Stagnant smell from aircon for a few seconds

EvansJD2112

Sure I stumbled over a post previously on this, but cant find.

When I first start the car, there is a stagnant water smell for a few seconds and then its fine.

I tend to leave the aircon on all the time as I like the car cool/cold! inside

Do I need to get the aircon system cleaned, or is it normal?

If the air-con is working fine why regas? just get an anti bacterial cleaner for the matrix.

Sorry, good tip that I notice a faint smell when I turn air con off, will get the cleaner, reading up on it there's all sorts of germs in the system..http://www.centralgarageadwick.co.uk/bugs.htm

hmm I have noticed the same very fusty smell when my aircon is not on and its weird as I have been suffering asthma type symptoms since I have had the zed! might be a coincidence but I think I am going to buy some wurths disinfectant. where abouts is the condensate drain on the air con as its where you are supposed to insert the tube? does anyone know? how do you get to it?

Not wanting to worry you but isn't there a link to Legionnaires Disease and poorly maintained air con units? (I'm sounding like Will now....scary face x4!)

Legionnaires Disease is caused by bacteria that thrive in water between 20c and 45c, and dispersed as an aerosol for inhalation. Unless you're using a bucket of stagnant water with a fan blowing over it as your aircon, you should be fine ;)

Not wanting to worry you but isn't there a link to Legionnaires Disease and poorly maintained air con units? (I'm sounding like Will now....scary face x4!)

Legionnaires Disease is caused by bacteria that thrive in water between 20c and 45c, and dispersed as an aerosol for inhalation. Unless you're using a bucket of stagnant water with a fan blowing over it as your aircon, you should be fine ;)

I had a feeling I was doing a Will!!!!!!!

Refrigeration engineer here, just need an air con bomb in there to clean it, definitely nothing to do with gas and more importantly nothing to do with Legionnaires as pointed out by Ekona! Unfortunately mainly due to the media, everyone thinks air con gives you Legionaires disease.

It's the most common thing I get asked, along with "doesn't refrigeration have a 'd' in it like fridge."

Edited by Jp606
  • Like 1

I was told that when you've used aircon, when you come to the end of your journey then turn the temperature up for a couple of minutes to dry out all of the hoses and this will prevent any odour. I've done this and never had any problems in any of the vehicles I've owned with aircon.