Troublesome tenants

Flex

So my tenants are coming to the end of their stay and are moving out, they owe me 2 months rent and I've started CCJ proceedings.

Pretty sure they're going to try and get away with not providing their new address, I know the CCJ will still be lodged against them if they dont pay it off but any suggestions on how I locate them if they don't leave me with an address.

Bugger.

We have a property we rent out but haven't a clue how to chase costs if they did a runner - mind you the tenants have been in there for 7 years now!

Could you not literally rock up with some mates on their moving out day and if necessary call the police?

Unfortunately a risk of having tenants, I don't have any property now it all went in my divorce years back but I used to calculate in a certain amount to put the places back to a decent standard when tenants moved out :shrug:

Not sure on finding their new address but surely there must be ways of finding them?

Shame crappy tenants give the rest of us a bad name. My other half has a flat she rents out and has had a lot of problems. We've rented the same house for about 8 years now and it's substantially better condition when we moved in, mostly due to our own efforts on improving the garden, redecorating etc. We only ever bother the landlord's agents when a job is too complicated or expensive to do ourselves.

• Like 1

Unfortunately a risk of having tenants, I don't have any property now it all went in my divorce years back but I used to calculate in a certain amount to put the places back to a decent standard when tenants moved out :shrug:

Not sure on finding their new address but surely there must be ways of finding them?

Deposit will cover this but won't cove the loss in rent. I'm gutted.

Hopefully the new ones will be better!

A good tenant is worth their weight in gold aren't they :surrender:

• Like 2

Some tenants care and have pride in where they live. :) This is what our back garden looks like now - all due to our own work and expense. I wish I'd taken a photo when we moved in - it was full of weeds and junk, the fences were knackered and there were no borders etc. Everything you see in the picture has been put in by us even though we know we might have to leave it behind one day - I think it's worth it though to live in a nice environment. The same applies to the house - I've kept all the decoration in good condition out of my own pocket. We will leave it a much nicer place than when we moved in.

NiceGarden_zps79d95d59.jpg

Edited by sipar69
  • Like 8

God yeah. We had a Polish couple move in, the guy was a builder and said if we paid for the insulation materials at cost price he would insulate the place. Also our old neighbour reported him sat out on the upstairs window ledge polishing the outside of the windows the other day!

• Like 3

My missus has a flat she rents out and you do get good/bad tennants. Her current ones have been lovely, and have been in there for a good few years. They have redecorated and stuff and looked after the place. In turn we have kept the rent low and done stuff like buy them a new cooker & fridge etc to keep them happy. Unfortunately we have heard on the grapevine that they are looking to buy a house now so we arnt looking forward to finding new tennants.

The previous tennents we had were a nightmare, always late on rent and when they moved out we had to spend a week redecorating and cleaning. Funnyist thing was when we moved a bedroom wardrobe to paint behind it and found a couple of ann summers vibrators they had left behind. :scare:

• Like 3

I think there are basically two types of tenant.

1) It's not my house so I won't lift a finger or spend a penny to make it nice.

2) It's not my house but it is my home and since I spend a lot of my time in it I will make the effort and even spend some money.

I've learnt from renting for a number of years that if you have the - I'm not bothering attitude - you lose out because you can't expect the landlord to do everything and you certainly won't get things done as quickly as you might want. If our boiler is on the blink I'm straight on the phone because it's not a job I can do myself but if the garden needs doing or one of the rooms could do with a coat of paint I'm happy to do it myself. That way it gets done when I want and to a standard I'm happy with.

Edited by sipar69
  • Like 1

Flex, that sounds like a bit of a nightmare :( Hope you get some better tenants next time round.

sipar, your garden is beautiful :)

I think Mr Two Bears and I are pretty good tenants, even though this is our first attempt at renting. The landlord had turned down a couple of people before we moved in according to the neighbour who likes to involve himself in everything. Apparently one had children and one was pregnant and landlord didn't want children in the flat. Not sure if that is legal or not but from a selfish point of view I'm glad because it's a lovely flat. I keep everything very clean and have ordered new curtains and furniture etc. Nothing wrong with the existing ones but not my colour/taste and I've stored landlord's things away safely. Not allowed to decorate, unfortunately or I would.

• Like 1

Some tenants care and have pride in where they live. :) This is what our back garden looks like now - all due to our own work and expense. I wish I'd taken a photo when we moved in - it was full of weeds and junk, the fences were knackered and there were no borders etc. Everything you see in the picture has been put in by us even though we know we might have to leave it behind one day - I think it's worth it though to live in a nice environment. The same applies to the house - I've kept all the decoration in good condition out of my own pocket. We will leave it a much nicer place than when we moved in.

Hats off to you there for the great effort you've put in, to transform that garden into something of beauty. Very immpressive!

Great philosophy too in leaving something behind which will benefit others.

I know how much hard work has gone into that as I've had to start from scratch myself.

Had a WWoofer living here for the last 10 weeks who is supposed to work in exchange for board & lodging

Done as little as possible, so gonna have to get stuck in myself again after he leaves tomorrow.

• Like 1

Hats off to you there for the great effort you've put in, to transform that garden into something of beauty. Very immpressive!

Great philosophy too in leaving something behind which will benefit others.

I know how much hard work has gone into that as I've had to start from scratch myself.

Had a WWoofer living here for the last 10 weeks who is supposed to work in exchange for board & lodging

Done as little as possible, so gonna have to get stuck in myself again after he leaves tomorrow.

Thanks for that :). The way I see it, it's our home and we can be proud of it and look after it even if we dont own it.

• Like 1

Follow the flitting van. :thumbs:

Or what coldel has said but don't call the police.

Could you not literally rock up with some mates on their moving out day and if necessary call the police? :boxing:

Yeah following them had crossed my mind, might have to.

I think there are basically two types of tenant.

1) It's not my house so I won't lift a finger or spend a penny to make it nice.

2) It's not my house but it is my home and since I spend a lot of my time in it I will make the effort and even spend some money.

3) I'm paying you rent so you will be at my beck and call whenever I want you. The type that phones you up at 11pm because a lightbulb has blown!!!

• Like 1

The situation that your in sucks.... But in truth if they can't afford your rent then there's no chance of getting your money back. Just don't get worked up about it and try not to take it personally. My father was in your situation 18 months ago and he got so worked up about it I'm pretty the stress contributed to his death.... All over a poxy £1500...... These days I help my mother run her 10 houses. Most of the tennents are good but theres always a problem lol

• Like 1

You can always pursue them through a small claims court. Follow them as they leave, and make sure there's a full tank of fuel in your car.

I've rented many a time and been the landlord for over 10 years and so far never an issue. One tenant wanted to re-decorate the entire property at their cost. Can't moan at that.

God yeah. We had a Polish couple move in, the guy was a builder and said if we paid for the insulation materials at cost price he would insulate the place. Also our old neighbour reported him sat out on the upstairs window ledge polishing the outside of the windows the other day!

I specifically asked my agent to try and get a Polish couple or family in.......far more pride in themselves than the majority of the native scrotter classes.

• Like 4