in NVH as the solid bushes transfer all the road noise into the cabin via the chassis. I can even go one step further to say that there is minimal difference between my polybush setup with the solid bushes wrt NVH.

I agree that urethane will outlast the OEM bushes but not a poorly designed one. Superpro, whiteline are well designed and probably up there. Overall energy suspension are good but their compression bushing is not as well engineered and would cause bind imho. From what I see looks like prothane are ok but we await your feedback being the first to try them on.

We shouldn't forget that these cars are mostly a decade now and when upgrading some areas it can expose problems that were concealed by the good dampening effect of the OEM rubber bushes. So strange noises, knocks etc need to be investigated thouroughly. I've seen front top mounts that were completely seperated due to rust, worn/shrunken bump stops etc as all accuse for strange noises after bushing change.

so what item is causing the noise at the moment? the ball joint (at the hub) or the rear bush onto the subframe?

Oh, that's either just the piston rod in the new shocks (didn't torque them due to not having the right tool - just on f'ing tight), or possibly the ball joint end on the compression arm (front left, stops noise after left foot braking).

I replaced my ones a little while back but it's frustrating that a company like Kinetix/SPL etc etc haven't actually come up with an improved design (yet).

I think your suggestion is misleading Robbo. Have you used Kinetix or SPL parts?

How is it misleading mate (?), I said it would be great if Kinetic/SPL etc would make a replacement for the compression arm. (I think you've mis-read what I typed)

I have the engineering is fantastic. My whole car is fully bushes with the SPL solid monoball bushings from Superpro/ energy suspension combo and there is no squeaking, rattling or banging. There is an increase in NVH as the solid bushes transfer all the road noise into the cabin via the chassis. I can even go one step further to say that there is minimal difference between my polybush setup with the solid bushes wrt NVH.

I agree that urethane will outlast the OEM bushes but not a poorly designed one. Superpro, whiteline are well designed and probably up there. Overall energy suspension are good but their compression bushing is not as well engineered and would cause bind imho. From what I see looks like prothane are ok but we await your feedback being the first to try them on.

We shouldn't forget that these cars are mostly a decade now and when upgrading some areas it can expose problems that were concealed by the good dampening effect of the OEM rubber bushes. So strange noises, knocks etc need to be investigated thouroughly. I've seen front top mounts that were completely seperated due to rust, worn/shrunken bump stops etc as all accuse for strange noises after bushing change.

Once again, no disagreements whatsoever from me here.

I literally, innocently wondered how long compression arms should last in daily driving conditions, and then wondered how poly bushings affect this as well (good or bad) - IF at all. I imagine it would be more beneficial with a poly bushing/solid due to less stress on the ball join end.

Obviously I'm no engineer but just logically pondering :lol:

Edited by RobPhoboS