Anyone driven a Formula Renault car?

14N

I've booked myself into one of those driving experience days driving a Formula Renault race car.

We get 4 sighting laps as a passenger in a pace car, then we climb into the Formula Renault car for 4 laps following the pace car and then it's 6 laps on your own :scare: No ABS, no PAS, no traction control and no instructor! :surrender:

I'm going with a few friends from work. I don't imagine they'll allow us onto the track at the same time, so figure it will be down to lap times.

Either way, I'd like to be the fastest! :drive1: :#1:

Anyone got any hints, tips or words of advice when driving a single seater? (Apart from "Don't crash").

• Like 1

well if its running on slicks, they'll need temperature to work properly, so get those tyres warm! few burnouts should get the rears warm, hard braking and cornering needed to get the fronts warm.

other than tyres i'd imagine general track driving rules of being smooooooth with inputs... want to be braking nice and hard, then peel off the brakes as you turn in, balance the car on the throttle through the bend, then squeeeeze on the power as the corner opens up. try not to overdrive the car in the first lap, when you're on your own do two laps at 70%, then the next at 80%, then 90%, then you've got two all out balls to the wall screamers to set a time. the worst thing you could do is spin on your first lap which then knocks your confidence for the remainder.

Have fun out there - much jealous, would love to try driving a single seater.

• Like 2

I drove the formula silverstone car (basically the same). They are rev limited so its pretty hard to spin them out unless you stamp on the throttle on full lock. You can really feel what the cars doing so you shouldnt have any trouble mate, just go and have fun.

• Like 1

If you don't lock the brakes, you're not braking hard enough. Make sure you lock them on the first lap, at least that way you'll have a measure of them.

Not sure how much experience you have with MR cars, but it's a hell of a lot different than FR so plenty of judgement on balance is needed.

• Like 4

I've driven a small number of single seaters including a Formula Palmer Audi car - not sure how similar that would be but, as stated above. there is a high dependancy on aerodynamics, tyre and brake temperature and smoothness of line and input to get the car to work properly. The difficulty is building up the degree of confidence you would require in the number of laps available (once you have exited the pits without stalling :lol:).

The more you can acquaint yourself with track layout, braking points etc before you do it the better.

The best thing is just to enjoy it and hope it's dry.

• Like 2

Thanks guys, you've given me some really useful information, very much appreciated.

It's booked for 18th October, so I don't think a high track temp will be too much of an issue :cold:

Thanks guys, you've given me some really useful information, very much appreciated.

It's booked for 18th October, so I don't think a high track temp will be too much of an issue :cold:

I think my advice was the most helpful....:lol:
  • Like 1

Many moons ago I did some Formula Ford with a view to getting a scholarship for a season, not sure I could even get in to one now :lol: Anyway Ian, you are going to absolutely love this, you will have a fantastic time my friend.

Firstly, and this is going to sound really odd, but its important, make sure you are as comfortable in the seat as possible. They aren't going to mould you a seat for sure, but getting as comfortable as you can is crucial. Why you may ask, well if you don't feel comfortable that will impact your driving.

You will be concentrating on slipping in the seat as you go through corners or nudging your elbows when you're trying to shift (if its manual) or you'll feel that your feet will slip or slide if you can't comfortably reach the pedals. All of that will take your attention away from being able to place the car where you want it to be and balance it through corners and changes in direction. It'll make it hard work, so get comfy is my first advice, as that will mean you can really get on with driving the car as smoothly and as quickly as possible.

This is going to sound boring and blindingly obvious but smooth, smooth, smooth is the key. Smooth inputs in gear changes and especially steering input. The less aggresively you use the throttle, brakes and shift the less likely you are to make mistakes. Yes, you'll want to try and get some heat in the brakes and tyres on the first lap. Drive that at 70% and get used to the balance of the brakes, throttle and steering. Then you need to try and 'keep on it' and maintain consistent pace, as this will keep the brakes and tyres nicely warm, that'll help keep the car stable and allow you to enjoy the drive.

