A bit of a silly question.... what speeds for what gears?

ostego

Have been thinking recently whether I'm doing my engine or transmission any harm by using 6th gear if i'm doing 62-70mph (of course I never go above 70!)

This leaves the revs at around 2.1-2.5k

Is this speed ok to do in 6th? Or should i always aim to have the engine running at around 3,000 rpm, as sometimes it does feel a bit sluggish doing 60-odd in 6th

Well I always change gear at 2k ish as I only do 10 miles a day (5 to work and 5 back) 5 days a week.........so not really warmed up enough to give it much more. But what with the Z being fairly torque it seems to handle the lower revs fine

I usually change up to 6th at around 55-60 but I'll let it drop to 40, maybe slightly lower if I'm in traffic then drop down a gear or two once I'm free of traffic. As Coldel points out the idea is not to labour the engine, especially if you're determined to use 95 RON fuel ;) .

Pete

lower gears are for accelerating or when in traffic, 6th gear when cruising, just drop it down a gear or two when you need to accelerate (or when in tunnels)

Pete, i thought there was a rule on the forum regarding swearing - you know only to use 98 ron or better :stir: