Help car won't start!!

RickyZ

Just got back from Australia, haven't used the car for 5 weeks. The battery was flat so I tried jump starting but it still won't fire. The volts are to 14 when connected and the starter motor is turning but the power steering and fans won't work. Any advice please?

How did you unlock the car .if you had to put the key in the lock instead of pressing the button on the key the battery is never going to take a charge .fit a new battery and lock the car with the button then open it to reset the immobiliser .

I could unlock the car with they key, so it wasn't completely dead. I've borrowed a trickle charger off a friend and will leave that on for a while and try it later. Otherwise I guess I'll just buy a new battery. Not sure what the fuel pump sounds like so I'm not sure if that's working.

• Like 1

I could unlock the car with they key, so it wasn't completely dead. I've borrowed a trickle charger off a friend and will leave that on for a while and try it later. Otherwise I guess I'll just buy a new battery. Not sure what the fuel pump sounds like so I'm not sure if that's working.

The fuel pump makes a buzzing noise for 3-4 seconds when you turn the ignition key to the 1st position.

So I've left it charging all night and it still won't start. Has anyone had symptoms like this before, will a new battery fix it or shall I bite the bullet and get it towed to my nearest garage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, battery now fully charged? ...is turning the car over perfectly, is fueling & firing but not catching!? -> Open air box > Easy Start ... :D (I love that stuff)

My battery died a few weeks ago, I charged her for a couple of hours and she fired straight up (4 weeks sitting) - ( now dead again ) .. if the car was fine before your trip - Battery has to be the No1 suspect IMHO

Yeah it's firing and not catching. Freezing weather probably doesn't help. Not sure about using easy start, is it safe? Thinking just get it towed now and pay a garage to sort it

No I haven't got a spark plug tester. I'm not that mechanically minded to be honest. I had new plugs with my P3 service lay year so they're not that old if that makes a any difference

Yeah it's firing and not catching. Freezing weather probably doesn't help. Not sure about using easy start, is it safe? Thinking just get it towed now and pay a garage to sort it

RAC Home start .... a useful to have (although I fell out with them after I had a shunt and they wouldn't collect me -> RTA / Police involved) - they have sorted me out twice in the past 6months (one a dead battery funnily enough/Merc)

Easy Start is safe, and pretty simple to use..... if she's fueling and firing but not catching, it's worth a £4.00 punt IMHO

Well I had it towed to my local garage in the end. The battery was completely dead and the butterfly on the throttle body had seized up. That's why I couldn't start it with jump leads. I guess the moral of the story is to get someone to run your car for you if your leaving the country for a month.

• Like 1

Obviously your seized TB will have most to do with your issue, It might be your battery had completely coated the electrodes and wouldn't allow any current to even pass through it also. But for anyone with flat battery issues, I've had it where I left mine for 2 months once - the way I jump start is to earth to an engine lifting eye or somewhere safe you can clamp to the chassis. I use the strut brace actually but find what's comfortable for you. Fires up a dream every time, and it was so flat before that it wouldn't even try to turn.

Edited by Lanky