Insurance and Modifications

gumpy000

The easy answer is "What does your policy say?". If you follow that, you cannot go wrong.

Some (like Admiral) want to know about anything that isn't on a base-spec car: In the case of the 350Z, that would include Rays if fitted as an option. In the case of an average 3-series, it could take a couple of pages! Some insurers (like A-Plan, who I'm with) want to know about mods, but unless you're going for massive power they won't load the policy: For example, my track slag has no interior which is covered under 'interior changes'. Some insurers (like Sky, who I was with) didn't care about factory options on my 911, but did care about official extras I'd added after purchase, like a sports exhaust.

Follow the policy wording. Really, to be safe just tell them about everything: Some will care, some won't, but either way at least you'll still be covered. Never make the assumption that it's so small that they won't care (like a stubby), as that's how you end up with issues.

I rang for a quote from Admiral who stated that they wouldn't insure a 350 with mods!

I'm also with Flux now . . . . .

i do think admiral make it up as they go along some time or the telehandlers have very little idea about what there doing

as i insured my is200 with them told them it was lowered with wheels no issue

my friend at the time had a civic fitted coilovers told him he had changed the suspension and they told him unless it was out back to stock they couldn't continue his policy

I think I'd check your policy wording Steve, I was under the impression that Admiral didn't accept modifications, from experience some of their call centre staff wouldn't know the difference between a steering wheel and wide wheels!! My experince was from 2 years ago so it may have changed, just a heads up really.
  • Like 2

The easy answer is "What does your policy say?". If you follow that, you cannot go wrong.

Some (like Admiral) want to know about anything that isn't on a base-spec car: In the case of the 350Z, that would include Rays if fitted as an option. In the case of an average 3-series, it could take a couple of pages! Some insurers (like A-Plan, who I'm with) want to know about mods, but unless you're going for massive power they won't load the policy: For example, my track slag has no interior which is covered under 'interior changes'. Some insurers (like Sky, who I was with) didn't care about factory options on my 911, but did care about official extras I'd added after purchase, like a sports exhaust.

Follow the policy wording. Really, to be safe just tell them about everything: Some will care, some won't, but either way at least you'll still be covered. Never make the assumption that it's so small that they won't care (like a stubby), as that's how you end up with issues.

I rang for a quote from Admiral who stated that they wouldn't insure a 350 with mods!

I'm also with Flux now . . . . .

i do think admiral make it up as they go along some time or the telehandlers have very little idea about what there doing

as i insured my is200 with them told them it was lowered with wheels no issue

my friend at the time had a civic fitted coilovers told him he had changed the suspension and they told him unless it was out back to stock they couldn't continue his policy

I think I'd check your policy wording Steve, I was under the impression that Admiral didn't accept modifications, from experience some of their call centre staff wouldn't know the difference between a steering wheel and wide wheels!! My experince was from 2 years ago so it may have changed, just a heads up really.

im with sky now so its no issue just they seem clueless unless you want to insure a 1.4 fiesta in your mid 50s

• Like 1

+1 on Admiral,

I have been with them for the last 4 years as they are half decent with mods. I actually went with them for my new car even though there was cheaper options as I know I was going to be adding mods on during the policy.

I used to work for Kwik fit insurance when I was 18, I believe if you crash and have mods you didn't advise them at the time. The insurer would check what the price would be if you had told them. If it was £100 more then you would owe them that. If they wouldn't have quoted you in the first place then you could be in bother.

When I started one of the girls who went through training with me was selling for fun. Head and shoulders above the rest of the team. One day she got called away from her desk and sacked on the spot. Guy had called and told her that he had £12K worth of modifications on his car and listed them all. She decided not to bother putting them on the system so she could get the price cheaper and the guy took it. 2 months later he crashed, they can obviously go and listen to the original call which they did. Ouch!

When I started one of the girls who went through training with me was selling for fun. Head and shoulders above the rest of the team. One day she got called away from her desk and sacked on the spot. Guy had called and told her that he had £12K worth of modifications on his car and listed them all. She decided not to bother putting them on the system so she could get the price cheaper and the guy took it. 2 months later he crashed, they can obviously go and listen to the original call which they did. Ouch!

shouldnt he have checked his documents tho and noticed no mods declared ?

• Like 1

shouldnt he have checked his documents tho and noticed no mods declared ?

He never lossed out, the girl got the sack and Kwik fit had to foot the bill as they aren't an underwritter so the company who was underwritting the policy wouldn't have insured him in the first place.

I am surprised she was lucky to just loss her job as I would imagine it would have cost the company quite a lot!

in an ideal world:

Dear Mr Insurance Man,

I have just fitted a Big Brake Kit > Excellet Mr Pritchard, I shall reduce your premium now that you can stop quicker during regular driving

I have just stripped out my interior to reduce weight > Excellet Mr Pritchard, I shall reduce your premium now that you dont have a Radio to steal.

I have just removed my rear seats, my 5 seater is now a 2 seater > Excellet Mr Pritchard, I shall reduce your premium now that only a maximum of 1 passenger can make a claim if you have an accident.

I have just fitted a loud exhaust > Excellet Mr Pritchard, I shall reduce your premium now that people can hear you coming sooner when they cross the road.

i have just fitted HID lights > Excellet Mr Pritchard, I shall reduce your premium now that you can see that you can see further during night driving

I have just fitted premium winter tyres > Excellet Mr Pritchard, I shall reduce your premium now that you're less likely to skid in adverse conditions, and stopping distances are improved

I have just fitted a full engine conversion from a V6 to a LS3 V8 > Excellet Mr Pritchard, I shall reduce your premium now that your fuel economy will be so poor that you will be driving less, so less chance of an accident.

• Like 5

in an ideal world:

Dear Mr Insurance Man,

I have just fitted a Big Brake Kit > Excellet Mr Pritchard, I shall reduce your premium now that you can stop quicker during regular driving

I have just stripped out my interior to reduce weight > Excellet Mr Pritchard, I shall reduce your premium now that you dont have a Radio to steal.

I have just removed my rear seats, my 5 seater is now a 2 seater > Excellet Mr Pritchard, I shall reduce your premium now that only a maximum of 1 passenger can make a claim if you have an accident.

I have just fitted a loud exhaust > Excellet Mr Pritchard, I shall reduce your premium now that people can hear you coming sooner when they cross the road.

i have just fitted HID lights > Excellet Mr Pritchard, I shall reduce your premium now that you can see that you can see further during night driving

I have just fitted premium winter tyres > Excellet Mr Pritchard, I shall reduce your premium now that you're less likely to skid in adverse conditions, and stopping distances are improved

I have just fitted a full engine conversion from a V6 to a LS3 V8 > Excellet Mr Pritchard, I shall reduce your premium now that your fuel economy will be so poor that you will be driving less, so less chance of an accident.

That's exactly how it happens, however, right at the end the insurer says "Now that your car is faster and more desirable, I will be doubling your policy price" :D

in an ideal world:

Dear Mr Insurance Man,

That's exactly how it happens, however, right at the end the insurer says "Now that your car is faster and more desirable, I will be doubling your policy price" :D

Or not as the case maybe. I remember my first car was a 1971 850cc mini which had a staggering 34bhp. It would do 80mph flat out at a push and if it came to any hills id end up having to change down to 2nd or 1st gear nearly to get up them. As I loved the racing look, I fitted a full safety devices roll cage in it, which weighed a ton and actually made the car even slower. Being a good boy I told the insurance company who promptly doubled my premium as apparently now I was more likely to roll the car. :lol: I shopped about and actually found very few companies would actually touch a car with a roll cage in it so I was a bit stuck for choice.

• Like 1