hot hatch? New Type R?

nowhereboy

I'm starting to get to that stage where I fancy a change again, I really have my heart set on getting the new type R when it comes out next year but in order to do that I could do with buying something a little more economical for the time being to try and save some cash in the mean time.

I've already been slated by my mates for even suggesting this but I went to test drive a corsa VXR today, I actually really enjoyed it, way more than I expected to. The recaro seats are really nice, low slung with a great driving position and the little 1.6 turbo lump pulled really well. I've always had a thing for hot hatches, I love the "go kart" type handling they have. I've never had a boosted car either so the turbo is a nice change too.

I have also looked at the focus ST but thats no cheaper to run than the Z, the FN2 type R doesn't do it for me and I've already had a EP3.

So yea, thoughts on a corsa VXR? I realize it looks like a chavs wet dream but I'm not vain enough to care about image to be honest. The whole idea is to save some cash and use it as a stopgap while waiting for the civic to come out.

I think they got the looks of the Corsa VXR spot-on, I've said that before. Looks great to my eyes.

I wouldn't get one over the equivalent Clio though, it's just a much better car in every other area. May not be turbo, but it's a better drive.

I'd rater ger something properly economic than a VXR Corsa, one thing will just lead to another and you'll be modding it within a month.

If you want to save, get something that will make the car you're saving for feel even more special.

I drive a 1.4 Fiesta in the week and drove it in between my S2000 and my 370Z while I saved for it.

It's wicked.

Keeps your feet on the ground too.

• Like 2

I wanted to save for the CTR but then found out how much it was going to be, as nice as it probably will be I'm not paying the best part of £30k for it! :(

I'll probably get one in a few years after someone else has enjoyed the depreciation.

Oh, I can't help with the VXR but as Suits has mentioned buy something sh!t to run about in to really save money.

Edited by mouthwash

I wanted to save for the CTR but then found out how much it was going to be, as nice as it probably will be I'm not paying the best part of £30k for it! :(

Yeah, between £27-28'000 I was told.

Out of interest, how much were you expecting it to be ??

I think your mad nowhereboy. :wave::lol:

Not for wanting a change, or for wanting the VXR Corsa, ...but just because you know the new CTR is what you want, you need to (want to) save cash and that's what you choose. :doh:

Seriously I'd buy something like an old £1K-£1500 run about, possibly a 1.4 and then seriously start saving some cash.

That way you'll have a nice lump ready for next year, really appreciate the difference in performance and not lose too much cash getting rid of the run about. :thumbs:

• Like 2

Yeah, between £27-28'000 I was told.

Out of interest, how much were you expecting it to be ??

Not sure really, I do know I'm not paying basically £30k for a hot hatch :)

I thought it was going to be priced around £25,000, I had read somewhere they didn't want to price themselves out of the market with it.

And granted the VXR is hardly an eco warrior but its a fair bit cheaper to run than the Z and would keep me entertained in the mean time :lol:

Cars are an unhealthy obsession of mine, maybe if I bought a little runabout and put some cash aside I could forget about it for a while and save some proper ££££££'s. Just not sure I could live with a bog standard run about after years of performance cars.

Just not sure I could live with a bog standard run about after years of performance cars.

I thought the same.

After my EP3 then S2000, I drove a 1.4 Fiesta for about 10 months.

Did it through from August to May, so it being the winter helped but as I said, when I got my 370Z it made it feel all the more special stepping out of a 'normal' car into something a bit more focussed.

I thought it was going to be priced around £25,000, I had read somewhere they didn't want to price themselves out of the market with it.

And granted the VXR is hardly an eco warrior but its a fair bit cheaper to run than the Z and would keep me entertained in the mean time :lol:

Cars are an unhealthy obsession of mine, maybe if I bought a little runabout and put some cash aside I could forget about it for a while and save some proper ££££££'s. Just not sure I could live with a bog standard run about after years of performance cars.

What about an old Pug 205 GTi. ;):D Still a "performance car" of sorts. :lol:

Link: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201406295406690/sort/default/usedcars/make/peugeot/model/205/radius/1500/postcode/cf158rl/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/page/1?logcode=p

Strip it out and it'll be pretty quick as well. Darn sight cheaper than the VXR = more money in the kitty for the new CTR. :)

• Like 1

Just not sure I could live with a bog standard run about after years of performance cars.

I thought the same.

After my EP3 then S2000, I drove a 1.4 Fiesta for about 10 months.

Did it through from August to May, so it being the winter helped but as I said, when I got my 370Z it made it feel all the more special stepping out of a 'normal' car into something a bit more focussed.

I can imagine going from a fiesta to a 370Z being rather awesome mind!

I guess after a while of driving a normal car I may forget about the whole performance thing for a while. might be nice to not constantly be looking at mods, or browsing piston heads and obsessing over stuff actually.

Edited by nowhereboy

I guess after a while of driving a normal car I may forget about the whole performance thing for a while. might be nice to not constantly be looking at mods, or browsing piston heads and obsessing over stuff actually.

I swear it is.

It's rather liberating too.

Plus, not to be forgotten or underestimated is the fact that you won't really give too many hoots about it.

So you'll bump it up curbs, park in sight spaces and leave it overnight in town when you decide to stay out.

It's so good, I kept it.

• Like 2

Personally I would be looking at a Renaultsport Clio rather than a Vauxhall. Depending on budget, a couple of grand will get you a great 182 and a bit more will get you a 182 full fat. Just don't get the 182 cup as it's a wate of money. The 172 cup is awesome but very raw. I'm considering a 182 as a daily/ track slag so plenty about.mif you really want to save money then you could get a 172 also.

As an alternative but a bit more, how about a Pug 207 GTi. A fair bit dearer, but 1.6 turbo so very economical, lower tax and a bit softer and nicer to be.

As an alternative but a bit more, how about a Pug 207 GTi. A fair bit dearer, but 1.6 turbo so very economical, lower tax and a bit softer and nicer to be.

I thought these would be cool but then spotted how much they weigh and though, meh.

1325kg's.

I thought these would be cool but then spotted how much they weigh and though, meh.

1325kg's.

Yeah but still fairly quick and check out the mpg. Not a bad choice as a stop gap. I wouldn't have one as my only car or fun car though.

Most expensive part of car ownership is depreciation, no idea how a VXR depreciates but cannot imagine it hold value, it's also newer than the Z, so whilst Z values are pretty static your bound to loss £££ on a newer VXR when the time comes to PX it....But your right, it's hard to swap and just drive a 'normal' car if your use to the Z.

I have had both EP3 and FN2 Type R's.

The FN2 was a 'little' more comfortable than the EP3, but in the EP3 every drive felt like an event.

The drive in both was a little harsh, quite bearable with only the driver on board or for fun drives but tiresome with wife / kids on board or for longer journeys / commuting.

Not sure I would want to go back to that after driving the 350Z but then I am over 50 now : )

Good advertising by Honda though ....