Track car - Mazda MX5

grahamc

Well, I have just left a deposit on a MK2, which I will be collecting on Friday smile.png Will need to get the car out on a track day or 2 and see how she performs before I start my "wish" list, but so far the list is:-

-hardtop

-rollcage

-bucket seats

-harnesses

-overfenders

-some sort of daft rocket bunny style rear spoiler

-some wide deep wheels

PM me if you have some of the above parts wink.png

Awesome! If you ever need any advice or anything feel free to give me a shout, and get on MX5NUTZ if you've not already!

Here's my Mk2 track car!

a9ave3ur.jpg

I'd add to your list a set of decent coilovers and some braced chassis rails (From the likes of Jass or P5).

Edited by RyanT

The selling section on Nutz is ruined now, after the rejig. I tried selling my bits on there, but got pretty much zero response because it's too hard to browse.

Exactly that!! I have been struggling to use it as well, cant even find a place for a wanted ad

Edited by grahamc

And collected the car today :D

1_zps210b52ea.jpg

2_zps6c076989.jpg

Key areas I will be focusing on over the next few weeks/months will brakes, aero and safety, so will be looking for these parts:-

So if you know of anyone with parts, Im looking for:-

-hardtop

-rear rollcage/roll over bar with harness bar

-bucket seats (happy to trade my current seats - leather looking and heated)

-harnesses

-overfenders

-some sort of daft rocket bunny or ducktail style rear spoiler

-some wide deep wheels (nice aggressive fit to the car with arches)

-Silver front wings/fenders

-Silver rear bumper

And a couple of newbie questions......

-What big brake setups are recommended for these cars?

-Are the rear rollover bars good for track work? We are going to use the car on the road a bit (not a great deal - have others for that) but will be more for track.

-Does anyone have a template of rear diffusers?

3_zps29f96735.jpg

Hi mate,

Regarding brakes, you may find the standard items are OK after fitting decent fluid and pads, after all its such a light car. However a common upgrade (and one I've done myself) is fitting the brakes from the Mk2.5 SV-T sport trim level, which are larger, easily found (and cheap) and an easily swapped. They've proven more than good enough for the people that run more than twice stock power.

I wouldnt go on track without a roll bar. Most of us go for TR lane roll bars as they allow the roof / hard top to operate as normal (and doesn't restrict the seat travel backwards) but still bolts securely to the chassis. They also offer door bars which you may also be interested in.

EDIT: MX5NUTZ user Vindi manufactures his own ducktail spoilers which are lovely, seen on my car here:

35DCA116-9565-4753-834C-1643D4DF85C4_zpsvy2x85it.jpg

Also as for wheels, unless you're buying lightweight ones like 6UL's you may find wide heavy wheels can 'bog down' a standard powered MX5. People generally recommend using the lightest 6.5/7J wheels you can find and running 195 profile tyres (which also means you have a decent amount of cheaper sticker track rubber available). A good option here is the standard Mk2 enkei alloys seen here:http://blog.twwhitea...X5_mk2_rear.jpg as they are hollow, extremely light and cheap.

Use that money saved to buy tuition with Mazda on Track which'll make you far faster than anything you can bolt onto the car.

EDIT 2: If you are fitting a hardtop, remove the soft-top as it's very heavy!

Edited by RyanT
  • Like 3

Hi mate,

Regarding brakes, you may find the standard items are OK after fitting decent fluid and pads, after all its such a light car. However a common upgrade (and one I've done myself) is fitting the brakes from the Mk2.5 SV-T sport trim level, which are larger, easily found (and cheap) and an easily swapped. They've proven more than good enough for the people that run more than twice stock power.

I wouldnt go on track without a roll bar. Most of us go for TR lane roll bars as they allow the roof / hard top to operate as normal (and doesn't restrict the seat travel backwards) but still bolts securely to the chassis. They also offer door bars which you may also be interested in.

Thanks

Both sound like good options.

• Like 1

That's the first time I've seen your old MX5 Darren, didn't realise it was an SC setup :thumbs:

But yeah, if it was me running an MX5 on a budget I'd just do what I did with my old one: Strip it, roll bar, seats, steering wheel, then either the grippiest or slippiest tyres you can buy.

• Like 2

That's the first time I've seen your old MX5 Darren, didn't realise it was an SC setup :thumbs:

But yeah, if it was me running an MX5 on a budget I'd just do what I did with my old one: Strip it, roll bar, seats, steering wheel, then either the grippiest or slippiest tyres you can buy.

Not a bad idea....... cant knock it at all :)

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned suspension yet? I used to have a mk2 and did some gym khana and the standard suspension was so wobbly... Put some koni springs and dampers on and it was transformed, highly recommended!

It was mentioned at the top, but I have bad experience with coilovers, makes the ride very unforgiving.... so will be leaving this to last. SC kit sounds more entertaining than suspension ;)

• Like 1

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned suspension yet? I used to have a mk2 and did some gym khana and the standard suspension was so wobbly... Put some koni springs and dampers on and it was transformed, highly recommended!

It was mentioned at the top, but I have bad experience with coilovers, makes the ride very unforgiving.... so will be leaving this to last. SC kit sounds more entertaining than suspension ;)

You probably bought / experienced cheap coilovers (Racelands, TA Technix, etc..). If it was me, coilovers/3D fast road alignment would pretty much be at the top of my list. Go for Meister R, Gaz, BC etc, which can be picked up for circa £300 2nd hand on the forum.

You probably bought / experienced cheap coilovers (Racelands, TA Technix, etc..). If it was me, coilovers/3D fast road alignment would pretty much be at the top of my list. Go for Meister R, Gaz, BC etc, which can be picked up for circa £300 2nd hand on the forum.

Tried BCs twice, dont like them... For me decent suspension is going to cost more than the car ;)

Edited by grahamc

I ran Meister-r's on my Mx-5 pretty much on the softest setting to make it drivable with full poly bushing on the car. If I was to go down the MX-5 route again I'd skip the poly bushing if I was contemplating road driving & if going FI would probably go for the same suspension setup as it does help put the additional power down, also really helps if your going to go for sticky tyres.

Otherwise if I was going NA I'd probably just put a rollbar (these really stiffen the car up) and some top end budgets with some aggressive pads such as yellow stuffs, then go have some fun :drive1

• Like 1

I ran Meister-r's on my Mx-5 pretty much on the softest setting to make it drivable with full poly bushing on the car. If I was to go down the MX-5 route again I'd skip the poly bushing if I was contemplating road driving & if going FI would probably go for the same suspension setup as it does help put the additional power down, also really helps if your going to go for sticky tyres.

Otherwise if I was going NA I'd probably just put a rollbar (these really stiffen the car up) and some top end budgets with some aggressive pads such as yellow stuffs, then go have some fun :drive1

Will be staying NA and unmodded (engine wise) for now, although the ITBs are appealing ;)

Will add the rollover bar and see if that stiffens things up enough, after that swaybars...

Some more aggressive braking options would be good though, so just yellowstuff pads?