DIY Interior Thread

zebedy

So I decided to change a bit of my interior. Colour will be Burnt Orange Alcantara and Brushed copper and painted copper accents.

Random pics to follow.

DSC_0326_zpsptvnb5aq.jpg

DSC_0327_zpswravdqv3.jpg

DSC_0328_zpsnhkr5cuy.jpg

DSC_0330_zpshfhcaprq.jpg

DSC_0333_zpsxnlhccyk.jpg

DSC_0334_zpsp2sc5fjy.jpg

DSC_0335_zpslam6egre.jpg

DSC_0337_zpszeolism5.jpg

DSC_0338_zpsejhw86uc.jpg

DSC_0343_zpsqzz7pje0.jpg

DSC_0342_zpswrbigznx.jpg

All pretty self explanitry so far.

2 nights ago I started with a test piece for the painting of some interior panels. 1 dust coat and one layer of acid etch primer for plastics. 5 coats of primer with plasticiser, 6 coats of copper and 2 coats of clear gloss.

DSC_0536_zpsfduqg75l.jpg

DSC_0537_zpspmfzrgfw.jpg

DSC_0538_zpsyxfycyhv.jpg

DSC_0539_zpsherzhoto.jpg

i wont bore you with the stages, so last final two steps.

DSC_0543_zpsno9wrcl6.jpg

DSC_0545_zpsu2bsdpgm.jpg

Im very please with the test piece and so will now carry on. And yes I know it may not be everyone's cuppa tea, but Ive gone in the lines of the colours already in the car as standard and Im loving it to be different to others Ive seen one here.

One last thing....can someone post me a link to the door panel removal and door handles removal. I cannot find it for the life of me. Thanks...more pics to follow as I progress.

Zeb.

• Like 1

I like the copper, something different. Be interesting to see how it all comes together :thumbs:

How are you finding the Halfords EDGE speakers? Since I was going for an orange theme when I had the Zed, I considered them but didn't hear many good things. However, those reviews were probably by the sort who are willing and able to pay £500 for a pair of speakers.

ye its loctite fabric spray.

the edge speakers are the top of the range from vibe (the big rectangular ones and rock) The smaller edge ones are the smallest in the range and are an exact fit. There is only high and mids coming out of there as they are fed together with the fronts. So most is comming out of the big vibes with lesser volume from the tops and doors.

I rate them for the price from experience and will hold steady too with a suitable matching amp if needed.

and yes thats OZZY by DDB. All 15st of him. Loves it in the summer with shades on and top down drooling everywhere. lol

DSC_0483_zpstrxjxv6x.jpg

DSC_0492_zps19tblfkh.jpg

and not forgetting the latest edition to my family... "IGGI"

DSC_0464_zps3rz5jidq.jpg

THE 3 MONTH OLD IGUANA. He too will be 4 to 5 ft long. eeek !!!!

• Like 2

One last thing....can someone post me a link to the door panel removal and door handles removal. I cannot find it for the life of me. Thanks...more pics to follow as I progress.

Zeb.

Hi Zeb, here's a good guide for you & hope it helps: http://liljerk.morpheus.net/350Z/front_speakers/

Great progress pictures & loving the pets. :D Maybe add them to the pet thread if you have time. :thumbs:

Link: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/25215-the-350z-uk-pet-thread/page__st__920

Ok. So some interior pics now showing the speaker builds in place.

URL=http://s1375.photobucket.com/user/nigelrees123/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-02/DSC_0549_zps7wv0vckc.jpg.html]DSC_0549_zps7wv0vckc.jpg[/url]

DSC_0550_zpsavildsrb.jpg

I have clear Perspex which will go in place of the smaller cubby hole doors with some kinda logo or something on there with a light inside reflecting through ala Amy's baby blue z. Sorry Amy for pinching that idea.

The gear surround is just snapped into place to guage the bronze colour in the day light and the new razo neo chrome er...knob.

I think I like it, and feel its gonna look quite classy so may have to go for brown or reddy tan leather seats perhapse? I don't know?

Hi Kyle. Yes. I was shocked too. They were an option but surly with leather so I'm miffed but pleased at the same time.

So today I've just taken off the top half of the central console. Easy enough. Two screws at the bottom and a firm pull, unclip the single loom for the three pods and hey ho.

DSC_0558_zpswueq8ilf.jpg

Next to come off we're the pods. Again two screws and all comes off leaving the scalloped moulding pods in place.

DSC_0559_zpsxxywn6ur.jpg

So you end up with this ....

DSC_0561_zps0uu4eub4.jpg

Ok so here's the odd part....each pod moulding is loose and held on with two screws each at the front BUT...the other end has been kind of spot welded, plastic welded in one place. Because I wanted to remove them completely to wrap the upper and lower faces of the moulds I had to snap off the welds. Just pull each one in turn and twist and the plastic weld snaps. These can be welded back with a hot knife blade or bonded.

DSC_0562_zpspypzaxao.jpg

Here's one snapped off.

DSC_0563_zpsvqhdjuxh.jpg[/url

Make sure to number match although they will only go back one way anyway

DSC_0564_zps6htufmpq.jpg

Before I paint this I'm going to make my frame for the 7" tablet. It's just gonna be some MDF sheet with a square hole and the tablet stuck from behind. Just like a picture frame and covered in the same suade as the rear speakers. Then hard wired in for the power and a switch bypass if it switches itself off. So constantly on with ignition and will stay on without ignition on because of the battery charge within the tablet. Unless someone knows a better way.

DSC_0560_zpskdllidba.jpg

This is the wrap. Stunning brushed copper. The only problem I think is that it's foil and not vinyl and so cannot be applied in three axis, ie will not bend around a compound bend. Good for flat surfaces with a bend in one direction only. We,ll see how it behaves.

DSC_0565_zpspqp46ksy.jpg

A better pic showing the brushed grain.

DSC_0566_zpsl1vglfda.jpg

And the part that's going to be wrapped...

DSC_0566_zpsl1vglfda.jpg

That's all for now. Painting next and re assembly. So far it's a piece of cake which anyone can take on.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the latest pics of the centre console. The gear stick gaitor is crap and I had made it too tight lol When in either 6TH or reverse it would pull the whole surround away. Gonna dig out my OEM one and get the old gal to replicate it with the same material.

So whats your thought on the colour guys?? Any feed back would be great.

DSC_0596_zpsj9bvalue.jpg

DSC_0595_zps1toiccuy.jpg

DSC_0597_zpslz8tvlmo.jpg

DSC_0599_zpsylemxvco.jpg

DSC_0600_zpsvu2j2haj.jpg

DSC_0601_zpsmm6brrrm.jpg

you may have noticed that I did not use the brushed copper wrap on the pods. Im suspitions were correct. You cannot apply it in 2 directions, even after heating. My new head unit went in too and adjusted the display to match the console, (there are 150,00 to choose from apparently ?) Its a 120 quid jobby from Halfords. Sony. And has everything on it like USB, aux, RCA outs, SUB Out, bluetooth phone, bluetooth audio, remote control and since I have a Sony Z3 phone, the links are seamless and also there are apps available to download onto your phone that gives a graphical display to alter all the HU parameters. Highly reccomended

• Like 1

just to add, the tablet at the moment is on the outside. It will eventually be positioned from behind to make a more permanant feature.

These pics are crap. How can I reduce the size??

Edited by ZZZebady