Any Guitarist on here? looking for new guitar!

hensh65

Hey,

Don't know if any you guys enjoy a bit of shredding after shredding some tyres but I am looking at getting a new guitar and fancied some second opinions.

My currently electric guitars I own are

Ibanez S470dxqm : Has a floyd rose bridge(real pain in the ass to re-string) and the wizard II neck

BC Rich Warlock : Had this guitar close to 10 years, dont use it at all but keep it as it was my first electric guitar.

Sound : Marshall MG100 half stack with a boss GT-10 pedal

I play a lot of varied things so not really looking for a completely focussed guitar. In the past as you could guess with the 2 guitar I own, I have been more geared towards heavy rock/metal music.

I am looking for a more all round guitar but still very capable of playing fast technical without too much strain.

Budget is around £800 + 100ish for the right guitar.

I'm not one, but my Mrs' Dad got a mint condition Fender Telecaster Silver Sparkle for £400 from some pawn brokers ebay when they put it up as "guitar for sale"

He had it verified by Fender with the serial numbers, it's one of only 200 and worth about £2000, you can get some awesome kit from people who don't know what they have.

• Like 1

I'm not one, but my Mrs' Dad got a mint condition Fender Telecaster Silver Sparkle for £400 from some pawn brokers ebay when they put it up as "guitar for sale"

He had it verified by Fender with the serial numbers, it's one of only 200 and worth about £2000, you can get some awesome kit from people who don't know what they have.

That is really jammy, most strats and teles do look the same to the un-trained eye whether they're £400 new or £3000 new. Did he punt it or did he keep it?

have you played one of the 2013 Gibson les paul traditionals? Man they are great guitars.

Completely solid bodies with a big chunky neck. Tone beasts.

You can get one second hand for a smidge over 1k. A life long partner.

Since I bought my SL5 Marshall and the traditional, I havent pined for anything else. I have gone through over 40 guitars until I found these 2.

The only change I made to the Gibby is a Mule bridge pickup.

Edited by addisj
  • Like 1

I looked at Gibsons when I was looking at my Ibanez. Les Pauls were out my price range then and tbh I wouldn't be too keen to stretch my budget now to own one. You hit the nail on the head yourself, big chunky neck! Great sounding guitars but I would 100% need a thin neck, not sure if any the Gibson range offer that?

That is really jammy, most strats and teles do look the same to the un-trained eye whether they're £400 new or £3000 new. Did he punt it or did he keep it?

Kept it, paid about £80 for new strings and a proper service (is that the word? :lol: ) He's a bit of a collector, and amazing at playing too.

He has a Gibson, not sure what it is though, this is a picture of it:

www.instagram.com/p/rSNZRbt0AI

He has 2 or 3 others too :lol:

Kept it, paid about £80 for new strings and a proper service (is that the word? :lol: ) He's a bit of a collector, and amazing at playing too.

He has a Gibson, not sure what it is though, this is a picture of it:

www.instagram.com/p/rSNZRbt0AI

He has 2 or 3 others too :lol:

Would have been a Set up :lol: No oily bits in a guitar to change :lol:

Thats a Les Paul, you are really looking at £1300+ for a good one but they aren't for me. Really good looking guitars though!!

• Like 1

I'm still enjoying my Fender Mustang Cobain edition, bought early last year. Not sure it would work for you tone-wise, but the short scale neck makes it a breeze to zip around and the phase switches let you create some awesome sounds.

I run it through a Digitech RP1000, and then through a red stripe Peavey Bandit 112. The pedalboard is a superb bit of kit, and allows me to go very easily between my own sound to massively overdriven tones back to twangy country stuff, or just to plain crunchy metal.

I also own an SG as my other guitar, and that's a real nice bit of kit but the balance isn't for everyone as it's massively head-heavy. I had to sell my Riviera to fund the Mustang, which was a shame as that was a beautiful all-rounder.

• Like 1

I looked at Gibsons when I was looking at my Ibanez. Les Pauls were out my price range then and tbh I wouldn't be too keen to stretch my budget now to own one. You hit the nail on the head yourself, big chunky neck! Great sounding guitars but I would 100% need a thin neck, not sure if any the Gibson range offer that?

