This MPG reading cant be right....can it?

cjh

I have been driving my Z the same route every day for a year now and ive never seen less than 17mpg. For the last week the reading said 4.5mpg, today 4.6mpg.......with an average of 22mpg and ive even been driving slightly slower because of weather. Can this be right....has anyone else seen anything this low?

3.jpg

brim the tank, reset the mpg reading, then compare readout with actual consumption in a weeks time.

I'm sure 4.5mpg is wrong, even track work wouldn't see it drop that low.

This!

That way you'll find out if it's a sensor or something silly, or a real problem :surrender:

I get more then that on a trackday! I always reset my trip when I fill up and reset the MPG. Usually I get 22-28mpg and 320-400miles. Winter uses more fuel with the longer warm up time.

Fyi you don't need to warm the car up, ....just start the engine, seat belt on & off you go driving sympathetically until the engine's properly up to temperature (not just water temp but oil temp too more importantly).

E.g: Don't over rev the car (try to stick below 2.5-3rpm) for the first 10 miles/10-15 mins of driving.

Op that MPG is very wrong. :lol:;)

• Like 1

I get more then that on a trackday! I always reset my trip when I fill up and reset the MPG. Usually I get 22-28mpg and 320-400miles. Winter uses more fuel with the longer warm up time.

Fyi you don't need to warm the car up, ....just start the engine, seat belt on & off you go driving sympathetically until the engine's properly up to temperature (not just water temp but oil temp too more importantly).

E.g: Don't over rev the car (try to stick below 2.5-3rpm) for the first 10 miles/10-15 mins of driving.

Op that MPG is very wrong. :lol:;)

Sorry I didnt meant warm the car up stationary. Just running the car slowly from cold takes longer to warm up then the summer months.