Vortech owners

Bodyboarder81

Best description of a V2 at idle I heard was, Put 2 shovels of sand and 2 of gravel in a washing machine and turn it on that's the noise a V2 makes when it's working properly :lol:

Yes they are noisy at idle - setting the rpm to 950 (mine was 900) does help with the rattle but they are still noisy.

The V3 although I only had mine for a couple of months was a lot (I mean substantially) quieter.

:)

Edited by Keyser

My start up (ticking over) revs are now around 1,000 were appx 750 before supercharger fitted. There will always be a metallic sounding whizzing noise a bit like a aeroplane jet this gives it a sound that separates it from a turbo charger this easily identifies it as a super charger. Lovely noise.

Edited by cmck13

My start up (ticking over) revs are now around 1,000 were appx 750 before supercharger fitted. There will always be a metallic sounding whizzing noise a bit like a aeroplane jet this gives it a sound that separates it from a turbo charger this easily identifies it as a super charger. Lovely noise.

I can deal with that sort of noise but a rattle/ chatter which I've heard on vids on youtube just sounds so bad ....

Chris- you say that your v3 was alot better ..... Did they change something in them or do you think you just lucky?

I concur with this. My V3 doesn't rattle at all, but my car idles around the 1000 mark. There is always belt/pully/gear whine however, as you'd expect.

I concur with this. My V3 doesn't rattle at all, but my car idles around the 1000 mark. There is always belt/pully/gear whine however, as you'd expect.

That's good to hear .....

I'm not going to go down this route if it sounds like a bag of spanners when I pull up !!

Maybe they changed something on the v3 version then?

I need to meet up with someone who's has one and have a listen I think........,

I'm not going to go down this route if it sounds like a bag of spanners when I pull up !!

I'm with you mate our engine sounds so sweet be a shame to spoil it

I'm with you mate our engine sounds so sweet be a shame to spoil it

Ya , I don't mind a whine at idle and obviously more noise when pressing on but if it sounds Broken when I'm at a standstill this would really ruin it for me ..... I hate rattles !

* mission to find a v3 owner close by *

Do you mean the optional 36K mile warranty? They mention it on their website but there are no details on it, which is really helpful. My gut feeling is that it'll come with a lot of get out clauses, hence the reason it's only offered on the stage 2 kit.

Regardless, any FI addition to an engine IS going to harm it. You can do it as properly as you like, but unless you're going to build an engine for it then you are going to get increased wear and tear across the board. You could halve the life of the engine easily. Would it bother me? Not a jot. My own MR2 has an aftermarket turbo conversion, and I'm fully aware of the risks of it going pop, but I'm also not letting it bother me.

What I will say is that I would never buy direct from the US on something like this, as it's a lot of hassle if anything goes wrong (been there, done that, nearly bought a plane ticket to go and sort it out!). Pay a little extra and buy from a UK supplier, that way you've got all the law over here to fall back on which is much simpler than faffing around with different laws from different states.

Indeed, buy US parts from a UK supplier :thumbs:

With a built engine, the sky is the limit. You could put £10k in easily, but you'd get a lump capable of 800bhp for that. My mentioning of that may be a bit of a purple pilchard, a DE is safe up to about 400bhp without too many worries and a HR more like 600bhp. Of course, if you want 500bhp and own a DE... ;)

To keep OEM reliability, you have to stay OEM.

Saying that, NAS intake and exhaust mods aren't going to make any real world differences to the longevity of the V6 at all. Any FI options will though.

As for what the engine will take, I'd take a look at the U.S. forums or ask Octet, as they'd both be much more knowledgable than me on that one.