Maybe an Odd Hobby...or Not!

Tricky-Ricky

Thought i would post this up as some here may appreciate a little craftsmanship, i use to make a few knives years ago, and after moving 2 years ago and having a lot more time on my hands, i decided to start up again.

Did toy with the idea of actually making to sell, but on doing some research i found there where so many about, and surprisingly its hard to make a name for yourself to make it worthwhile, so i just make them for my own pleasure, these ones are not hardened as stainless is not easy, and requires chemical hardening, but i may have a go with some normal steel at a later date, anyway see what you think, i just like the aesthetics of the combination of different metals and wood.

IMG_2923.jpgIMG_2933.jpg

IMG_2348.jpg

Edited by Tricky-Ricky
  • Like 1

Very nice Tricky Ricky. B) Love the drop point style one at the bottom.

Not sure if it was you that I was talking to about this on here before? ..but I've made a few homemade knives myself.

Made one or two from those kits you can buy but also some using knife blade blanks, some from old broken knives and some from scratch.

Mainly fixed blades but also a lock back which is one of my favourites. :)

I feel a bit anxious seeing all those scary looking knives but I admire your workmanship :)

Why?? :shrug:

Take a look in your kitchen draw and I'm sure you have similar if not longer bladed knives!

It's the idiots who misuse these things that you want to be anxious of but then they could just as easily harm you with their car, a shovel, a punch, a table or whatever else comes to hand.

Not having a go at you twobears just saying there is nothing to worry about imo.

Edited by GMballistic

I understand what you are saying and I realise that lots of things could be used as weapons but knives like those look tailor made to cut flesh open, or at least that's what I imagine? I can see their appeal in one way because the designs look impressive but they are definitely not made to be used as bread knives and that's the thing that makes me feel a bit wary of them. I would feel exactly the same if I saw a screen filled with guns, even if they were all pearl-handled pistols. Probably being a bit 'girly' :blush:

LOL! at some of the response's, to me a knife is just another tool and one of the oldest ones to boot have never really looked upon them as anything else but, its like anything, misuse will always attach the wrong meaning.

Mind you i am a fan of Dexter! ;)

Thanks for the positive responses :) no i have never been a smithy (although it does appeal) i have worked in engineering, but also lot of other things, and have always preferred to do/make things myself if i can rather than buy,

GMballistic, i believe i also put a couple of my knife pics in my Supra thread, that where we probably discussed making knives i think, just thought i would put the new stuff up here rather than drag up an older thread.

I understand what you are saying and I realise that lots of things could be used as weapons but knives like those look tailor made to cut flesh open, or at least that's what I imagine? I can see their appeal in one way because the designs look impressive but they are definitely not made to be used as bread knives and that's the thing that makes me feel a bit wary of them. I would feel exactly the same if I saw a screen filled with guns, even if they were all pearl-handled pistols. Probably being a bit 'girly' :blush:

Why is it that some see them as some gristly implement just meant for rending flesh, and some see them as a tool and a piece of artwork,

when i was a kid i always had a pen knife in my pocket... it was just a tool, i never grew up to cut or stab people as a result of having one,

a tool is just that until its in the hands of somebody who wants to use it as a weapon end of.

Its the mind set that's changed these days, in my day we settled an argument if serious enough with our fists and that was it finished, not revenge etc.,

IMO people today are just cowardly in their behaviour.

Happy to hold my hands up to being cowardly. I have never wanted to hurt anyone or see anyone being hurt :)

Whether we want it to be true or not, knives can be used as weapons and frequently are. I'm not accusing you (Tricky Ricky) of being violent because I don't know you but I am sure that an aggressive person could do a lot of damage with what, to you, are simply 'tools' or objects of beauty. Each to their own, eh?

Happy to hold my hands up to being cowardly. I have never wanted to hurt anyone or see anyone being hurt :)

Whether we want it to be true or not, knives can be used as weapons and frequently are. I'm not accusing you (Tricky Ricky) of being violent because I don't know you but I am sure that an aggressive person could do a lot of damage with what, to you, are simply 'tools' or objects of beauty. Each to their own, eh?

Wasn't having a go at you fella, just your logic, when i was younger i used to shoot pigeons and rabbits and fish, as i lived in the country and thought it was normal, i now wouldn't intentionally hurt any animal, i even avoid pigeons in the road, i have become a softy,

Mind you i am not too keen on people these days LOL!

So in your mind because somebody makes knives its a bad thing just because they could be used as a weapon? in that case you would have to apply the same logic to manufactures of kitchen knives, cutlery, hammers, baseball bats................

need i go on.

An aggressive person could do a lot of damage with a lot of every day objects, but that doesn't make the objects bad because of this,

thats just daft.

Why is it that some see them as some gristly implement just meant for rending flesh, and some see them as a tool and a piece of artwork,

when i was a kid i always had a pen knife in my pocket... it was just a tool, i never grew up to cut or stab people as a result of having one,

a tool is just that until its in the hands of somebody who wants to use it as a weapon end of.

Its the mind set that's changed these days, in my day we settled an argument if serious enough with our fists and that was it finished, not revenge etc.,

Definitely agree with you.

When I was younger I often carried a knife as well ~ usually my Swiss Army knife but occasionally a small lock knife. It was used always as a tool and came in very handy especially when we used to make dens as young children.

Unfortunately I have been in a few fights as a young guy growing up and never once did I resort to getting my knife out of my pocket even when I was once on the losing end of a scuffle. The mind set of some people these days is definitely messed up with some lacking any form of empathy at all for what they are doing to another person.

Anyway enough of that. All getting a bit serious. Here's a few pics of some knives I've made. ;)

The knife below was made from a kit from Brusletto of Norway. Very easy to make (epoxy handle & ferrule/blade together) and tbh the hardest bit was hand stitching the leather scabbard. Also polished the metal work to make it a bit nicer than it was as standard.

002_zps2ccf33b0.jpg

This is one of my favourite knives that I have made ~ it was again another kit this time from the "Rough Rider" custom shop. The kit was very poor and a lot of hand finishing was needed to get everything to fit together & work.

I hand polished all the pins, wood, blade, spine and locks. I also slightly modified the blade for a more clipped back style point and mirror polished it.

003_zpse27539c1.jpg

005_zpsfb996741.jpg

Hope you like. :thumbs:

Definitely agree with you.

When I was younger I often carried a knife as well ~ usually my Swiss Army knife but occasionally a small lock knife. It was used always as a tool and came in very handy especially when we used to make dens as young children.

Unfortunately I have been in a few fights as a young guy growing up and never once did I resort to getting my knife out of my pocket even when I was once on the losing end of a scuffle. The mind set of some people these days is definitely messed up with some lacking any form of empathy at all for what they are doing to another person.

Anyway enough of that. All getting a bit serious. Here's a few pics of some knives I've made. ;)

The knife below was made from a kit from Brusletto of Norway. Very easy to make (epoxy handle & ferrule/blade together) and tbh the hardest bit was hand stitching the leather scabbard. Also polished the metal work to make it a bit nicer than it was as standard.

002_zps2ccf33b0.jpg

This is one of my favourite knives that I have made ~ it was again another kit this time from the "Rough Rider" custom shop. The kit was very poor and a lot of hand finishing was needed to get everything to fit together & work.

I hand polished all the pins, wood, blade, spine and locks. I also slightly modified the blade for a more clipped back style point and mirror polished it.

003_zpse27539c1.jpg

005_zpsfb996741.jpg

Hope you like. :thumbs:

Very nice mate!