To buy or not to buy cat D/C right off

Dannyz

First proper post so apologise if this has been captured else were in the forum ( I have searched).

Ok what is the general opinion of purchasing fixed damaged cat c/d insurance job 350's? My thoughts is a bit of tlc after a bump should keep things ok and still worth purchasing at a discount. I have fixed my motorbike after what can only be classed as a 80mph head on......lot of cash but it's like new. Difference when buying has that same care been taken?

Your thoughts would be appreciated. And for info it looks like I could save arround £1000-£1500 opting for a damaged 350.

Bit of a minefield really. You may find one which has been lovingly restored at great expense or one which has been done on the cheap.

The trouble is you usually can't find out why the car was written off or whether it was professionally restored.

I don't think I could buy a car which was a Cat c/d. If the seller had photo documented details of the damage and repair, then maybe it could be worth it?

Assuming you don't mind being stuck with an unsalable car in the future, and budget accordingly, then go for it. As long as all repairs were done correctly, no reason not to.

Hell, you could even look for cat Bs or As if you really wanted.

Thank you all for the responses. I think while I'm ok with this kinda thing, after proper checking it out, I get the feeling that resale is where the main issue is going to be and as I am yet to own a 350Z I can't say for sure how long the love affair will last.

So the search for a UK model 04-05 for under £6000 with as low a mileage as possible and NOT cat C or D (or even A/B Ekona :-) begins!

Again thanks for the help, and of cause anyone that is thinking of selling such a car would be welcome to PM me ;-)

Personally I could never bring myself to buy an insurance write off.

It's risky enough buying cars (lots of lemons about that have not been crashed), seems unnecessary to me to increase the risk by going for something you know has an iffy history (whether crash damaged or stolen recovered).

I have bought a few cat d/ c 350z cars with the damage.

I tend to look for minimal damage before purchase and do my own repairs if possible.

It is obvious that you will sell it on for less than market price but the car would have also cost you less.

My current 350z only cost £2,800 with minor front end damage, total repair cost was £900.

One thing to look for is chassis damage as this will mean it needs to go on a jig which will cost more than it's worth.

It's also worth getting in touch with the previous owner to find out what type of accident the car was involved in, not always easy but possible if you know how.

It turned out mine had been in a light collision on a roundabout at low speed.

I even managed to obtain the full service pack spare keys etc from the original owner which was a bonus.

If you buy a repaired car I would advise getting it looked at by a good mechanic to be sure the repairs are done properly

If you kno what the damage was and know that it was fixed properly then I dont see why not, a 350 could be written off with no more than all 4 lights and both bumpers damaged. If its had the roof welded back on thats a bit different but if the damage is only cosmetic, why not?

First proper post so apologise if this has been captured else were in the forum ( I have searched).

Ok what is the general opinion of purchasing fixed damaged cat c/d insurance job 350's? My thoughts is a bit of tlc after a bump should keep things ok and still worth purchasing at a discount. I have fixed my motorbike after what can only be classed as a 80mph head on......lot of cash but it's like new. Difference when buying has that same care been taken?

Your thoughts would be appreciated. And for info it looks like I could save arround £1000-£1500 opting for a damaged 350.

Given that you survived a collision at this speed without ending up in a very awkwardly-shaped coffin, I'd put you in the "lucky" camp and therefore almost certain to get a good deal buying a Cat D Zed.

Indeed Dynamic Turtle my life time of luck was used that day so must not ask to much of lady luck or she might think I am taking the you know what! :-)

still tempted by the saving but better to wait and get a straight model just to be safe!

• Like 1