Talk to me about 330/335D's

ilogikal1

Not for me, the Z's not getting replaced just yet. :lol:

A friend is looking at 2007/8 330D and 335D and has asked for my input. I must confess my knowledge of BMW's consists of "they've never appealed to me" about that's about it, however I know there's some knowledgeable people on here so I thought I'd ask.

So, anyone with any experience, views or opinions, any general buying advice or things to look out for?

His stated requirements currently consists of "It's gotta be derv mate, for the mpg, tuuuuurbo and tooooorque". He's been looking "seriously" for weeks, at everything from 320d, 325d, and now the 330/335d".

We took an "08" 335d coupe auto in as part-exchange. I took it for a drive and it was very quick with the usual BMW quality interior and luxury etc. But compared to the Zed it just felt like just another "Rep-mobile" . If you want power and good economy then it's a great car. I'd rather drive my zed though!

The 335D is a fantastic car. Let DMS change the power from 286 to 340 bhp and you have a seriously fast car.

The 0-60 and 0-100 may still not be that great but the real world and in-gear performance would have a 370Z owner thrashing his car to stay level.

40 mpg too.

• Like 1

You're not the only one. :lol:

Difficult to argue with if you need Derv, the E60 535d is an awesome car too.

Cheers. He says 535's are slightly out of his budget though (10k). He's also turned his nose up at the 5 series as it "looks too boring" apparently. :dry: Just looks like a scaled up version of the 3 series he's looking at, to me though. :lol:

The evolution of that 2,993cc straight six diesel motor is quite incredible. Go back to 2002 and you had a 330D with 184bhp and 288 lbs-ft.

The changes, across several models, since then, is as below.

184/288. 204/302. 218/369. 231/384. 245/398. 272/413. 286/428. 299/445. 309/461. 313/464.

The king is the triple turbo X50D M with 375 bhp and 550 lbs-ft.

My 335D had 340 bhp and 318D rear badge. Boy that caused some fun!

My dad has got an 06 E91 330dM. the only thing I know about the two cars ( from him ) is the 335d had more engine and electrical issues than the 330d. This knowledge was acquired through the BMW forum. HTH

BTW. My dads is re-mapped. 280 hp with almost 500 ft of torque. I drove it to Kiddiecare in Peterborough and, it really shifts. The quality of the drive is just superb. A far better ride than its predecessor.

Edited by Rock_Steady
  • Like 1

The 335D has a big advantage in street driving, the cut and thrust driving we have to do with it's extra (small) turbo. It eliminates lag, pretty much but allows a higher bhp and torque output with the slightly bigger than 330D larger turbo.

Modern Dervs are an interest of mine, especially sporty ones.

I had a 2011 Audi A8 for a while. 410 bhp and 660 lbs-ft from it's DMS mapped 4.2 V8 engine.

It felt quite like a big block 7.4 litre V8 Chevvy in many ways, instant grunt from idle with a 4,800 rpm rev limit, exactly like my 1974 Corvette.

Been in a 335d impressed and disappointed at the same time. Power and loads of it. But it's boring. Yes your hammering it and it's proper fast but the 6pot diesel still sounds rubbish. Also mpg isn't THAT good either. Also have alot of problems which are expensive to fix. But still impressive for a diesel anyway.

The age old 335i v 335d debate. There was a 300+ post discussion/rant/row on PH a few years back, 335d v 335i.

The answer is that based on 50,000 miles, 5-10 mpg is a lot of money saved.

The 335i is a great car, 370 bhp with a DMS remap and virtually zero lag.

I love both.