"The Great Car Con" - channel 4 now

ioneabee

and finally the car manufacturers with their "claimed" figures

the only thing i can say for this is - in their defence - if all cars are measured the same way - we as consumers have a bench mark to compare them (ignoring the fact that they don't/won't/can't achieve those levels in the real world)

exactly the same for EPC's for houses - absolutely worthless ..... but it compares all houses from the same benchmark

• Like 1

If they all did the same things, yes, but it doesnt look like they do.... its just a worthless figure that could never be repeated with a full customer car. So whats the point of it?

Missed the end of the program, what was decided RE diesel? Rubbish, bad decision, etc I wonder who lined their pockets with that decision?!?

Edited by grahamc

The thing with diesels is the wrong people buy them i.e. People who will not do many miles and short trips. I honestly fail to see the point of small diesel cars, the engines are designed to do lots of miles but why would you do lots of miles in a small car?

Modern big powerful diesels are fantastic and anyone who says they are not has not driven one :p Yep there is zero exhaust/engine noise and if I could have afforded it I would have had the petrol V8 in my Jag, but I enjoy driving it every bit as much as I did my Zed :drive1:

• Like 1

The thing with diesels is the wrong people buy them i.e. People who will not do many miles and short trips. I honestly fail to see the point of small diesel cars, the engines are designed to do lots of miles but why would you do lots of miles in a small car?

Modern big powerful diesels are fantastic and anyone who says they are not has not driven one :p Yep there is zero exhaust/engine noise and if I could have afforded it I would have had the petrol V8 in my Jag, but I enjoy driving it every bit as much as I did my Zed :drive1:

we used to get this at SEAT as it would clogg the DPF filters try explaining to a customer they bought the wrong car for what their doing then seem them storm off to the salesman who sold them the car

I'd rather my truck had a big V8 than the 3.2L I5 diesel lump. I'm sure I'd get better fuel economy out of it, too.

Most people would, I don't think anyone chooses a diesel because they prefer the engine to a petrol one, no chance you would get anywhere near the economy though. I average 50% better in my 3l V6 diesel compared to the 5l V8

If there was a diesel 370z I bet it would sell just as well as the petrol rightly or wrongly ;)

• Like 1

we used to get this at SEAT as it would clogg the DPF filters try explaining to a customer they bought the wrong car for what their doing then seem them storm off to the salesman who sold them the car

As much as it's the salesmans job it is also for the customer to be aware. My brother in law bought a Mazda 6 estate diesel, him & my sister are both retired so do just shopping runs etc, within 6 months the car had been back to the dealer with DPF problems about 4/5 times then just before the warranty ran out it went back again and they said they could clear it but really it needed a new DPF at £1,500 so they got rid for a Seat Estate (can't remember the model) with a petrol engine :thumbs:

Edited by spursmaddave
  • Like 1

I dunno, I get better fuel economy from the BMW than I do from the truck!

As for the 370 diesel, just look at how popular the derv TT is.

I average just under 30 in the Jag, it has been as high as 50 on a cruise down to Cornwall and as low as 14 on a hoon in Wales with my mates that very nearly set fire to my front discs and calipers :lol:

Not sure you can compare your Beemer and a truck, I have had a couple of diesels, my Leon and my Jag and from talking to guys on forums I have got about 50% better economy than if I had the petrol equivalent, and not lost out on performance too much either. Unless you count top end power over 80/90mph which you don't get to enjoy too much on the road, mid range grunt is epic, I have to admit on a long run I quite often overtake a load of cars and then let them all catch up just so I can do it again :blush:

• Like 1

I dunno, I get better fuel economy from the BMW than I do from the truck!

As for the 370 diesel, just look at how popular the derv TT is.

I average just under 30 in the Jag, it has been as high as 50 on a cruise down to Cornwall and as low as 14 on a hoon in Wales with my mates that very nearly set fire to my front discs and calipers :lol:

Not sure you can compare your Beemer and a truck, I have had a couple of diesels, my Leon and my Jag and from talking to guys on forums I have got about 50% better economy than if I had the petrol equivalent, and not lost out on performance too much either. Unless you count top end power over 80/90mph which you don't get to enjoy too much on the road, mid range grunt is epic, I have to admit on a long run I quite often overtake a load of cars and then let them all catch up just so I can do it again :blush:

chav

:p

We bought a diesel which does mainly short trips.

When it went through the dpf cleaning cycle( gets extremely hot and cooling fans at full blast) I wondered what the hell was going on and googled it and only then learned that diesels were not good for short trips, potential costs of new dpf etc.

Had clearly been brainwashed that diesel was better and more economical.

Guess it is just a matter of education ......

And yes, will buy petrol next time around.

Maybe they should change the VED system from CO2 to NO4? That way diesels will have to pay more.

I can see what's going to happen, though. They're going to start pushing small petrol turbo engines because they are cleaner, then in 20 years figure out that in fact they produce something much worse than CO2 and NO4 and then the push for full blown electric will be here.

Maybe they should change the VED system from CO2 to NO4? That way diesels will have to pay more.

I can see what's going to happen, though. They're going to start pushing small petrol turbo engines because they are cleaner, then in 20 years figure out that in fact they produce something much worse than CO2 and NO4 and then the push for full blown electric will be here.

Just wait until more vehicles are hybrids and pay no VED at all, they'll soon change the system once the tax revenue dries up.

Just wait until more vehicles are hybrids and pay no VED at all, they'll soon change the system once the tax revenue dries up.

True. If I am correct, anything under 100g/km has free VED, I would imagine when electric/hybrids are more common that this will probably half, but only be applicable to cars registered after a certain date, similar to the 2006 VED hike.

They might actually have to start calling it Road Tax again. I still think you should pay per mile then it's representative taxation for amount of use. I know some will argue that we already do with fuel duty etc, but that tax isn't going anywhere and neither is VED in some form or another. As Dan says, we have at least 100 days where it won't be changing! :)