Is this normal after fitting plenum spacer ?

PPod

Ok, so a few weeks ago i finaly put in my wasso plenum and also changed my air filter as it wasnt in good condition. So from starting it up i get a much louder noise but about 20secs later it idles much lower noise as before.

Next when i use to switch down gears a got a very nice loud gurgle noise but now its a much quiter noise and passengers have noticed this the most.

When i just rev the car its much louder and also when driving and it goes past 3000rpm the exhaust is much louder but below that the car sound normal and not the drone noise it use to have.

Final point is when i change gears ita a hell of a lot smoother and sometimes when in 1st and not putting much acceleration it use to chug a little its now gone.

So are all these points normal after fitting a spacer?

It sounds like your dB has changed dramatically. What was the dB output before and after?

This will answer all of your woes.

Also check the rubber hasnt changed on your soles, as this often causes a difference in pedal feel.

:thumbs:

Edited by Pritchard
  • Like 1

So i just let my dad drive it as he hasnt drove it with the plenum yet. He felt the car picked up alot better and that when idling it was far too quiet to what it was before. It was sitting about 650 and iam sure it was at 1000rpm usualy. Pretty gutted that its so quiet but my dad loves it now as he thought it was too boy racer the way it was before :(

I guess its better to feel a diference in response than noise i suppose.

As above shouldnt be idling at 1000rpm, sounds like the car is running better now. From what I remember most people have quiet low revs and a nice noise when you put your foot down, sounds like your car wasnt right at all before you did the mods.

As for stuff in peoples heads, its easily done, try get your mates in the car and say to them that you sorted the problem and that its noisier again at low revs and see if they agree when you drive them in the car...

Edited by coldel

Cheers guys just scared incase simething was wrong lol

I got a k&n air filter i have stock air box. The old one was damaged in the middle and was dirty markes at the top. I get a swooshing noise when i rev when stationary with bonnet open never got that before.

Thats weird about the idling going to a better level very strange

Ok little update here:

So my engine light is always on and now by some miracle its off how is this possible ? And when in second gear driving slow theres something rattling under my feet. Man this is so annoying looks like its garage time for me tomorrow :(

The standard intake manifold on the z is very restrictive. Now you have increased the size and flow from the filter your engine can breathe more freely.

Before when you let off the throttle the huge vacuum in the manifold would cause the engine to slow down really quickly, giving you that jumpy feeling. Now when you let off, the engine can slow down smoother, plus accelerate smoother too.

As others have said, it sounds like it was running rough before.

You said the old air filter was damaged. Did it have a hole in it? This would make a difference. Or it could be as simple as the filter was very dirty and the car was struggling to breath. A new filter could change the noise if it's a different make or was dirty /damaged.

It sounds like your paranoid about the car now and hearing all the noises :lol:

The rattling could be your cat heat shields, it's very common. Or maybe just your drive train rattling a little now the idle revs have dropped a bit lower.

Yep i am paranoid haha just like to know whats going on with the car.

The engine light was on due to high flow cats being fitted by previous owner but his mate wiped the error code. Then when the + cable slipped off the battery and left car dead for 20mins light came back on so i left it up until it vanished.

The air filter was a red one that i see sometimes on here and in the centre 2 of the panels had been pushed to the side and damaged. Wouldnt go back. But would be hard to beleive that was the problem