Renting a car in the US (Florida)

TomsThreeFiddy

Hi guys, I'm road trippin' around Florida in September with a couple of mates and we're going to be renting a car over there, nothing specific yet but I've set my mind on some sort of American muscle with room for 3 people (narrows it down somewhat) and 2 weeks worth of luggage (we're light travellers but that probably narrows it down even more), any suggestions are more than welcome btw!

Anyways, my question is if anyone knows any decent companies who can guarantee specific vehicles (rather than saying Mustang, "or similar") and whether it's best to go with a large company or if private rentals are a worthwhile consideration?

Private rental would be cheaper and would be an exact model guarantee but I'm unsure if their insurance would cover us to the same extent an official rental company would (i.e. would they allow international drivers, would we need to be specifically named on their policy? etc.)

Also from what I've read I may need to purchase an International Driving Permit from the Post Office, but I've read elsewhere that it's not required....there's never just one answer for things like this....

I've been trawling search engines with little success so any input would be great.

Cheers,

Tom

Yeah, you need an IDP to hire anything out there any more.

As for hiring a specific car, and a muscle car at that, you're leaving it mighty late. I doubt any of the guys like Hertz or Dollar who do specific stuff will have anything left, but you can try. Other than that, it's just a case of googling local companies and seeing if you get lucky. Check and triple check the insurance of each one and you should be fine, the US is more litigation happy than us so you're unlikely to be shafted in the same way as you might in Ibiza, for example.

Personally, having just come back from there and touring around in a Camero I wouldn't bother with anything decent. Florida has no decent driving roads, so just get something that's comfy and more importantly will take your luggage easily. A minivan might be better if there's three of you, as you don't always get room for three cases in most sedans! Did I enjoy driving the Camero? Yes. Did I enjoy it any more than I did the Focus we had last time once the novelty had worn off? No.

• Like 1

As what Dan has said.

Lived out there for a while and know the State of Florida well.

Go for an SUV or similar with fully working air con and NO leather.

IDP is essential and read your insurance very carefully.

Alex. :)

• Like 1

Off to Jacksonville end of September, just hired a car off Network Flights as have done many times before all over the states £350 for the fortnight all in gold package, full size, tank of gas bring her back empty. Generally get a Ford Fusion, plenty comfy, plenty guts perfect for their roads as smokey always on the scanner waiting for ya , no IDP needed as long as you got paper licence & passport, your away B)

no IDP needed as long as you got paper licence & passport, your away B)

I've never had a photo licence (or an IDP), just the old paper one that was first issued to me in 1974 and I've hired cars and RV's without any problem in The States.

Pete

Dollar specifically asked for my parent's licences AND IDP when they went out in a March before they would rent them a car. Not a problem anymore as they bought the Camero, but done companies do ask.

Yes, best checking before you get there really. I've just checked the Cruise America site and they haven't changed their requirements since I last rented an RV in 2010

Driver requirements: The vehicle can only be operated by qualified drivers over the age of 21, possessing a valid and identifiable driving licence. A major credit card and passport are required as identification prior to rental and will be verified. All drivers must be listed on, and sign, the Rental Contract and will be bound by the terms and conditions of the Rental Contract at vehicle pick-up. There are no charges for additional drivers and no supplement for drivers under 25 years of age.

Pete

Edited by JetSet

Thanks for the responses guys, I'll get the IDP then, I get the impression that it's hit or miss whether you get asked for it and as you said it's only a few quid to avoid that hassle.

One of my mates found a decent Ford Fusion package so we might go for that instead, should easily fit all our stuff in and if it's comfy then it'd be a bit more sensible than a mustang/camaro on this occasion since there's 3 of us :D

What states are good for driving roads btw? If I ever go back on my own/with one other person a muscle car would be a stronger possibility then ;)

Cheers, again!

Tom

Loads of great driving roads and also some real rubbish ones as well.

In Florida, the roads around the Everglades are fun and the roads all the way down to Key West are picturesque and the Sunsets are not to be missed.

All depends on how long you are there for and where you are staying.

There are lots of areas that are a no go, so do your research and do not stray off the beaten track.

