Very silly question about engines

twobears

I have noticed that engine sizes seem to be getting smaller. Is that right? If it is, why? Is it because smaller engines are now more efficient/effective? Is it because of environmental concerns? Assuming they use less fuel?

Sorry if these are incredibly stupid questions but I know nothing at all about cars and would like to know the answer to the questions that have come into my mind. Feel free to ignore me if you think I am thick :blush:

To do with emissions and fuel efficiency for the current market?

as 10 years ago say a 1.0 litre car produced 70BHP and 40MGP

No a days 1.0 litre car produces 140 BHP and 40/50MPG

Something stupid like that (None of those are accurate figures) That's just my guess anyway, can get more power out of a smaller engine with better MPG/Cheaper to build?

• Like 1

We know you're not thick Annie ... engines are indeed getting smaller but they are being force fed oxygen via supercharging or turbo-charging ... this makes it easier to design them to be more efficient AFAIK

• Like 1

Advances in the way engines operate, specifically in the region of forced induction (turbo chargers mainly). Essentially we can get the same power out of a 1.0 now that we could out of a 3.0 years ago. A 1.0 has the ability to run very economically, it is light and has a small capacity, off boost it will be quite economical if designed that way. A large engine with no boost has far less control over it's fuel consumption. 3 cylinder turbocharged engines are to become the norm soon, accompanied y hybrid electric enhancements. The hybrid electric parts aren't all about eco rubbish though as electric motors have great potential for providing substantial extra power on demand.

• Like 1

They're mostly still pathetic though in terms of improvement. It's a joke really.

It's difficult really, the main thing that holds it back is the willingness for people to accept the different style of vehicle. The technology is coming on really fast, so fast now it's hard to keep up, but it all only happens if people buy them. This is why governments offer incentives on low emission vehicles, because left to decide themselves the public would not plough enough money into these types of vehicle to fund the development. Low capacity turbocharged hybrid vehicles have been shown to be very capable, even on the track, unfortunately the "milk float" perception of that market sector by many holds it back.

1.6 liter = 760 BHP.. :yahoo:

Formula One car’s power is provided by a 1.6-litre turbocharged V6 engine which produces around 600bhp, though this represents just one component of an F1 car’s power unit. An additional 160bhp or so comes from an advanced Energy Recovery System (ERS) which utilises two clever motor generator units (MGU) that convert mechanical and heat energy to electrical energy and vice versa.

1.6 liter = 760 BHP.. :yahoo:

Formula One car’s power is provided by a 1.6-litre turbocharged V6 engine which produces around 600bhp, though this represents just one component of an F1 car’s power unit. An additional 160bhp or so comes from an advanced Energy Recovery System (ERS) which utilises two clever motor generator units (MGU) that convert mechanical and heat energy to electrical energy and vice versa.

But the service intervals on that engine might make the zeds 9k mile intervals seem a bargin B)

• Like 1