Full car wrap help!

JoKeR

One word of caution regarding wraps ~ me & my mate who used to run a catering business together had our large Iveco van wrapped to help with advertising. The wrap looked great but unfortunately the company that did it made a few mistakes when doing it.

When cutting the wrap to fit around edges/doors etc they cut too deep with their scalpels and even went through the paint down to primer & even bear metal in a few places. Obviously we complained once we noticed this and some of this had to be rectified at their cost using a "chips away" type person who they sourced to spray paint areas of the van where they had gone through the paint.

Unfortunately we found more areas they had cut into years later when the business was closed for business & the wrap removed completely. Some areas had even started to rust slightly so it did effect the re-sale value of our van.

Just fyi. ;)

One word of caution regarding wraps ~ me & my mate who used to run a catering business together had our large Iveco van wrapped to help with advertising. The wrap looked great but unfortunately the company that did it made a few mistakes when doing it.

When cutting the wrap to fit around edges/doors etc they cut too deep with their scalpels and even went through the paint down to primer & even bear metal in a few places. Obviously we complained once we noticed this and some of this had to be rectified at their cost using a "chips away" type person who they sourced to spray paint areas of the van where they had gone through the paint.

Unfortunately we found more areas they had cut into years later when the business was closed for business & the wrap removed completely. Some areas had even started to rust slightly so it did effect the re-sale value of our van.

Just fyi. ;)

This is what worries me the most. It's very very simple to cut vinyl, no more than the weight of the craft knife itself is needed, however you hear many stories about people damaging the vehicle because of cutting too hard.

About the £950 wrap, surely that doesn't include materials and/or VAT?

Make sure they use cast wrap not just signwriting vinyl like a lot of companies do, that's what causes a wrap to bubble and lift a couple of months down the line as it tries to flatten itself out again instead of staying with the shapes of the car. There's a reason a wrap isn't cheap

I've been to him for previous work so I think that's why it's a good price like I said I have seen a wrap his blokes done and I genuinely thought it was paint! Thanks for all ur advice people. I've got a few areas to prep before hand so in a few months I'll be getting this done as I'm not made of money lol but back to colour choice; matte orange??

That's what she 'Zed' :-/

Just thought id butt in!!

Firstly i wouldnt let ANYONE wrap my Zed for 950.00, a good wrap, no cutting on the car, decent vinyls (i recommend Avery, better than 3m and Hexis) and 3 days work will cost you between 1700-2000. No less. As for prepping the car, bodywork should be in tip top condition, no cheap spray jobs or youre gonna lose your paint and usually it will take around 4/5 hours to get clean and degreased. As AliveBoy rightly says, only use bubblefree wrapping vinyls, not standard, although even bubblefree will fail just as quick as a normal vinyl if it isnt post heated. It has 2 memories, 1 as it comes and 2 after you have applied it to your car. Once you heat it to the correct temperature it forgets the first memory and conforms to its latter shape. Lights, door handles etc etc should all come out too...if not, then theyre cutting on the car.

Obviously its up to you what you do, but i do it for a living, i get fed up with hearing all the negative stories about car wrapping...its a great way to mod your car if you want it...its just a shame there are people out there that think its easy and anyone can do it, when really they have no clue as to its strengths and weaknesses, its application and its limitations.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

• Like 1

Firstly i wouldnt let ANYONE wrap my Zed for 950.00, a good wrap, no cutting on the car, decent vinyls (i recommend Avery, better than 3m and Hexis) and 3 days work will cost you between 1700-2000. No less. As for prepping the car, bodywork should be in tip top condition, no cheap spray jobs or youre gonna lose your paint and usually it will take around 4/5 hours to get clean and degreased. As AliveBoy rightly says, only use bubblefree wrapping vinyls, not standard, although even bubblefree will fail just as quick as a normal vinyl if it isnt post heated. It has 2 memories, 1 as it comes and 2 after you have applied it to your car. Once you heat it to the correct temperature it forgets the first memory and conforms to its latter shape. Lights, door handles etc etc should all come out too...if not, then theyre cutting on the car.

Obviously its up to you what you do, but i do it for a living, i get fed up with hearing all the negative stories about car wrapping...its a great way to mod your car if you want it...its just a shame there are people out there that think its easy and anyone can do it, when really they have no clue as to its strengths and weaknesses, its application and its limitations.

Like anything, worth doing properly or not at all, just out of interest how much would you say a decent vinyl wrap material would cost for a Zed?

Maybe the £950 was just to spray, prep,& wrap the bonnet & roof ;)

• Like 1

Like anything, worth doing properly or not at all, just out of interest how much would you say a decent vinyl wrap material would cost for a Zed?

Wrapping material can cost around 20 to 35 quid a metre, id only use Avery Supreme these days, 3m and Hexis are reasonably good but nowhere near Avery. Bulletmagnets roof was done in Avery. :D Edited by zippypooz

Wrapping material can cost around 20 to 35 quid a metre, id only use Avery Supreme these days, 3m and Hexis are reasonably good but nowhere near Avery. Bulletmagnets roof was done in Avery. :D

I've only used 3M and Hexis and done small items, but if you say Avery and BM likes it too then that is good enough for me :)

• Like 1

Thanks for all your help I'll look into it a lot more and I've taken all your advice into consideration! But when I do I imagine Matte orange will be the one lol that pic made my mind up!!!

That's what she 'Zed' :-/

I serious doubt you could get a bubble wrap for £950 even at mates rates :surrender:

You'd have fun popping it everytime you went out to your car though :lol:

But think of all the car park dings you woukd avoid :)

Oh I think we should take this to market asap!!

I serious doubt you could get a bubble wrap for £950 even at mates rates :surrender:

You'd have fun popping it everytime you went out to your car though :lol:

But think of all the car park dings you woukd avoid :)

Oh I think we should take this to market asap!!

Bugger off I'm going on Dragon's Den with it :boxing:

£250k for 2.5% of my business.....

No I don't have a business plan or projection Peter, just 'show me the money!'

• Like 1