350z engine swap to a 2jz

welshbuddy

ive seen quite alot of these builds going on in the states.

from what i gather, you need a mount kit, so the 2jz will drop straight in.

will the 2jz mate up with the 6 speed box with a adaptor kit also?

much wiring need to be done?

anybody on here done it?

looks alot cheaper then get getting power out of the VQ lol.

Probably only talking £100's of a price difference, unless you have a 2jz laying around like some people :lol:

custom mounts, fueling, new ecu, upgraded parts on the 2jz for big power, adapter plates, custom rad hoses, custom exhaust, gauges,

lot easier to stick some forged rods and a turbo on the vq.

But if its an engine you are more accustom too then you can use your knowledge to save money.

I would be half tempted to stick a vq in something if I had a spare car and engine.

If you already have the engine, then yes will be a similar price to FI route.

If not, then it's big money, from what I've looked into. Bare in mind, a lot of builds you will have seen done, are in the states where everything is essentially half the price!

I don't know if it's similar to the LS engine, but you're looking at say 3-5K for the engine (shipped from states), 3-5K again for the Chip and ECU, then you need looms, mounts etc. Money on the side for any little things that you forget and to cover your self, then you need someone to fit it (Unless you can accommodate) then you will need dyno time.

It's not cheap, as this was an option I was looking at.

I know the 2jz is highly regarded as one of the most bullet proof engines out there but as said above, unless you have one lying around that is already running decent hp (that will cost a pretty packet if it isnt), i would just go down the forged route and fi the V6, unless of course its something you enjoy doing and fancy a project.

I would also feel far more secure building up a V6 from scratch with new parts than buying a 2nd hand 2jz which you have no idea of its history, unless of course its a recent build itself.

• Like 1

How much power are you aiming for?

I know I already have a 2JZ lying around but my forged build for that is coming at less than £4K. Still need the adaptor kit (£2Kish), gearbox adaptor plate & clutch (£2k ish) & my turbo cost me £1700. Thats less than £10K in parts but I'm looking at 7-800HP, you drop £10K into going FI a 350z then you will be lucky to hit 500HP.

Your more than welcome to come along and check out the build once it gets started in a few weeks :)

• 7 months later...

Hi it's Lionel the guys building this car,

Had a nice read of this forum today so i thought i would post some pics up and info on this build.

So fitting a 2JZ into a Z if its LHD would be simple really as there are the bits required out there to do it, But when it is for a RHD car the whole thing is different. We here at 360ms have had to change the 2jz swap kit a fair bit, from making a new subframe to re doing the rubber mounts that come in the kit itself and a whole lot of tweaks along the way.

SO today the engine now fits in the bay and the gear box has had to be moved back in the tunnel. Using the 350Z box has had its problems but is ultimately better due to how strong they are and how weak a normal 5 speed 2jz non turbo gear box would be, basically it will not take 700HP (people think they will but they will not- the forums are not always right)

now that the motor is fitted i can start building the rest of the car. to start with the Exhaust manifold is going to have to be re fabbed due to the way it sits on the head, but none of this is a problem for us as we have a part time in house fabricator who will get the work carried out to a professional standard.

here`s some pics of whats been going on.

D23FF8FF-47B3-4657-BFE3-D69DC9AAAC5A_zps6nqs3lrv.jpg

FB339F8A-1720-4F37-A183-8DF8D21FD5F1_zpsoy0lr4s6.jpg

• Like 3

My FI DE stands me at 5600 quid :)

Well done :)

Not sure what your point is though? Especially considering the number of issues you've had & the relative lack of power compared to this build

Edited by Ian

My FI DE stands me at 5600 quid :)

Well done :)

Not sure what your point is though? Especially considering the number of issues you've had & the relative lack of power compared to this build

I know. It's being a right pain in the bum :(

Temporary lack of power :)

Hi it's Lionel the guys building this car,

Had a nice read of this forum today so i thought i would post some pics up and info on this build.

So fitting a 2JZ into a Z if its LHD would be simple really as there are the bits required out there to do it, But when it is for a RHD car the whole thing is different. We here at 360ms have had to change the 2jz swap kit a fair bit, from making a new subframe to re doing the rubber mounts that come in the kit itself and a whole lot of tweaks along the way.

SO today the engine now fits in the bay and the gear box has had to be moved back in the tunnel. Using the 350Z box has had its problems but is ultimately better due to how strong they are and how weak a normal 5 speed 2jz non turbo gear box would be, basically it will not take 700HP (people think they will but they will not- the forums are not always right)

now that the motor is fitted i can start building the rest of the car. to start with the Exhaust manifold is going to have to be re fabbed due to the way it sits on the head, but none of this is a problem for us as we have a part time in house fabricator who will get the work carried out to a professional standard.

here`s some pics of whats been going on.

FB339F8A-1720-4F37-A183-8DF8D21FD5F1_zpsoy0lr4s6.jpg

Great stuff Lionel. :clap:

Honestly I think it's impressive stuff fabricating the parts to make something like this work properly and I can't wait for it to be completed so that Ian can fully enjoy his motor. :thumbs:

Why not just buy a Supra 2JZ rather than spend a fortune on an engine swap, but keep the Zed for rainy days?? :shrug:

I did hence the spare 2jz ;) supras are @*!# anyway :) I hated mine.

Same could be said about any car though - why modify them? Just buy something better

• Like 1

Why not just buy a Supra 2JZ rather than spend a fortune on an engine swap, but keep the Zed for rainy days?? :shrug:

Same could be said about any car though - why modify them? Just buy something better

And where is the fun in that!!? ;)
  • Like 2

Fair point... ;)

Edited by MrChow

All depends what you want out of the car too imho. A build is often a labour of love rather than necessity, some are functional, I.e more power for the track or drag strip and to be honest as was the case with me with rx7s (although not an engine swap), you just get caught up in chasing big hp numbers. I had 501hp in a car that weighed 1250 ish kgs, it was utterly rediculous, way too much power for the road and on track you needed 100% concentration or it would bite you in the ass, in essence I ruined the car on my quest for bragging rights.

I am subscribed to Ians build thread and love the dedication and fully get it because of his situation, but 400-500hp in a zed is more than enough for road or track imho.