Does spraying alloys void insurance?

Rocky4510

Basically I had a women clip me on the weekend, denting the rear passenger side bumper, quarter panel and scraped a bit of my alloy. The crash was her fault, she admitted to not really knowing how the junction worked and that she got 'confused' about it, so I should win the claim nice and easy according to my insurance

My rays alloys are black and didn't notify insurance as I thought you only had to declare performance mods and things like body kits etc?

Anyway I had a guy come to assess the cars damage, and he questioned about the black alloys. He said if my insurance didn't know about the colour change of the alloys then there could be a problem. Should I be worried that my insurance won't pay for the damage?

Edited by Rocky4510

not that i wanna be a dick, But EVERY insurance company wants to find away out of them paying out, and you might have given it to them, if you fit a non OEM headlight bulb theoretically you should tell them,

If they can avoid paying out they will

I'm no expert in insurance and do agree with Steve they try and find anyway not to pay but if the other party has admitted liability you do not need to involve your insurance company.

In the past when I have had people hit my car and they have admitted liability my car has gone straight to a bodyshop of my choosing which is your right and have contacted the other parties insurance to tell them that's who will be repairing it and for them to arrange a hire car through their own approved hire company and to have it delivered to me.

These are all your rights by law if someone hits you and admits liability, insurance companies often try to tell you different you just have to know your rights.

Yeah that's what I was thinking CM. It didn't even cross my mind notifying about the alloy colour change. I'm just hoping that she doesn't try to make things awkward and admits liability, and nothing gets said.

Time will tell I guess :/

I know its no use now but if someone admits it at the scene always try and get proof, get them to sign something etc as they have no get out then. A lot of people admit it at the time then go away and told by someone else not to admit anything including their own insurance company (I have had first hand experience of that)

Good luck with it anyway I hope you get it sorted :)

Edited by Clark Motorsport

I would be minded to ask the question "So what is the price difference between black and OEM silver?"

I recall mentioning to my insurers a while back (and with whom I have stayed as they have matched best price on renewal) about the carbon wrapping I have on the front a rear of the ZED - they were not interested in 'cosmetics'.

AFAIK a vehicle colour change, or wheels is not a factor, i have resprayed some of my cars and never told the insurance company's, unless its some very garish colour that may distract others i really cant see any reason.

did you ever have a claim on them cars?

AFAIK a vehicle colour change, or wheels is not a factor, i have resprayed some of my cars and never told the insurance company's, unless its some very garish colour that may distract others i really cant see any reason.

did you ever have a claim on them cars?

Yes! which is why i mentioned it.

I would be very surprised if insurers declined your claim just on the wheel colour as it wasnt deliberate non disclosure. They may ask you to pay the additional premium you should have paid if you told them about it prior to the accident.

If you change the vehicle colour I take it you have to get it amended on the vehicle reg doc? You should also tell insurers, even if it is cosmetic as it is a modification.

Edited by bamdc2
  • Like 1

I guess it depends who you're insured with. I'm with AXA and can't fault them since I've been with them. Hopefully they don't change my opinion! Either way I think I've allready learned a lesson and will be notifying them on these little mods in the future

I think the main point to take from it is that its for the insurer to decide whether they want to hear about it or not. Worst case scenario they will see how much it would cost to insure your car with the wheels black. If it costs anymore then you will pay the difference. Do I think it will cost anymore? no.

• Like 1

I doubt they will even ask.. they will call you and you explain the situation.. unless it was a serious crash and police/ ambulance are called etc.. they aint gonna send anyone out to assess your car. well they didnt with me anyway. on my first accident they did, but i had a bump, told them the damage sent photos of said damage and that was it.

Completely irrelevant.

Her insurance is paying to put you back in the same position you were in beforehand. Nothing you can do affects your right as a third party to make a claim. You claim from them, your insurer doesn't need to get involved if she's admitted liability. Just deal with them direct.

However!

Now might be a good time to call your insurer and tell them about every single thing over and above a stock car, and pay any increased premium in case you have an accident in the future that IS your fault.

• Like 1