This years road trip - planning has started

SteveM

So each year we take a week out and go on a road trip in the roadster, a couple of years ago we went to the south of france via the Verdon Gorge and on down to Monaco to drive the circuit then up to do the Col de Turini . last year was the Swiss end of the Alps taking in most of the major passes including the Furka, Stelvio, San Bernadino..... the list goes on. so this year we have been talking about taking 2 weeks out to travel a bit further! after meeting several people on our trips who have said the the coast road in Croatia is worth driving we are thinking of giving it a go!

so far we have a pretty full schedule!

Day 1 (Saturday) home to Calais then to Heidelberg in Germany – 460 miles (long first day)

Day 2 (Sunday) Heideleberg to Konstanz (Germany) via the Route 500 – 180 miles

Day 3 (Monday) Konstanz to Davos (Switzerland) via Liechtenstien the onto the Diga di Luzzon dam (massive climbing wall, my other half is into climbing) and then along the San bernadino pass – 250 miles

Day 4 (Tuesday Davos to Merano (Italy) along the Fluela pass, Ofenpass, Umbrailpass, Stelvio Pass (opposite direction to we did it last year) – 150 miles

Day 5 (Wednesday) day in the mountains around Merano and Bolzano – 150 miles

Day 6 (Thursday) Merano / Bolzano to Rovinj (Croatia) – 280 miles

Day 7 (Friday) Rovinj to Split (Croatia) along the coast road – 260 miles

Day 8 (Saturday) Split to Dubrovnic (Croatia) along the coast road - 140 miles

Overnight ferry to Bari (Italy)

Day 9 (Sunday) Bari to Sorrento (Italy) over the mountain roads – 220 miles

Day 10 (Monday) Sorrento to Rome via Amalfi – 200 miles

Day 11 (Tuesday) Rome to Livorno / Pisa along the coast – 200 miles

Day 12 (Wednesday) Livorno / Pisa to Bologna and the Ducati Factory then on to Verona (Italy) – 200 miles

Day 14 (Thursday) Verona to Bern (Switzerland) via the Furka Pass and the Grimsel Pass – 300 miles

Day 15 (Friday) Bern to somewhere in either France or Germany, undecided yet – 250 miles approx

Day 16 (Saturday) back to Calais then home – 250 miles approx.

we have a day in hand ( the Sunday at the end) to either spend time at home chilling OR extend the trip 1 day longer somewhere in the middle

lots of planning still to do but really starting to look forward to this now

• Like 3

Nice, sounds like an epic trip! I love driving distances, when you look back and think of the things you do each day its incredible, each day seems impossibly long.

we hired a car from Trieste a few months back and drove around the Slovenian alps and northern tip of Croatia - stunning countryside, Rovinj is an amazing place :thumbs:

when you enjoy the driving and the roads are great you dont realise the hours and distance you do! we actually end up having to stop ourselves after about 7 or 8 hours each day. not booking hotels is the key to it.... just drive till you feel like stoppinng then find somewhere nice, we have ended up in some fantastic locations doing this

• Like 1

Must not copy and paste again, must not copy and paste again

Although i am now addicted to road trips and will be heading over that way this year at least once :)

I'm going on an organised trip but would love to just roll with it free lance

What would you say you spent on acomadation

yep as Will said... we budget for £100 a night and never end up spending that amount, pretty much ended up at between £60 to £90

top tip.... if you stay in a decent sized hotel you can rob the breakfast buffet and make up a lunchtime sandwhich as most of the swiss / german / austrian type breakfast include ham and cheese with nice rolls and a basket of fruit. i never felt comfortable doing that to a small family run place but the bigger ones no problems. means you can stop for lunch wherever you want.

we had a great packed lunch at the top of the Stelvio whilst everyone else was queing for overpriced food from the stalls