Alex. :)

We're going around the coast, from Orlando Int. up to Daytona, down to Miama, Keys (if possible), up to Tampa then back to Orlando (we'll be side tracking wherever looks interesting but that's the rough path). Going for 2 weeks so any suggestions for places to visit would also be welcome, we'll be staying in motel 6s etc. en route I imagine, we're more of a play-it-by-ear bunch, planning is not our forte :D

Tom

we'll be staying in motel 6s etc. en route

Tom

It's been a while since I stayed in a Motel 6, they're a bit basic for my liking :lol: . However, keep in mind that Motel 6's are very popular and quite often booked for months in advance especially in peak holiday time. Also applies to Motel 6's near National Parks and Big Cities all year round. I usually use Super 8 or Days Inn which work out a bit more expensive but that would entirely depend on the town/city. I paid $40 for a Super 8 in Holbrook, Arizona, but the one in Cody, Wyoming (near to Yellowstone) was a staggering $115.

Pete

Edited by JetSet

Snap! I'm in Florida for a road trip for three weeks in September too. :yahoo:

Reserved exact model via the Hertz Adrenaline Collection (but reservation made months ago), got a convertible Camaro which JUST takes three men and luggage (if you don't mind a bag on one of the back seats while the top is down). I don't need an ITDP but I got one anyway, a friend of mine got pulled in Nevada for misdemeanour speeding and Highway Patrol were happy with UK licence only, but as I said, I got one anyway.

Most looking forward to driving the Oversea Highway, the 'glades and also a trip around the pan handle to New Orleans. Gonna watch the Miami Dolphins (well mainly their cheerleaders :lol: ) too. Have fun, keep an eye out for us in the Camaro.

Don't forget your ESTA too ;)

Edit- just found this

R – USA (Florida) compulsory IDP – 1 January 2013

A law was introduced in Florida, USA, on 1 January 2013 requiring all persons who hold a licence issued outside of the US to carry an International Driving Permit along with their national driving licence.

The Governor of Florida repealed this law on 2 April 2013, however, car hire companies and insurance companies can impose their own terms and conditions so you should check with your intended hire/insurance company prior to travel or obtain an IDP as a precautionary measure.

Edited by SuperStu

That's alright then, I was massively disappointed with how big the boot was on the tintop.

Given the car is about a mile long and half a mile wide, I'm at a loss as to why the boot is so small :shrug: However, it seemed positively cavernous in comparison to the boot in the convertible Mustangs :scare: soft bags, rather than solid suitcases are a must. If I was being sensible, I'd go for an SUV but I can't resist a convertible in the sunshine.

What states are good for driving roads btw?

Cheers, again!

Tom

Definitely out West, some fantastic mountain passes in Colorado that go up to 10,000 or 11,000 feet. However, America isn't like Europe, because of the geography and the available land roads are built in a different way. Americans like straight line roads and the flatter the surface the flatter the roads. Florida is very flat and it has very flat and straight roads, kinda boring after 30 miles of orange groves :lol: . Mid west is pretty much the same except you can substitute the orange groves for wheat/corn fields and add about 500 miles! Even in the Rockies though you'll be hard pushed to find mountain pass roads like say for example the Stelvio. The roads are built with heavy trucking in mind so while some of the big passes like The Monarch are very long, the gradients are a lot less and the roads rarely have sharp switchbacks. Anyway, there are still some amazing roads not only in Colorado but in Utah, Arizona (which isn't as flat as most people think) and New Mexico. Then there's Highway 12 in Utah :cloud9: , the most amazing road I've ever driven.

Pete

Reserved exact model via the Hertz Adrenaline Collection (but reservation made months ago), got a convertible Camaro which JUST takes three men and luggage

How much did you manage to get it for that far in advance, charging £730 now :D.

Definitely out West, some fantastic mountain passes in Colorado that go up to 10,000 or 11,000 feet. However, America isn't like Europe, because of the geography and the available land roads are built in a different way. Americans like straight line roads and the flatter the surface the flatter the roads. Florida is very flat and it has very flat and straight roads, kinda boring after 30 miles of orange groves :lol: . Mid west is pretty much the same except you can substitute the orange groves for wheat/corn fields and add about 500 miles! Even in the Rockies though you'll be hard pushed to find mountain pass roads like say for example the Stelvio. The roads are built with heavy trucking in mind so while some of the big passes like The Monarch are very long, the gradients are a lot less and the roads rarely have sharp switchbacks. Anyway, there are still some amazing roads not only in Colorado but in Utah, Arizona (which isn't as flat as most people think) and New Mexico. Then there's Highway 12 in Utah :cloud9: , the most amazing road I've ever driven.

Pete

Cheers Pete, this is my first US trip but I imagine it won't be my last so I'd probably be aiming west coast on future visits, I'll have to keep an eye out for Highway 12 if it's good enough for someone to use that emoticon :D