Smoke, ticking and EMLs... help please

simmo310890

All plugs and coil packs changed and no difference made. Was having a good look with a headtorch and looks like the cam cover has a leak on the inside. Easy job on a Z? And no doubt expensive i would have thought? This wouldnt be causing my running issue though would it?

All plugs and coil packs changed and no difference made. Was having a good look with a headtorch and looks like the cam cover has a leak on the inside. Easy job on a Z? And no doubt expensive i would have thought? This wouldnt be causing my running issue though would it?

It is common for the cam cover gaskets to go and leak. It's a fairly cheap fix if you can do it yourself & replace just the cam cover gaskets.

Link: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/80779-rocker-cover-gaskets-for-oil-leaks-vq35de/

Did you have any oil on your old spark plugs when you replaced them?

If so then it just got more expensive as you will no doubt need the cam covers themselves as well as the new gaskets to sort out the oil leak.

Link: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/80780-new-nissan-cam-cover-assembly-vq35de/

Usually this doesn't cause any problems that I'm aware of per se apart from increased oil use obviously & possibly causing a burning oil smell as the oil leaks over the manifolds.

If oil was covering your plugs then it could cause some rough running but as you've replaced these & still have the issue I doubt it's that.

I always use vpower as i live 30secs from a shell, its what was used for the previous 9 years i do not know, apart from the first owner, he was from here attackZ or something along those lines so he would have used vpower for sure.

Last service reciept said 5/30 fully synthetic for oil

He's still here and it would have been run on premium when he owned it :thumbs:

Pretty sure attakz mentioned getting rid of the car because it was using oil, so it's been using oil for quite a while.

Yep I'm pretty sure your right. If I remember right, he said it burned a fair bit of oil so decided to trade it rather than sell it.

As suggested, I would carry out a compression/leakdown test and take it from there.

Flashing means it has gone into limp mode - so more serious than just on permanent. Also means you shouldn't drive it now as you could potentially cause more damage.

Still could just be sensors/VVT etc though. But further investigation needed.

So had an hour on the car today before the storms set in.... all cylinders seem to be working fine apart from 4. I did the unplug coil pack test thing on it. Each one had a noticible difference in engine noise whereas 4 had no change pluged in or not. Re changed plug/ coil pack with 3 different ones, no change. Compression test booked in for friday

Edited by simmo310890

Fingers crossed for you.

You seem handy with spanners if your changing plugs and coil packs, why not buy your self a compression tester for £20 and do it yourself? Could have done it by now with all the plug swapping you've been doing. Are you pulling the fault codes using a reader? It could be used for more info, fueling etc

Another consideration could be an injector. If that plug is a lot whiter than the other 5 it could have been running lean due to a faulty/blocked injector. I have had a faulty injector on mine before, making it lumpy, and the first indication that it may have been an injector was a lean looking plug. Although you have the burning oil problem so might be a long shot............but if the injector had been faulty for a while causing that cylinder to run lean and causing det, that could lead to piston/ring damage and burning oil......so you never know.

Have a read though here for an idea on how I found mine - http://www.350z-uk.c...+running +lumpy

(Note: my misfire EML code wouldn't show as I believe it may have been turned off during the Uprev.)

Cheers for the reply, will have a read. I was going to give fuel injectors a go tomorrow depending on the weather, was just going to change 4 and 2 around and see if the misfire changes spots.

No idea why i said booked in for the compression test, after them taking a while to book me in and then me seeing online how easy it is to do i bought one on monday night, so still being done friday.

On a seperate note i see there are a fair few Zs being broken online, does that mean there is an ok market for non runners/ breakers

So did a compression test last night and this morning. Both reading were the same but not what i expected...

1-65 2-65

3-65 4-0

5-65 6-70

All results are psi and like i said did the test last night and this morning and came the same each time. Cylinder 4 didnt make any tick noise when turning it over, also the plug from 4 was far hotter than the others when i took it out.

smoke wise this was what it was like on warm up this morning

20150116_101442_zps85038025.jpg

I know it's not totally correct, but I have never done it with the throttle open.

I've never had a problem getting good readings.

Something isn't quite right with yours as they are all low, but i would say the important thing is still clear...... No. 4 is toast.

Sorry to see this, I'm afraid it's looking like a rebuild / new engine for you.

Edited by Sam Mcgoo

Upper pelenium was still luke warm to touch so gave cylinder 1 a retest with the throttle open and it went up to 75 thats it.

just to check im doing it right,

Warm engine up

all plugs and coils out

remove fuel pump relay

open throttle butterfly, kept open with a clean towel

Fit compression tester

turn engine over 8 times

see result

• 1 month later...