In a Zed

Evening all,

First started wanting a Zed when my old Z3 was giving up the ghost back in Feb. Then an incurable itch developed for something with a V8, and the 350z idea was shelved for a 2006 650i, which frankly was an amazing car.

Things move on an need to pair back a bit on some costs, so scoured options for a sub 6s car, under 10 years old under £8k so I could release some funds from the 650i.

Low and behold, I was looking at Zeds again, and today, just did a deal on one and now have it sat in my drive after a 160 mile round trip to drop off the 650, and drive back in the to me car.

Car is a 2004 UK GT Azure, reverted to stock and with anthracite rays.

Great drive home, obviously a step back (sideways? ;) ) in luxury and outright performance, but I remember why i fell in love with them originally, the feel.

Cars in great condition, with a few little things to sort out, and plenty of tweaks planned. Originally caught the modding bug with my old 200sx 6 years ago, and it has never let up.

Anyway, hello to all, hope to meet some of you at meets etc and be able to share knowledge etc

Paul

welcome along! how did you get on with the 650i? i'm kind of considering going the other way and swapping my 350z in for a 645ci, what was the servicing like?

Hi. The 650i was a lovely car in everyway. Effortless power, luxury and presence. I looked at 645s before the 650, but the 645s have a design fault in the water gallery in the V of the engine, which when it fails is £1000s to repair, the 650i does not have this so I'd advise to go for that if you can. Bear in mind that the gearbox (also shared with jags etc) have a common fault where the mechatonic sleeve and sump pan leak. This hit me c£600 to fix so check its done or brace for it at 50k intervals. Also, if the car had dynamic drive, which mine did and highly recommend it, then ensure the pump has been done, as they go at about £40k, luckily mine was already done.

Servicing wise, due to the car being based on CBS (Conditional Based Servicing) the intervals are decided by the computer, and scaled based on how its driven etc, so it all comes down to that. Oil change etc is around £250 due to the amount of oil, then its just like any other car really, wear and tear, but as it was a £55k car, expect higher costs for parts if they do go.

Will miss that car like mad, served a purpose and frankly even with stock exhaust sounded fantastic... but needs must and had to scale back... give it a few years and will have a v8 again in family friendly fashion ;)