Pick up the new motor today

H1979

So, I'm on my way to pick up my new car, a silver (or is it grey?) 350 from Junction 17 in Nottingham. Chopping in my 56 plate passat estate, so it's a bit of a change for me and the running costs may take some getting used to. Fingers crossed they've sprayed the bumper and mot'd as promised.

B-)

Cheers guys. Just got home, was planning on spending the afternoon washing, polishing ans waxing, but the damn weather put a stop to that. May just switch out the aerial for the new stubby (should take about 30 seconds) and possibly have a go at spraying the inside door handles, the chocolate seems to have rubbed off a bit. Will get some pics up if it stops raining.

a2orry - good shout on the tyre pressure and oil levels, did the tyres (good job, they were down to 32 and 30), not done the oil, will do that tomorrow. May be a silly question, but do you guys tend to top up to max or keep it in the middle of the stick.

As an update, spent the afternoon cleaning the inside, was pretty clean obviously but they'd used that sticky shiny stuff on all the plastic so had to get that off asap and had a wipe around the engine bay, but that was as clean as I'll ever bother to get it in fairness.

On the drive home I must admit I was struggling pulling off and with my changes from 1st to 2nd, got a little better as the drive went on, but it could take some time to pull off like I've been driving as long as I have (about ahem 17yrs). Can't wait to really open it up, was only tickling it today being new and wet. Loving the sound of it :teeth:

One thing I did spot while under the bonnet is that the coolant bottle had no cap on it, can't believe I didn't spot that when I had a check under there before picking it up. Anyone any idea where I may be able to pick one up on a Sunday?

Cover the bottle temporally and :pmzmanalex:, he will have spares

The gear changes do take time as does the clutch as its quite heavy, I found when I put a smaller solid knob on it felt so much nicer changing gear.

Also replaced the gearbox fluid and that made it smoooooth B)

Congrats on the purchase and hope you are enjoying your Zed so far despite the minor issues.

Defo consider changing gearbox oil as mentioned above. I changed mine and also added Molyslip. Brought them from Ewen, Clarks Motorsports who is a trader here. Great service at good price.

Trader link http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/207-clark-motorsport/

P/S: don't press the magic button just yet 😀

Edited by veeg33

I bagged myself a solid metal gear knob and it does improve it somewhat. I have just about got my head around wet driving in the Z after a month. Coming from a rear drive M3 I thought it would be similar but it's not. The power delivery in the M wasn't as immediate which gave you a safety margin of sorts, the Z seems to deliver more torque lower in the rev range so using a higher gear and keeping it smooth helps. Even with the safety cushion button on it twitches occasionally just to remind you that it commands respect :)

Cheers for the info guys, much appreciated.

Can't see me pressing the magic button for a long while, if ever, I may think I'm a good driver, but in reality I don't have a great deal of talent.

I have had mine since June and still haven't pushed the magic button. I'm too scared!!

Cheers for the info guys, much appreciated.

Can't see me pressing the magic button for a long while, if ever, I may think I'm a good driver, but in reality I don't have a great deal of talent.

I have had mine since June and still haven't pushed the magic button. I'm too scared!!

I had it off every now and then but only in safe conditions just to test the limits of the car. I must say it was good fun but must remind myself not too get too carried away. B) having said that, I had TC on 99% of the time. Zed is too precious :wub:

I have found these take a little while to get used to. I've had mine a month now, done about 1200miles. I find the traction control does cut in very early so find myself turning it off quite alot. When I bought my e39 M5 the rear wheel speed sensor went and I had to drive home from Fife to Hampshire, steep learning curve but I have always treated any rwd like it wants to throw you off the road at any time.

My personal opinion is you can't always rely on the safety systems so it's good to have an understanding of what it does, but practise in a safe place.