New speeding fines

Rock_Steady

up to £10.000 for speeding?? Yikes. How fast and drunk do you need to be going before they slap you with that? Sounds disproportionate and draconian to me. I don't think people think about what they are doing when they are really going for it on the public motorways, so I don't see it as a deterrent. The current possibility of getting a £2500 fine is enough to make me shudder as it is. I think it's only after people are stopped they are sorry for what they've done not before. Anyone's thoughts?

• Like 2

Bit OTT. :scare:

Just a tad eh? there are levels of seriousness i.e. what was a £200 fine will be hiked up to £800 :scare: Not that I drive my Zed like I stole it, but Jesus tap dancing Christ! I think i'd prefer to bring back the public stocks and have rotten fruit and veg thrown at me for the best part of the day by anti-motorists, cyclists and hippies. Edited by Rock_Steady
  • Like 2

Bit OTT. :scare:

Just a tad eh? there are levels of seriousness i.e. what was a £200 fine will be hiked up to £800 :scare: Not that I drive my Zed like I stole it, but Jesus tap dancing Christ! I think i'd prefer to bring back the public stocks and have rotten fruit and veg thrown at me for the best part of the day by anti-motorists, cyclists and hippies.

No profit for the government then....

• Like 1

Magistrates' Court Guidelines set out how the appropriate level of punishment should be determined according to the seriousness of the offence.

Under the proposed changes the maximums in each category will increase from:

:: Level 1 - £200 to £800. Includes unauthorised cycle racing on public ways.

:: Level 2 - £500 to £2,000. Includes driving a motor cycle without a protective helmet.

:: Level 3 - £1,000 to £4,000. Includes the sale of alcohol to a drunk person or being drunk and disorderly in a public place.

:: Level 4 - £2,500 to £10,000. Includes speeding on the motorway.

• Like 1

I've always argued what is more dangerous?

85 mph down a very quiet motorway, in a well maintained modern car and driving in perfect weather.

Or

30mph in a busy town centre with pedestrians, in an older car with budget tyres, and driving in wintery conditions?

One might land you a big fine... Other is legal. That's the law though....

Same with drink driving, being a tiny fraction under the limit is OK but being a tiny fraction over the limit is 12mths ban, big fine and a criminal record. It's absurd in a way.

The French (I think) have the right idea in that regard, having a lower limit but scaled punishment.

Edited by AJRFulton
  • Like 2

I've always argued what is more dangerous?

85 mph down a very quiet motorway, in a well maintained modern car and driving in perfect weather.

Or

30mph in a busy town centre with pedestrians, in an older car with budget tyres, and driving in wintery conditions?

One might land you a big fine... Other is legal. That's the law though....

Same with drink driving, being a tiny fraction under the limit is OK but being a tiny fraction over the limit is 12mths ban, big fine and a criminal record. It's absurd in a way.

The French (I think) have the right idea in that regard, having a lower limit but scaled punishment.

I also don't agree with the drink drive regulations, I don't drink, if you give me a single weak pint, I will be feeling the effects for sure, so much so I wouldn't feel safe driving. Legally I can drive though, as I would blow under the limit every time. I'd be a danger on the roads and I'm sure they'd do me for either driving without due care and attention, dangerous driving or something else but the fact is, I'd be drunk!

• Like 1

I disagree with the uk drink/drive policy.

A) because nobody has any clue how much they drink and how it will effect them, and it can vary a lot person to person, even day to day... depending on how hydrated you are, tiredness, illness, food eaten, etc.

B) it actually encourages a "can have a couple of pints" mentality.

It would surely be more sensible to scale a punishment. Say 3pts for 30-50mg, 6pts for 50-80mg, and a ban above 80mg, criminal records with >100mg

Edited by AJRFulton
  • Like 2

personally I think it should be zero alcohol before driving, it's the only way to be sure you're fine. No sliding scale, no confusion with a load of variables, you drink, you can't drive.

That's the rule I always use personally, not that I drink often, I would much rather have the use of my car than get a little tipsy.

No mention of unauthorised drag racing?

You lose your license for that. For life, potentially :eek:

Also, I thought £10K was a bit high but was surprised to find out the max fine is already £5K (thats what they said on the news this morning), its not so much then.

As for zero tolerance to drink driving, I like a drink, same as a lot of people - I dont ever drive when Ive had more than a couple of pints and leave it when Ive had a heavy one the night before as well.

Zero tolerance means that you would effectively not be able to drink anything for 24 hours before you get in a car, so realistically if you want to drink you cant ever drive.

As with many of these things thats all well and good if you live in a city and have decent buses, trains etc. but if like me youre 15 miles from a station and get two buses a day what are you supposed to do? Give up drinking entirely?

Drink drive incidents are not caused by people who had 3 pints at 6pm the night before, why legislate against them?

It's impossible to have zero percent alcohol reading, as it would make life ridiculously complex. It's fine as it stands now, as if you're sensible you'll stick to the one shandy, and if you're a ***** you'll just drink 10 pints and not care.

The new fines seem like a fairly good idea, but only if the realistic versions are scaled up accordingly. No-one ever got £2500 for speeding, more like £600 if you were going over the ton, so would that now equate to a £2500 fine? Or will the mags wimp out for fear of overloading the system with appeals and leave it as it is now? I don't know.

If you don't want to pay the fine, then don't break the law. Obvious, I know. Patronising, I know. Still true, though.

Just plans, for now. They wouldn't be enacted for at least another three years at a guess (nothing in the next year because of the election, nothing the year after whilst the new government settles in, then potentially the year after that).