Re-map cost

Peak 370

It's a bit like anything though really, you can pay £1000s for a set of genuine TE37s or you can head over to ebay and pick up a set of copies for less than £500. One of those will have had 100s of hours of development on them the other will literally be chucked into a molding device and put into a box. The licence fee goes into R&D and other associated business costs.

So like my example above you can pay your monies and have something that has been tried and tested that is supported by all the major tuners over here OR you can get your mate Dozer to go it alone and put a chip in your car to save a bit of cash.

Unfortunately the world isn't free :(

I do agree that Uprev is the most popular but as far as I'm aware there is always the top dog in which ever brand your into, Kpro for example in the Honda scene is all people ever talk about.

bit like tyres with MPSS

Exactly, do you want the tyre that WILL save your life or do you want Ling Longs on there that will kill you, your loved ones and anyone you've ever set eyes on? I know what I'd do.

But how do you know they've had hours of development put in them, and are not just a price tag determined by the Brand?

Nike trainers, clothing, all made with cheap labor across seas, but you're paying for the brand...

Myhairisabird.jpg?width=515&height=600

Think one of the reasons there aren't more options out there for the 350z, is probably the gains had by remapping the 350z engine. Its a NA engine therefore a standard remap will get very little compared to a remap of a turbo car.

Ecutek a 220hp scoobie and you can easily get 280. (30% increase)

Remap a 276 350z and you will be (very) lucky to see anywhere near 300 (less than 8%).

So that limits the amount of people who can justify the mapping cost of the 350z, no matter that'll drive so much better....which will effect the amount of suppliers willing to create a product.

Edited by aidan
  • Like 1

Not denying you should pay a licence for something, guess I am just surprised that on this forum until pretty much today, no one has said that there might be a way to remap without going the uprev route. As long as whatever you do you get the fueling and various other key metrics checked on a dyno should it not make any difference what remap you use? If the car is running safe whats the problem.

In fact might be a good idea for those brave enough to go against the common route to start up a sticky to show their non-uprev approaches and see how the cars fair over time.

As an aside, you can always sell the licence back to the tuners if you ever sell the car to reclaim some cash...

Well, I thought I might get 3 replies, not 3 pages! Good stuff.

OK, some examples. Celtic Tuning visited and remapped my wife's Honda Civic 2.2 TD. 138 bhp to 180 hp.

£300 and the difference on the road was stunning. It was as quick as my at the time Ibiza Cupra turbo/supercharged.

My S3 they took from 261 bhp to 312 bhp. Again cheap and cheerful but superb job.

N/A cars never see big increases, I just wondered about the licence fee.

Well, I thought I might get 3 replies, not 3 pages! Good stuff.

OK, some examples. Celtic Tuning visited and remapped my wife's Honda Civic 2.2 TD. 138 bhp to 180 hp.

£300 and the difference on the road was stunning. It was as quick as my at the time Ibiza Cupra turbo/supercharged.

My S3 they took from 261 bhp to 312 bhp. Again cheap and cheerful but superb job.

N/A cars never see big increases, I just wondered about the licence fee.

as said them "remaps" have no labour costs as there generic uploads to the Ecu the Uprev system you pay your license then have a man tune the car to it best ability

If the cost of a 350 remapped is 400 minus the labor of the guy tuning it on the dyno and inputting data = i dunno for arguments sake £200 that then leaves £200 for the licenses

now your S3 remap will say £300 minus the guys labor at £50 means your paying £250 for the remap/license

so in turn the uprev software is cheaper its just the guy that's actually tuning you car that adds cost

note i don't know the direct costs its just an example

Edited by StevoD

Noone answered my question lol, has noone ever hacked a copy? i mean you can torrent windows 8 lol surely you can get a copy of uprev haha

its not a copy of uprev i dont think i think it could be wrong but it works by connection the car to the database in states which then unlocks the cars ecu as so to speak when the authorized license code is entered if you cant access the database for the ecu to be unlocked you cant run the ECU like you say i guess you could try and hack there system but you would get found out very easy i would imagine as it takes the vin number for the car to unlock that cars ECU then tracing that vin to its owner and a big lawsuit

but even if you could do you or your mate know how to run the uprev system and what the best way to tune the 350z and what there is to watch out for which again comes back to people who remap vw daily and people who tune nissan daily chances are if you put them in there opposite works shop with no training on the programs/cars they would **** it up a fair few times, its an art which is learnt over along time working with one set up its not anything anyone could pick up plug in a car in and become a mapping pro in a day, a week, a month

Edited by StevoD

One related point I would like to make. Concerning getting the best of everything. Well most of us i would guess want the best.