The less input you make the smoother you will be, the faster you will go. Ease on the brakes once you get a bit of heat, ease on the throttle again once you get used to the balance. Try not to take chunks out of a corner, select your entry point and then turn and ease the steering through the corner. Thinking ahead will make a massive difference in terms of balancing the car and positioning it correctly.

It will probably feel a bit alient, even though its effectively driving a car, and you do that all the time. Don't worry too much about trying to set a lap record or beating anybody elses time just enjoy it Ian, it will be a terrific day out. :):thumbs:

Edited by Bockaaarck
  • Like 2

I've also done the Formula Silverstone thingy, but mine was unfortunately in damp conditions! I am by no means a great driver and my track experience is limited, but for what it's worth here's my 2p:

I totally agree that the biggest issue is having the confidence to push the car to get the most out of it. That obviously depends on the person, but for me I was a bit worried by the wet, worried that everyone would be far better than me, and worried how I would end up if I ploughed a tin can into a barrier at 50mph. Fortunately the cost didn't worry me as I paid the extra insurance that covered me binning the car.

Sitting all strapped in in a single seater with helmet on obviously doesn't calm nerves. Nor does the huge amount of noise they make or the massively heavy clutch.

I was also worried about how I would adapt to having the gearstick on the right - and if you think a Zed's gearchange is notchy and stiff, wait until you try these badboys!

However, when we pulled away I was the only one who didn't stall (LOTS of revs) which made me feel a bit happier. At Silverstone they give you some pace laps behind a 370z, slowly building up faster and faster. Once all the staggered groups had done their warm ups the 370z peeled away and there were free laps.

Within 10 seconds of flooring it unbridled down the straight (except for the rev limit of course), adrenalin had all but replaced any anxiety. The acceleration itself isn't THAT amazing, but accelerating that quickly in a soap box racer with an engine is really fantastic.

Once you're moving it all makes sense. Pin sharp steering, zero body roll, instant throttle, tremendous brakes. Even the gearbox livens up and you forget how bad it was pootling around the pits.

Truly loved the experience if I'm honest. No ABS can be a bitch in the damp though.

• Like 4

Brilliant advice gents, thanks very much. :clap: I'll be having a few photos taken and also a HD recording, so I'll post those up here (probably for your amusement and much pee taking) :drive1: :lol:

Daveyboy - It was an Amazon local voucher/offer type thing for £89. If you're interested in driving experiences etc, I'd recommend signing up for the Amazon Local deals as I'm frequently receiving similar offers. (I've already done 'learn to drift' session and think I'll grab a rally driving experience next time one comes around.

• 1 month later...

Good luck for tomorrow..look forward to seeing the pics and vid.

Enjoyed a day up at Phil Price Rally School at Knighton Powys, just across the border for you.

Its £300 a day though....ok for special occasions maybe!

When i was working at Silverstone this year, i was based in The Wing which overlooked the Stowe circuit in the centre of the track. I used to spend my days literally on the phone watching people on track out of the window, and a few days a week they'd have the single seaters on there.

I tell you now, it must be easy to spin them as i watched at least 10 or 12 people go off over the course of 2-3 months whilst i was yapping on the phone :lol:

If it's wet you've had it!! (Although to be honest, i think they would be even more fun in the wet!).

No matter what you're driving its always good to know the track and the racing line. Someone driving smooth on the racing line will be faster than someone hammering it not on the racing line. If you know the track and lines just keep pushing yourself each lap until you find the cars/your limit and try and get a clean lap near the end when your tyres are at the hottest. Also if you are taking turns in the car make sure you go on last :thumbs: Less fuel and tyres should be slightly warmer.

Take a massive trip to the toilet as well :lol: every little helps.

• Like 1

You're going to have an amazing day Ian :yahoo:. I know this will seem a bit of an odd thing to say. Do make sure you take a moment every so often to take it all in.

Take in the sight , sounds, smells (oil, rubber etc .....no need for you to comment SMD!) . Really get a sense of the day and enjoy it.

Have a great time :)