Audi A5 3.0 tdi quattro

hensh65

Did you not fancy a C350 cdi remap to 300 plus :D

Thought if i was going to have the pain in the ass thats rwd in the winter i would keep the zed. Briefly looked at them though :)

Guess your right seen as you scots live up in the hills ;)

Yeh those hairy coos are 4wd, absolute rapid :lol: need 4wd to get away from them at the lights.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just about to clock up 1 month with the Audi so I thought I am now in a good position to give a fair review in comparison to the Zed.

First thing to note is these cars couldn't be any different, they don't have anything in common other than 4 wheels! I will start with the Pros of the Audi and then the bad points.

The cabin is a really nice place to be, everything you touch feels well made and chunky. when you're driving there is almost zero road noise and not squeaks or creaks. the suspension is a bit better on the bones although I have 19" wheels and s line suspension so it isn't much more comfortable.

Everything is automatic, the handbrake is automatic, the lights are auto, window wipers are auto, boot opens auto. The clutch is light but still has a nice feel and the gearbox is really smooth and feels good to fly through the gears which is a good job with a 5K redline! the boot is massive and there is good space in the back and could seat 2 normal sized adults easily.

Driving the a5 is nice on the motorway, if you drop to 5th gear rather than 6th the revs sit just aroudn 2K when the turbo is ready to kick in, so you can make good progress like you can in the zed when you're in 6th. if you move into 6 and cruise I have seen over 50mpg on a journey over 1 hour which is half decent.

The quattro system is really good in some respects, I have found myself planting my foot with the wheel fully turned just because I can :lol: slight lock and foot to the floor and you get to see how clean your exhausts are! :lol:

Even planting the foot in 1st when its pouring down and there is zero wheel spin and thats with ditch finders all round ( sorry dan ).

However being a diesel, its like a surgical operation trying to extract all that torque out of the engine. Off the line I have no doubt to about 60/70mph the audi would take it, but thats when I feel the car becomes breathless. 4th gear just doesn't feel as nice as my zed did, still pulling fairly hard. Then there is the slight problem that is corners, the zed felt planted going through a round about faster than you should have or on a back round going round a bend faster than you should have. As long as you weren't silly with the right foot the car was safe car to push without getting out of control. The audi too me feels a little top heavy compared to the Zed, it just seems to become unsettled mid bends and I wouldn't even think about pushing as I don't have a clue what it will do or what it actually wants to do :lol: My mate has the 3.2v6 audi TT 57plate, he is a big quattro fan boy but has no clue about anything car related. We were in my car so I had to point out that its actually not that great and Audi have dialed in an alarming amount of understeer. It was raining so I was going into roudn about slowish and then trying to turn in with a bit of power coming out and the car would just nose dive wide every single time. At least when the zeds snaps on you, you look the business spinning around while screaming :lol:

1 month on after selling my Zed, do I regret it? no. Do I wish I still had my zed, Yes! going from an orange modified zed to a grey audi is pretty rubbish in a lot of respects, everytime some sees my new car they say:

"thats nice, why the hell did you get rid of the 350!"

Its still my phone screensaver, background and still have the keyring :lol:

The miles I am covering now though it would have been stupid to have kept it which is annoying as I am going to have to spend a fortune on this thing to get it to handle close to as good as the 350 does!!

If you managed to read all that, well done :thumbs: I haven't re read it so apologies if I didn't make sense :)

• Like 2

I really like the A5 if I didn't need re storage apace of an RAF C130 transporter I'd love something German.

But like you I have found the benefits in the new car

For me with my jumbo tank 4x4 I had great fun when it heaved it down ploughing through the big puddles where others had to creep through. I'm looking forward to cold weather and snow. Now I'm in the xc90 I'm hoping for the next ice age.

Enjoy the positives and like me, just remember its only a phase and when you don't need it You can go back to the sports cars

• Like 1

I really like the A5 if I didn't need re storage apace of an RAF C130 transporter I'd love something German.

But like you I have found the benefits in the new car

For me with my jumbo tank 4x4 I had great fun when it heaved it down ploughing through the big puddles where others had to creep through. I'm looking forward to cold weather and snow. Now I'm in the xc90 I'm hoping for the next ice age.

Enjoy the positives and like me, just remember its only a phase and when you don't need it You can go back to the sports cars

You're right mate, although not sure the misses will be happy when i get another sports car :lol:

My dad just picked the car up from getting its remap as I am working to 6 !! then need to get the train home :yuck:

He said the power would blow the 350z out the water,,, hes used to NA engines so he is maybe being confused from turbo kicking in to actual ground covered. Either way I am very, very excited. Pouring with rain tonight but I can imagine I will be checking the rear view a lot tonight :)

Here's some pictures of the car in getting mapped. Got 290 bhp and 450ft/lb, took it out a spin and wow. 1st, 2nd and 3rd are much stronger and smoother. The car tended to fall away around 4th, but now it pulls like its in second gear. Pretty chuffed :)

IMG_42835842867078_zpsa7c5a0c9.jpeg

IMG_42838355873796_zps3281eed4.jpeg

IMG_42845610970356_zpsc8b0ffa6.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nice updates, shame that it's still missing 2 cylinders ;)

Its actually a v6 lexx :lol:

I know. Which is why in my opinion it's missing two cylinders.....

Ahhh forgot about your love for the v8. Its also missing another turbo for that matter!!

• Like 1