Newbie saying hello

JCR44

Its a little late but wanted to loge on and say hi,

I have just started looking at the 370z i currently own a BMW 1M i can not fault it at all its great looking hugely fast handles superbly etc and rare not seen more than 1 other on the road in 6 months! but i want a change and always fancied trying a 70z

I will take the time to search the forum for tips and anything else i may need to know while I'm looking, the 1M is currently up for sale so that needs to be sold first or of course P/X'd for one?

I will be test driving Auto and Manual although not many 370z in south east Kent it seems!

Look forward to using the forum and chat to some of you.

J

There is at least one thread with a list of issues to watch out for but I couldn't find it, so here goes as a starter for ten (the good news is there aren't that many common issues at all. I've also included some general info to be aware of).

1) If a 370 was built before a certain point in 2010 it will have been subject to a recall for a major issue related to the steering lock, which can prevent the car from starting. You would need to make sure the work had been done.

2) Quite seriously, nobody (or at least nobody on this forum that I'm aware of) likes the 370's stock exhaust note. It sounds pathetic. You will want to budget for a replacement system so that your sports car sounds like a sports car (£800 upwards for a decent system)

3) Check for wear on the alcantara parts of the interior and scratches on the interior plastics

4) Weak boot springs - check that the boot opens fully when the button is pressed. Not a big deal but it does affect a lot of cars (it's happened with all three of mine). It shouldn't be a deal breaker - it just means you need two hands to open the boot or you can get the springs replaced (there is also supposedly a fix involving inserting coins under the spings but I've never bothered trying it)

5) Check the side skirts and bumper for stone chips and the wheels for scratches and poor refurbishment work. The 370's wheels - silver and dark colours - are a two stage finish meaning that some refurb' outfits struggle to get a proper colour match. Some stone chips are obviously inevitable, but the bumper and side skirts can get quite a lot of them - worth checking those areas carefully and the brake callipers. The wheels are a big part of the car's look and they don't look good if they're scratched up.

6) Not sure about your BMW, but be aware that you need to use 97RON petrol or above (the filler cap says 98 but 97 is fine)

7) You're unlikely to get more than 15,000 miles out of a set of tyres. Budget in the region of £800 for a decent set of replacements (Michelin Pilot Super Sports are very well regarded on here)

8) Pre 2010 cars have an older version of the sat nav (lower resolution and non-touch screen - perfectly fine though) and no USB for Ipod (etc) connection (there is an analogue connector but it means you have change tracks on the Ipod/MP3 player rather than on the Nav unit itself)

9) Rear visibility is pretty much non-existent. Later models - GT Edition and Nismo (and possibly now the standard GT pack) have a reversing camera. For older cars you can get a very good kit to fit an integrated reversing camera to any 370 that has the post 2009 sat nav referred to above. I don't think it can be done easily on pre-2010 cars though. I had the kit with my previous 370 and it was as good as the one that came with my Nismo. Another option is parking sensors (or just parking/reversing very very carefully)!

I'll leave others to add to the list.....

Edited by sipar69
  • Like 1

Thank you for the warm welcome guys :)

Sipar69 il have a good read of the above many thanks!

How are you finding the Nismo over the GT version you owned before? questions goes to anyone that can advise me if the Nismo is worth 7-10k over the GT?

I'm a complete Nissan novice if I'm honest, I have made an enquiry on a Nismo spec 70z today but i really don't know if its a good move over a GT in terms of bang for buck? also not to get to the boring stuff but how do you think residuals will last on the Nismo?

Thanks

J

Thanks,

Yes i would agree its always going to be an argument as to what's best or if the Nismo is worth it! its going to be a mission for me to try them both, nearest is 200 miles away! even a GT is 40miles from home suppose its all good fun! :)

Thank you for the warm welcome guys :)

Sipar69 il have a good read of the above many thanks!

How are you finding the Nismo over the GT version you owned before? questions goes to anyone that can advise me if the Nismo is worth 7-10k over the GT?

I'm a complete Nissan novice if I'm honest, I have made an enquiry on a Nismo spec 70z today but i really don't know if its a good move over a GT in terms of bang for buck? also not to get to the boring stuff but how do you think residuals will last on the Nismo?

Thanks

J

Definitely worth it for me. The fact that I've gone from 370Z to 370Z to 370Z Nismo will give you some idea of how much I like these cars. The Nismo has been by far my favourite. Whether it's worth the additional money is entirely subjective. It's been worth it for me in many ways (especially the handling, the looks and the positive attention it gets) and only disappointed me in two - I don't like cloth seats as much as the leather ones in the standard car and I wasn't happy with the exhaust note (the latter has now been fixed).

Worth being aware that there is a newer variant of the Nismo due out here shortly. I won't be getting one though - I hate what they've done to the look of the car and it's exactly the same engine, so no power increase. It does have much nicer seats though and some people prefer the new look.

If both the standard car and the Nismo are within your budget I'd follow the suggestions above - see and drive both cars, then decide. You may get a good deal on the current Nismo when the new one comes out but I don't personally see the prices dropping much; the last time somebody checked, there were only 65 Nismos registered in the UK.

Good luck with finding the one for you. Here's a couple of Nismo shots to mull over and one of my first 370 to compare against.........

imagejpg2_zpsffe898b9.jpg

imagejpg1_zps94f8f481.jpg

imagejpg1_zps56eeb30c.jpg

Edited by sipar69

Thanks again for the information and your 2pc worth you clearly have a good idea having had 3x 370z's the pictures are very nice the N has got the edge the body styling and touches really bring the best out in the car funny enough I did see one in the flesh at Thorpe Park, Nissan had a promotion day looks fantastic in the flesh.

I have looked into the new shape i do like it its very different but look great and having the option of paddle shift is nice as I was hoping my next purchase would be semi auto again as I have had the Manual in the 1M. I want to get a good deal on whatever I decide on, I made the mistake last year when purchasing a C63 AMG new on a pcp deal although the deal was good it was purchased at the wrong time and i opted out early losing a packed! cars are a losing game unless in the trade so I don't want to worry too much about that, I like a change! The 1M I have has been amazing fun but I want to shave a little from my monthly’s but still have a toy.

When did you say the new shape will arrive UK? nothing on Nissan website only reviews online and some mention US only even talks from a local sales man that the 370z will be discontinued

Thanks

J