Plenum.

Mike k-g

Right people.. i fancy powdercoating or spraying my plenum

in somesort of black..dont fancy the polished look most people have..

Any ideas what looks best?

Are there any pics on the forum with black plenum?

Cheers Mike K_g

Right people.. i fancy powdercoating or spraying my plenum

in somesort of black..dont fancy the polished look most people have..

Any ideas what looks best?

Are there any pics on the forum with black plenum?

Cheers Mike K_g

Painted my plenum in situ with VHT black gloss paint a week or so ago. Take a look here for more info; http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/85949-thanks-lyndzzz-carling-plenum-painted/#entry1287835

Hope that helps. :thumbs:

Just to note - The paint used does not have to be VHT. Yes the plenum gets very warm, but not hot enough to mean only VHT paints can be used. I've just used a generic silver on mine and it's fine.

Genuine query, isn't black a bad idea? You want cold dense air to flow through the plenum into the combustion chambers, isn't painting the plenum black going to make it absorb more heat?

I know it wouldn't be a million horsepower difference, but it could make a difference, no matter how small? Especially when people go to the effort of ducting and cold air intakes to get more of the cold/dense air we all crave?

shut under a bonnet on top of an engine do you really think its colour is going to change how hot it gets?

I don't know, hence why I asked the question. I have googled it, apparently black is better:

Fact? It's been said that black is actually the best color for dissipating heat from the engine. This statement is true, here's why:

The reason black paint dissipates heat more than any other color is that black is the most capably dissipative color for infra-red (heat) wavelengths. As we all know, back is very absorbent when energy rays (visible AND invisible) such as sunlight hit it. It is also able to cast off the most heat energy, all of its radiation being in the infra-red part of the energy wavelength spectrum. Single colors tend to focus their ability to both absorb AND dissipate in the wavelength of their color, and far less in the infra-red compared to black. One last thing about black: It absorbs energy better than it dissipates it, which is likely why the effect of black dissipating heat is less known. Also, since it absorbs far better than it dissipates (as do all colors), it has a net gain, for example when your black car sits in the sun, until an equilibrium is reached depending on the heated body's ability to be cooled (like with a fender or hood, by the surrounding air). The ambient temperature of the air around the black fender keeps it from heating beyond a certain range. I hope this helps explain the "I don't know why" of black paint being a better cooler for engines. The effect won't be much, and might not even be noticeable unless closely monitored, but it is a fact.

Black radiates heat in the infra-red spectrum better than other colors, which tend to "specialize" by radiating less efficiently in the infra-red and more in just their color portion of the spectrum."

shut under a bonnet on top of an engine do you really think its colour is going to change how hot it gets?

I don't know, hence why I asked the question. I have googled it, apparently black is better:

Fact? It's been said that black is actually the best color for dissipating heat from the engine. This statement is true, here's why:

The reason black paint dissipates heat more than any other color is that black is the most capably dissipative color for infra-red (heat) wavelengths. As we all know, back is very absorbent when energy rays (visible AND invisible) such as sunlight hit it. It is also able to cast off the most heat energy, all of its radiation being in the infra-red part of the energy wavelength spectrum. Single colors tend to focus their ability to both absorb AND dissipate in the wavelength of their color, and far less in the infra-red compared to black. One last thing about black: It absorbs energy better than it dissipates it, which is likely why the effect of black dissipating heat is less known. Also, since it absorbs far better than it dissipates (as do all colors), it has a net gain, for example when your black car sits in the sun, until an equilibrium is reached depending on the heated body's ability to be cooled (like with a fender or hood, by the surrounding air). The ambient temperature of the air around the black fender keeps it from heating beyond a certain range. I hope this helps explain the "I don't know why" of black paint being a better cooler for engines. The effect won't be much, and might not even be noticeable unless closely monitored, but it is a fact.

Black radiates heat in the infra-red spectrum better than other colors, which tend to "specialize" by radiating less efficiently in the infra-red and more in just their color portion of the spectrum."

So, black really is the fastest colour :p