Yup the 'standard' comes with a fast / thin neck.

Thing is, the best advice anyone can really give you is to go play a whole bunch in and out of your price range.

Thats the only way to find something that you are going to love and not want to sell on in a years time.

Get to your chosen shop 5 mins after opening one morning, grab a booth and fill it with at least 5 guitars and just blast away.

I have kept (but rarely play);

2001 PRS (mainly for its beauty and warm tones)

1997 USA Lone star strat (Texas special single coils = blues heaven)

1953 Gibson LG-1 (vintage blues box)

2013 Gretsch bobtail resonator (For all my slide playing)

2008 Slash sig epiphone Les paul. (Bargain solid body, long neck tennon les paul, thick and meaty)

2013 Gibson LP traditional (best guitar I own/played to date) is my daily player

Edited by addisj

I'm still enjoying my Fender Mustang Cobain edition, bought early last year. Not sure it would work for you tone-wise, but the short scale neck makes it a breeze to zip around and the phase switches let you create some awesome sounds.

I run it through a Digitech RP1000, and then through a red stripe Peavey Bandit 112. The pedalboard is a superb bit of kit, and allows me to go very easily between my own sound to massively overdriven tones back to twangy country stuff, or just to plain crunchy metal.

I also own an SG as my other guitar, and that's a real nice bit of kit but the balance isn't for everyone as it's massively head-heavy. I had to sell my Riviera to fund the Mustang, which was a shame as that was a beautiful all-rounder.

I have played one and it really is a nice guitar, I also used to have a digitech Gnx2 pedal board years ago. Just googled the RP1000 and it looks a nice bit of kit. Does it have the option of looping or anything?

The SG was always my fav guitar right up until I played it and thats when I didn't like it. Like you say it is a really heavy guitar and not ideal for what I was playing at the time.

Have you had any Exposure to PRS guitars? my budget only has me looking at the SE model but some of them look really good.

Yup, you can do some looping with the 1000 on the fly which is a cool trick, it mucks my own timing up though so I don't use it often.

I've played a couple of PRS guitars in the past, but tbh I didn't really get on with them. Tone was great, but there was something about the feel that didn't sit right with me, couldn't tell you exactly what though sadly. Just one of those feelings, y'know?

I've got an Ephiphone Les Paul ......as far as copy brands go they're spot on to be fair. Very powerful sound of them.

My old man is just having his 1960 Fender Strat USA refurbished.

He's got a 1959 SG sat under the bed as well!

Sadly I'm fairly crap at playing otherwise I'd liberate it!

• Like 1

Yup, you can do some looping with the 1000 on the fly which is a cool trick, it mucks my own timing up though so I don't use it often.

I've played a couple of PRS guitars in the past, but tbh I didn't really get on with them. Tone was great, but there was something about the feel that didn't sit right with me, couldn't tell you exactly what though sadly. Just one of those feelings, y'know?

Yep I know exactly what you mean, The same feeling I get when I play my Ibanez. Really good guitar a sounds good but just never liked it that much from day one. Plus the floyd rose bridge is just a head ache and a half.

Here is the 2 I am looking at, very very different guitars.

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=13122413413132

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=11062112432837

What do you think?

I have a few guitars

A PRS custom 24 SE 25th anniversary

A prs nick cataneese signature

An early 2000's Jackson RR5

A jackson RR3

Two sheckters both with emg setups

A bc rich flying V

I did used to be in a couple of bands in my late teens and did tour around a bit, made a couple of cd's but but never got any further than that, we finished college and all went our separate ways

I have a few guitars

A PRS custom 24 SE 25th anniversary

A prs nick cataneese signature

An early 2000's Jackson RR5

A jackson RR3

Two sheckters both with emg setups

A bc rich flying V

I did used to be in a couple of bands in my late teens and did tour around a bit, made a couple of cd's but but never got any further than that, we finished college and all went our separate ways

So how cheap are you selling me one of those PRS :lol:

I think I need EMGs in my life tbh