Goodwood festival of speed

nixy

Never been but always wanted to! The hardest bit when you live miles away is getting a hotel.

Sold out anywhere close. I've just booked a flea pit 15 miles away mega cheap for Friday night and Saturday night which is fully cancellable. I thought that was the thing that needed doing first!

What I'm asking is what is the best day to go? I've guessed at driving down Friday. Going on the Saturday and Sunday then driving back. If one day is enough I can change my hotel booking but which day is best?

Nixy, from personal experince each day is great in its own way. The Sunday is when the hill climb finale happens, so there's a bit of a buzz, however the Sunday is always rammed solid, heaving, but great atmosphere. I would always lean to the Fri + Sat for that reason.

You'll still see loads of action, loads of amazing cars, bikes, racing drivers and grand prix / superbike legends, it will be amazing. A bit sad, but I went there for the weekend for my 'stag do', a bit more civilised, plenty of Pimms and 'Shampoo', it was great :)

Hi Nix,

Our company will be doing the ticketing system for goodwood from early next year onwards. As a result i got free passes for the full weekend this year. I went down Thursday night with my brother with the intention of spending Fri/Sat/Sun there, but by 4pm Saturday we'd seen and done everything so decided to leave early.

It was a fantastic weekend, and if i were to do it again i would make sure i go on the Friday as it's simply too busy after that. Okay the celebs might not be there, but i'd prefer better access to the cars/stands/track than being 15 deep in people trying to see something (which it was by Saturday lunchtime).

Its a amazing weekend. Been a few times. My Sisters Ex was an MP in the Army, they were detailed as bodyguards for the celebs. One year he was looking after a very famous Motor Racing Commentator B) . . got to meet him, access to the drivers tents, etc. Chatted to some of the drivers . . it was ace.

The cars and hill climb are really good, as Marzman said the weekend is proper busy. Friday is a good day to go.

Hit up some of the locals for places to stay, there are some fabulous Country Pubs to stay in :drunk:

Depends on what you want to see/do. The static stuff isn't that interesting tbh, just regular manufacturer gumpf you can see by walking in a showroom, but the cars going up and down the hill and the rally stage is where it's at for me. That's when you're down to the limits of the schedule, as you can guarantee the day you don't go is the day all the interesting cars and drivers are there!

I did Sat/Sun back in 2008, a week after Lewis had won his first British GP and he went up the hill in the McLaren on the Sunday. Later that year he of course won the championship, and that moment now seems even more special. If I'd left on the Saturday, I'd never have seen it. Then again, if I'd just done the Sunday I'd have missed out on other stuff too.

If you just want to soak up the atmosphere and have a relaxing time, I'd say go the Friday only as the Sat & Sun are absolutely heaving now. It's a victim of its own success, and personally speaking I wouldn't want to go somewhere where I'm queuing for an hour for a burger*. But then you miss all the good stuff...

*Friends who went this year.

I went this year on the Friday. Get there early to avoud the queues, oh and book the Super Car carpark. :) Plenty to see, but one day was enough for me. Absolutely knackered walking most of the day.

Edited by Richy

If you have not been before you really need two days to get to see most things.

From my visits I would say as it is your first a Saturday or Sunday is a must. But if you get there on Thursday (its relatively cheap) or the Friday that would give you a chance to see much of the non-action stuff.

Visiting the rally stage (if that interests you) will take out nearly half a day on its own and given your Partner is into his bikes the stunt area is worth a visit, but one to be sure you will be quite knackered at the end of each day, but with so much to talk about. :thumbs:

This event has to be done by every Petrolhead sometime in thier life.

Tried getting a stand here a few years ago but the costs are quite high. Can we do something in connection with Nissan? Worth a letter :thumbs:

Edited by choptop

Been the last 2 years. Not sure I'm going this year as it's getting very busy. But it really is a good day out for a petrol head.

What I would recommend is getting grand stand passes if you can afford it. We tried getting them on the day but it had sold. Especially if your going on Saturday and Sunday. It would be worth having them on the Sunday so you can chill out a bit more.

Revival for me next year I think

I have been loads of times, my favorite show..... although I did the Revival for the first time this year - Wow !!

I like to have 2 days then you don't feel like you are missing loads of it, besides the show is huge now and cannot be done in a day.

I think some of the Static stuff is Interesting - especially if you have never been before.

I would aim for Friday and Saturday but not Sunday.

I then have always stayed locally Thursday night, and aim to be at the Gates for 8am, no queues at this time, but still many people around and a steady flow of traffic.

Annoyingly I only looked for Hotels about a week back and like you have not had to be too choosy, I was after 4 rooms mind and not actually sure if i will be attending, but also can cancel these.

Just incase anyone is looking for Hotels for the Revival in 2015, I could not find multiple rooms in any Hotel within 30 miles of Goodwood.

• Like 1

Is all the camping booked ( for anyone interested)?

Looks like I will have to start renting out the spare beds living within 14 miles........and with secure parking!

And - me thinks you are a brave man announcing that on here - bound to be taken up on this !! :-)

Thanks for all the advice guys. Got two nights booked in a mega cheap and cheerful 14 miles away. Just got to decide whether it's worth the all day drive to get there! Do I need to decide quick? Are tickets likely to sell out fast?