I'm going on an organised trip but would love to just roll with it free lance

do a bit of research before you go on roads you want to drive and possible places you want to see then just go for it.... most places in the Alps are out of season Ski resorts so have LOADS of rooms available plus you will end up in small out of the way villiages that you would never find on the internet let alone think of booking a room there

i sent Will a few bits last year based on a bit of research i had done and by the sounds of it he had a blast

• Like 2

Sounds great, a bit longer than our annual tour around France, I see you haven't decided on a stop between Bern and Calais, Troyes is a great city and we've stayed in a fabulous boutique B & B in Troyes ,if your interested PM me and I'll give you details.

we have thought about Troyes as we stopped in there for lunch and had great Moule fritte in the old town one year. to be honest we will probably try and come back up via Germany and Belgium because of the tolls in france but if you could PM me the details anyway that would be great... i will send you a PM about it

cheers

I think the op might be a little ambitious on his mileage calculations. In my experience 150 miles a day usually translates into about 5.5 hours in mountainous regions and that's before you add on petrol stops, food stops, pee stops, photo shoots and getting lost.which always seems to add up to about 8 hours.

As for hotel costs, if you want to keep them down you can choose Travelodge type hotels like Ibis, Campanile, Premiere Classe which are usually in the £35 to £60 range. I usually find hotels on Booking.com using the filtres I want and then check out the hotels themselves on Trip Advisor. If you want pretentious hotels though I'm sure you can find them for £90.

been there done that for several years and have worked out just how many miles we can do in a day in which conditions and on what roads... but i guess we shall see, if your only doing 150 miles in 8 hours including stops then you need to use the right hand pedal a bit more ;)

plans have already changed slightly... going to give Rome a miss and fly there for a longer break another time, really dont fancy driving int Rome for an overnight stay and know we should stay there a bit longer

are you planning on visiting Florence? stunning city, been three or 4 times already and still love it.

Also, i'd avoid Naples like the plague, horrid place - its one big Italian traffic jam, the coast might be nice but there's a 6 lane road right on the front, which detracts somewhat.

That does sound like a fab trip, too many miles each day without a decent rest for me sadly - even with a heavier right foot. :lol:

Sadly my back just says Noooooooooooooooo !!!

It is annoying when you plan your trips around your body, but then it could be much worse.

I agree, Florence is stunning.

Duccati factory sounds interesting.

been there done that for several years and have worked out just how many miles we can do in a day in which conditions and on what roads... but i guess we shall see, if your only doing 150 miles in 8 hours including stops then you need to use the right hand pedal a bit more ;)

...maybe but considering you've been there and done that for several years, you may be aware that on the spot speeding fines or even confiscation of cars apply in countries like France and Switzerland.

Generally 150 miles a day translates into 4.5 to 5.5 hours driving and if you prefer not to munch your dinner between shifting gears nor do petrol stops like race refuelling, you may find it takes closer to 7/8 hours on mountain roads

• 1 month later...

full set of brakes and tyres fitted, Return train crossing booked and ferry crossing from Dubrovnik to Bari booked!

Heidelberg in Germany, route 500, Konstanz in Germany, Diga di Luzzon dam, San bernadino pass, Davos, Fluela pass, Ofenpass, Umbrailpass, Stelvio Pass, San Leonardo pass, Rombo Pass, Rovinj in Croatia, Split in Croatia, Dubrovnik in Croatia, Bari in Italy, grotto palazzese, Amalfi, Sorrento, Pompei, Bologna and the Ducati Factory, Verona in Italy, Furka Pass, Grimsel Pass, Bern in Switzerland then heading home via Germany and Belgium.

2 weeks, over 4000 miles, over 15 tanks of fuel and some of the best driving roads in europe...... cannot wait!

Edited by SteveM

That's a serious amount of mileage, my back is wincing at the thought of it. Currently booking a 7 day Eurotrip now, pretty much the reverse of our 2013 trip and <2200 miles, covering a lot of similar ground as your itinerary.

I love the whole thing but not enough to want to spend two whole weeks in the car. Even that gets dull after a while.

Choose your credit card carefully, lots of petropoints to be had on that trip!