Look out Japan, here we come!

Bockaaarck

After a couple of years of 'umm-ing' and err-ing' we are finally heading out to Japan next year.Not to move there, as much as that would be cool, just for a first 'taster visit'.

We've always wanted to get to Japan, but ideally we've been looking for 3 - 4 week trips out there to really soak in the culture and absord the country. That's always come back as being 'quite' expensive so we've just kept putting the trip off until a good opportunity arises. Forunately BA have a few cheeky offer on at the moment, so we've jumped at the chance and are heading out for 9 / 10 days.

We're going to be out there in April next year, so we have a good few months to read up and make us much progress learning 'basic' Japanese as we can. Really keen to make as much effort as possble with the language. We may not be able to have a chat with some guy in a Ueno bar over a beiru about how fantastic the Uwara Reds have been playing. We do want to be able to show that we have made an effort and it'll help us enjoy the trip more.

I get the feeling that Japanese people will probably understand if we don't quite get things right culturally. I know that they won't make us feel bad if we make a 'boo-boo' as their culture is too polite. However, I would really rather we avoid that kind of thing happening at all, so lots of study, reading, language practice and all sorts over the next few months!

We'll be in Tokyo for a few days before heading to Kyoto for 3 days, then back to Tokyo for a few more days before heading home. It won't be enough time to really take things in, but as I said, this is a taster trip, really can't wait. Any hints and tips about things to see / do or any do's and don'ts very much appreciated.

• Like 2

Thanks Will, realy cannot wait, I don't think I've been this excited since the Play Doh Mop Shop came out! Really, really looking forward to it. I've had a nose at local language courses where we are to see if we can get some lessons. Its a long old way to go and we may only ever get to go once, so we are going to put the effort in to make the most out it.

I think like most trips away, there will always be too much to see and do, unless you rush things, but I think that spoils it. Going somewhere for me is not about ticking lists its about other stuff, taking things in, absorbing stuff and creating memories. Hopefully this will be another trip full of them.

I know choptop has been out to Japan lots of times so I'll be picking his brains. I believe, from recollection, that WhackyWill's partner is Japanese, so hopefully there's some good advice / suggestions to be heeded / taken on board.

I realised some time ago that if we didn't do these things when we had the chance, we might not ever get the chance again, so off we go on another adventure :)

No worries mate. :lol:

April is a good time to go, not to humid and you will be there

for the start of The Cherry Blossom Season. Lots of Festivals

A must is a PASMO travel card. Bit like our Oyster Card for the tube.

We may be there in April next year as well. :thumbs:

Edited by WhackyWill
  • Like 2

aha! the missus' and I are currently planning the same trip, but later in the year (October) for 3 weeks. I just can't believe how much stuff there seems to be to visit!

I will be going with Virgin though so I can use my points! and +1 on the language lessons, we start a 5 week course the beginning of next year. can't wait

• Like 1

we need to talk mr will the wacky!! your intel may provide invaluable!

• Like 2

aha! the missus' and I are currently planning the same trip, but later in the year (October) for 3 weeks. I just can't believe how much stuff there seems to be to visit!

I will be going with Virgin though so I can use my points! and +1 on the language lessons, we start a 5 week course the beginning of next year. can't wait

I'm OK I just take my "translator" with me..The missus..!! :thumbs:

I do know a little Japanese, wont be much of a problem in Tokyo as a lot

of people speak a little "American" English,

An Eng to Jap translator app is useful.

Also download the app Tokyo Metro and MetroNav TK and you wont get lost. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Just remember this:

ã©ã“ã§ä½¿ç”¨ã•ã‚ŒãŸå¥³å­é«˜ç”Ÿã®ä¸‹ç€ã‚’販売ã™ã‚‹è‡ªå‹•è²©å£²æ©Ÿã‚’見ã¤ã‘ã‚‹ã“ã¨ãŒã§ãã¾ã™ã‹ï¼Ÿ

:lol:

ãƒãƒ§ãƒƒãƒ—ã§ç§ã®å¦»ã¯ãã£ã¨ç§ã«ãƒ’ットã—ã¾ã™ :dry:

• Like 1

Thanks Will, we will look the PASMO card up. I know we are there in Golden Week, or part of it, so I'm sure there will be lots of atmosphere and loads going on :)

• Like 1

Thanks Will, we will look the PASMO card up. I know we are there in Golden Week, or part of it, so I'm sure there will be lots of atmosphere and loads going on :)

Where are you staying. ?

We always get an apartment in Tokyo far better than hotels.

We could stay with the in-laws lovely people but prefer to be on our own.

You can get a 2 or 3 day tour around Kyoto, Nara, and surrounding areas including

the Bullet Train, Hotel and all Coach tours for not a lot, well worth doing as you get English speaking

guide's :thumbs:

• Like 1

Fantastic, I know what you mean about stuff to visit, there's so much to do. Using your points on Virgin must be a real bonus, we have some Avios points from the BA thing, but I think we'll save those for when we head out to Japan next time (I'm pretty sure there will be a next time!), unless we go somewhere else.

3 weeks out there will be fantastic, I think you've got that length of time about right. There are a lot of places we won't have time to really visit on this trip (Himeji Castle, Yokohma, Nagoya etc, etc). Hopefully we use the experience we get this time to plan the next trip and do those things.

I think you guys will have an amazing time, a proper adventure! :)

Edited by Bockaaarck
  • Like 1

Yeah, I went to The States (Los Angeles) in 1981 for a taster visit. A long way to fly for a week, an 11 hour direct flight, but having got a taste for it I've been back 14 times since :) . Good luck and I'm not envious at all :lol: .

Pete

• Like 1

We're staying in Shinjuki Will, mainly because it's just easy for us as first time visitors to Japan. It probably wouldn't be our first choice next time round, but for the first time visit, why not dive straight in to the deep end! :lol:

We saw a couple of really good things on japanican.com. There seem to be great combined tickets for the bullet train plus accommodation for Tokyo to Kyoto. So we're having a bit of a dig in to those at the moment

I used to live in Tokyo - when I am home tonight will compile my dossier for you :teeth:

"Sumi-masan" is the first word to learn, it effectively means 'excuse me' in any context and you will use it a lot staying in Shinjuku!

Accommodation is expensive but food is relatively cheap - I remember using the Tokyustay hotel chain I think its called for fairly cheap, reasonable quality western style stays around Japan.

• Like 2

I used to live in Tokyo - when I am home tonight will compile my dossier for you :teeth:

"Sumi-masan" is the first word to learn, it effectively means 'excuse me' in any context and you will use it a lot staying in Shinjuku!

Accommodation is expensive but food is relatively cheap - I remember using the Tokyustay hotel chain I think its called for fairly cheap, reasonable quality western style stays around Japan.

Nice one Col, thanks :thumbs:

Sounds like a great trip. I am lucky to have visited many timess and loved it. If you fancy a look around the Nissan factory drop me a pm. :)

I'm guessing that's Tochigi Martin. I remember Choptop saying that the Nissan guys always wanted a Japanese / English translator to accompany when he went there.