clutch slip under hard acceleration

AJRFulton

On a side note getting a bit fed up with the 370's seeming lack of reliability...

I don't blame you mate; you seem to have had every problem going with yours! I've thought a couple of times that mine might have slipped under acceleration, but I'm always paranoid about these things so could just be in my head.

Was anything done with the clutch when you got your gearbox changed? Could it have been damaged as part of that failing?

Clutch is a wear and tear item and known to slip throughout a wide range of mileages.

You don't say what the other 25% (4000miles) is.

Time for an upgrade perhaps, when you talk nicely to the dealer. ;)

Alex. :)

Other 4000mls have mainly been short commutes yo work/shops/etc. Cars had a fairly easy life.

Even with regular spirited driving, coupled with normal use I'd expect 40-50k out a clutch minimum.

Car had a gearbox change 2k miles ago and no wear was noted. This issue has only started since then.

Edited by AJRFulton

Also when pulling off there is no slip. Even a fast pull off. There is a judder which only started in the last 1000mls or so but no slip. I'd say the clutch bites pretty well from a start.

Slip only occurs when accelerating hard and changing gear at 6k-7k rpm beyond 3rd gear. Its as if the clutch doesn't fully engage rather than actual slip. It's a strange feeling.

Also, no burning smell ever, which I'd associate with a slipping clutch.

Edited by AJRFulton

Other 4000mls have mainly been short commutes yo work/shops/etc. Cars had a fairly easy life.

Even with regular spirited driving, coupled with normal use I'd expect 40-50k out a clutch minimum.

Car had a gearbox change 2k miles ago and no wear was noted. This issue has only started since then.

Doesn't this potentially prove the clutch should be relatively ok?

The judder you mentioned in a later post would be related to the flywheel. Seems like quite a few 70 owners have this.

I had an issue with the engagement of mine, especially after the car was warmed up. Changed the clutch fluid and it is a lot more precise now.

Must have had air in there or something.

I get this, mainly between 2nd to 3rd, I think, it's down to my unskilled changes on this gearbox that I'm still finding hard to get used too.

I think it's a combo of the floor mounted accelerator pedal and the gearbox for me, so when I'm lazily pressing on and go for a quick blast I miss time the change and end up getting on the power too soon, thus releasing the clutch too soon and slipping.

When I'm on track this is never an issue as I'm sitting correctly and concentrating, which makes me think its a driver issue rather than the clutch.

Just an idea for you.

Its an issue that is getting progressively worse?

Sorry mate, not sure if you’re asking me that as a question, or you meant it as a rhetorical question.

I’ll answer it as if asked anyway.

No, its not. Or rather it doesn’t appear to be anyway.

Like I said, when I notice it I panic, then sharpen up a bit in my seat and try it again to only get it bang on – sometimes.

I’d not be surprised if the clutch on mine wasn’t releasing properly from 2nd to 3rd at high revs which then in turn causes the slip by me getting on the power too soon for the clutch to release fully.

Its an issue that is getting progressively worse?

Sorry mate, not sure if you’re asking me that as a question, or you meant it as a rhetorical question.

I’ll answer it as if asked anyway.

No, its not. Or rather it doesn’t appear to be anyway.

Like I said, when I notice it I panic, then sharpen up a bit in my seat and try it again to only get it bang on – sometimes.

I’d not be surprised if the clutch on mine wasn’t releasing properly from 2nd to 3rd at high revs which then in turn causes the slip by me getting on the power too soon for the clutch to release fully.

Na bud, this issue only started after a gearbox replacement.

Remind us again what was changed with the gearbox fix?

Did the garage suggest 'wear and tear' any items not changed under warranty should be changed whilst the box was out?

Sorry, but I'm suspicious of that work done and noting your latest issue has only cropped up since then and given the non HPC centre that did the work was not eactly on the ball........

What do you mean by "they found nothing wrong"

Did you not go out in the car with the technician or service manager and demonstrate or induce the fault when you left the car with the garage ?

If you want an introduction to a NHPC in Scotland and want your car fixed properly, then just let me know.

I didn't have time to go with a tech. I work 7 till 7, and struggle enough to get an hour off to drop it off.

They did the road test as described by me.

However even with me driving, I'd struggle to simulate it during the day as the roads are too busy to drive in a 'sporty' style.

I didn't have time to go with a tech. I work 7 till 7, and struggle enough to get an hour off to drop it off.

They did the road test as described by me.

However even with me driving, I'd struggle to simulate it during the day as the roads are too busy to drive in a 'sporty' style.

Well, that would explain why they found nothing wrong.

They will not just replace parts without experiencing what you are complaining about and the only way that will happen is if you demonstrate the fault to them in real time.