But the best remap, the best tyres, the best place for servicing, the best exhaust, et al...how many of us can afford to have the best of everything?

If I had endless amounts of dosh I was able/prepared to throw at this lovely car, I'd probably already be in a 2012 Nissan GTR!

That is my next car most likely and it must wait!

For most people i know, cost, sadly, is a big player.

Edited by Peak 370
  • Like 1

cost is but £400 for a remap isnt alot infact its cheap

Stage 1 Map for the GTR is £600 from litchfeild plus vat

Stage 1 Remap for Audi r8 at MRC tuning is £680 plus vat

infact MRC tuning for all the audi/vw/skoda/seat brands regardless of engine doesnt drop below £400 plus vat

its quite fairly priced I reckon, obviously who wouldn't want it cheaper but people buy exhaust that total well over £1000 and theoretically it does nothing until a remap anyway.

I try and get the best of everything but second hand or knocked off price :lol:

There seems to be a lot of dubious information on this thread - £500 for a car specific map is cheap as chips, my last cars management system cost more than twice that alone, never mind the mapping costs.

The reason you dont often see the bells and whistles management on a Z33 is that its overkill - upRev does a decent job of getting the most out of the engine so unless youve got a crazy setup, banging out £2K on Motec isnt actually going to see you much difference. Try and map a 600hp 2.8 single turbo R34 on upRev and I dont think you would get very far ......... ;)

Its the same as anything, you buy what you need to do the job, and the fact is for 95% of UK Z33 owners upRev is more than capable. Its not a brand thing, or a research thing, its a capability thing - if you want to be able to control each injector individually and run flat shift gearchanges then look elsewhere, but who needs that on a Zed? :)

• Like 1

I just wondered why there was only uprev as an option and why no one else had developed anything, seems a bit odd when this is such an active category of development in so many other marques of car. I would also say it seems overpriced to pay £500 for a map which would get you an extra 5bhp vs something generic - as you rightly point out you get minimal gains and a drivability improvement. But that's a personal view, from someone who was happy with his uprev on his zed a few years back.

• Like 2

5hp through the range is a decent increase and if your fuel economy improves by even 2% it will pay for itself before long though ........ but youre right, you can buy a generic "Horsham Developments" copied chip for a 200SX for £50 these days that does both of those things. I know a guy who was working on a plug and play standalone for all Nissan ECU's a little while ago but he abandoned it when he realised he could produce it for less than upRev or Nistune.

£474 is not cheap, to me, for an extra 5 bhp. Not at all.

The comparison with the Litchfield GTR is interesting. They remapped my R33 from 276 bhp to 380 for £550.

Yes, the car was probably 310 to start with but it was well worth it.

How is £474 cheap for 5 bhp more?

That's barely more than what 99 octane will give you.

I got 17 whp across the rev range not just one peak number for a **** extension down the pub I also got a fair wack of torque across the whole range not just at one point and the throttle responce is awesome now , can I notice the diffrence with drifting he'll yeah

• Like 1

Generic ECU plus light flywheel would work better than than a dual mass plus an extra 5bhp - having seen both I wish I had the option! Shouldn't be long before there are though I would have thought, up rev is a decent jack of all trades, but as I said before, surprised no one has realised that a jack of all trades is a master of nothing.

• Like 2

One other thing. When i lived for 2 years in the USA I followed the local car scene closely and had my 2007 Corvette checked on the dyno.

It was a test bed for a firm doing all Yank ohv tuning, pipes, maps, intakes, superchargers etc.

The difference a boiling hot day/humid day/wet day/cold day/99 octane fuel made, was as much or less as one sports exhaust gave!

An unusually cold day plus 99 gave it a real boost!

We also found that a 4% increase in power was not noticed on the road.

Interesting thread TBH.

Generic mapping on a 350Z/370Z doesn't work , every map needs to tweaked, De-grading sensors/AFM's and injectors all need to be taken into consideration;

Someone hacked the software maybe they have but do they get all the updates from the Programming developing company , hacked software normally means glitches bugs that all can cause people hassle.

Tuning NA isn't easy and I know we don't get good gains in relation to a turbo car but you do get a return from you spend amount especially if you add mods to your car. The car does tune itself back tot the calibration AFR and the ignition calibration.

I think us Uprev tuners do a very good job Abbey Motorsport TDI North Trackday Performance Horsham Development and RS Tuning.

Yes we have the ability to remove the license as well which helps if you move onto another car or remove your mods prior to selling your car on.

• Like 2