Dont forget to honour the WW dead at 10pm.

WhackyWill

My Dad survived both wars, he lied about his age to join up in the WW1 as tank crew, and later as mounted cavalry, god knows how he survived that, and then as a captain in the engineering core in WW2, and got awarded the title of Capitan for life, never really spoke about his experiences though.

Who knows where we would be without their efforts though.

• Like 5

My Dad survived both wars, he lied about his age to join up in the WW1 as tank crew, and later as mounted cavalry, god knows how he survived that, and then as a captain in the engineering core in WW2, and got awarded the title of Capitan for life, never really spoke about his experiences though.

Who knows where we would be without their efforts though.

We're lucky. I doubt any of us will ever be able to fully comprehend what they went through & their families went through both here in Great Britain and abroad.

• Like 1

For my Granddad who was in BOTH World Wars,

I'm proud to have his campaign medals from both.

He survived but with severe shell shock.

RIP Granddad you were my Hero when I was growing up.

10379009_10154469690850427_1985639313176908515_n.jpg

My great grandad was in ww1, if you ever go to Caernarfon castle his VC is on display, and the TA centre in queensferry is named after him .. Harry Weale

Brave men !

• Like 3

For my Granddad who was in BOTH World Wars,

I'm proud to have his campaign medals from both.

He survived but with severe shell shock.

RIP Granddad you were my Hero when I was growing up.

10379009_10154469690850427_1985639313176908515_n.jpg

My great grandad was in ww1, if you ever go to Caernarfon castle his VC is on display, and the TA centre in queensferry is named after him .. Harry Weale

Brave men !

That is such an Honour. :thumbs:

• Like 2

We didn't hear about this amazing gesture until the early evening news ran it. I think it was the most graceful thing the living can give to those who we can not thank.

We turned all of our lights off last night save a single candle but not sure many others did here :(

I'm not aware of any of my ancestors involvement in the "Great War" but you can't help but think about the horror those young men must have witnessed. The war poems make the hairs on my neck stand on end and they I think can only give a small insight into what it was like.

I know both of my grandfathers were in the steel industry during WW2 so never went into battle as they were needed at home. Both passed away before I was born.

As others have said though I don't think any of those generations wanted to talk about it at all, my grandmothers didn't.

#lestweforget

• Like 1

My Grandad never spoke about the war,

Mine was the same and I never met my Great Grand Father as he died before I was born.

Thought I'd share this bit of trench art that my Great Grand Father made during the first World War. I know very little about what he did or his actions during the war and I never really shared this with anyone before but here it is.

004_zpsa2143227.jpg

His name was Ernest Monk and he was a Corporal in the Army as far as I know. On one side of the tank that he made it is inscribed "1916 Theipval" and on the other "1919 Estrees". This is where he was and from what little I could find out about it he was at Theipval woods, France during the battle of the Somme.

This is one of my most treasured items as it is hand made by himself and really is my only possession that I own which is truly irreplaceable.

• Like 4

That really lovely GM. Treasure it my friend. :thumbs:

Thanks Will and I have treasured it ever since my Dad gave it to me when I was probably around 18/19 years old.

I also have two .50 cal deactivated bullets/shells that my Grand Father brought back from World War 2 that sit next to the tank on my display shelf. One's dated 1942 and the other 1943 on the base so he collected them very close to the end of the war. ;)

• Like 1

That really lovely GM. Treasure it my friend. :thumbs:

Thanks Will and I have treasured it ever since my Dad gave it to me when I was probably around 18/19 years old.

I also have two .50 cal deactivated bullets/shells that my Grand Father brought back from World War 2 that sit next to the tank on my display shelf. One's dated 1942 and the other 1943 on the base so he collected them very close to the end of the war. ;)

I remember as a kid the guns my Grandad brought back, the one that stands out was a Luger pistol

(and before you ask, yes' he was on our side..!!) also a couple of rifles, which I used to drag around

his garden as I was to small to pick them up. Think my Grandma gave them to The British Legion when

he passed away. :thumbs:

My Grandad never spoke about the war,

Mine was the same and I never met my Great Grand Father as he died before I was born.

Thought I'd share this bit of trench art that my Great Grand Father made during the first World War. I know very little about what he did or his actions during the war and I never really shared this with anyone before but here it is.

004_zpsa2143227.jpg

His name was Ernest Monk and he was a Corporal in the Army as far as I know. On one side of the tank that he made it is inscribed "1916 Theipval" and on the other "1919 Estrees". This is where he was and from what little I could find out about it he was at Theipval woods, France during the battle of the Somme.

This is one of my most treasured items as it is hand made by himself and really is my only possession that I own which is truly irreplaceable.

That's a very nice piece of work.

• Like 1

That's a very nice piece of work.

Thanks and I'm sure if he was around today he'd appreciate the compliment. :thumbs:

I don't know what he did for a living but he was obviously good with his hands. All the brass on the tank is from old shells but I've no idea where or what the copper's from that he used for the tank treads. If you look carefully you might be able to see the top of the turret is made from an old French coin that has a hole through the centre.

• Like 1

My Grandad was a Vimy Ridge. He was badly gased when his company/regiment were camped down at the side of a road whilst moving between areas one night. He woke up in a military hospital. He was the only one who lived. He slept with his nose into his trench coat which filtered out some of the gas. This is what the doctors said had saved him. He was in the Canadian Regiment. I Never met him. He died from lung cancer during WW2 due to the mustard gas poisoning.

The thing that sticks in my mind was when my father told me that my Grandad had his ration book taken off him when he was dying on cancer during WW2. No food for the terminally ill. Can you imagine this happening today?

I have a picture frame he made in the trenches at Vimy Ridge from the back of a shell and .303 bullets. One of my prized possessions.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...