Re-map cost

Peak 370

There is every chance that I am overlooking something here but....

Why do I have to pay a tuner x amount for his time and x amount for a licence?

I have had cars re-mapped countless times by the major players for Audi, BMW, Seat, VW, Renault, Ford, Vauxhall, etc. and only ever paid their fee.

How is a company on the other side of the world going to know a person has uploaded a new map?

Essentially, why can a firm near me remap an Audi S3 for £250 without a problem?

But each 370 has to pay hundreds for a licence?

Genuine, if naïve question.

• Like 1

You can buy a cable with a license attached that will allow you preferred tuner to tune your own car these cost £607-00 inc vat.

The reason there is a license fee for Uprev and people like ECUTEK they are constantly developing the software which means costs. The license fee is what pays for this work. Abbey have to buy the licenses from UPREV/ECUTEK to enable us to tune your car.

The Audi...etc etc will just be a generic map loaded into your car the dealer that loads the calibration pays for the base calibration that he loads into your car just like when we tune diesels.

We charge £402-00 inc vat which includes the license fee and dyno work we do not upload a generic calibration every car is tune live.

• Like 4

There is every chance that I am overlooking something here but....

Why do I have to pay a tuner x amount for his time and x amount for a licence?

I have had cars re-mapped countless times by the major players for Audi, BMW, Seat, VW, Renault, Ford, Vauxhall, etc. and only ever paid their fee.

How is a company on the other side of the world going to know a person has uploaded a new map?

Essentially, why can a firm near me remap an Audi S3 for £250 without a problem?

But each 370 has to pay hundreds for a licence?

Genuine, if naïve question.

Because what you get im assuming you mean Revo Jabba sport them kinda company just upload a generic map its not tuned to your car the uprev from abbey etc is personally tuned and adjusted to your car to get the best from your car with the mods fitted

not just upped the boost limit and push out the door like the maps you get from Revo etc

Edited by StevoD

When i had my honda mapped, the tuner used a software called ECU tune, and it was a live map, no generic map, that cost me £280 and it was on the rollers over 4 hours (wastegate issue) whats to stop a software like that tuning the ecu?

When i had my honda mapped, the tuner used a software called ECU tune, and it was a live map, no generic map, that cost me £280 and it was on the rollers over 4 hours (wastegate issue) whats to stop a software like that tuning the ecu?

im assuming he didnt remap the Stock ECU

did it not have a piggy back on it like hondata or something?

this it must have been hondata or something similar

the best way i think i can put it is like someone who cant operate a PC taking one to a shop and paying the labour or the guys time and paying the license for the new windows

Bradders im guessing the guy who did your was a mate or a low cost tuner no offence intended you didnt have Bisimoto or another world famous tuner do it for you did you?, look at the the experience and history Abbey Have there one of the king pins in British even global tuning, its like taking your car to a backstreeter at £25PH or taking it to a Main dealer at £125 PH

Also its been said about the S3 mapping there is no human cost there they plug it in and walk off and do something else when i had my car mapped Mark didn't leave my car for 3-4 hours

Edited by StevoD

nope. see above video.

the video above says for hondata, custom chip etc in the description?

i find it very unlikly he just used another spare stock honda chip

and you still haven't said who mapped it was it friend doing a favor if not what tuner ?

Edited by StevoD

I believe Kpro or K100 cost a packet before tuning even begins - IIRC it cost me over 600 nuggets to have mine tuned, a lot more than Uprev.

this is as im curious as i have two friends

1x b18 turbo del sol

1x k20 Ek

that have both spent nearly grand on getting it all mapped up and running right,

regarding uprev you have two choices

I guess if you don wanna pay £400 odd quid for a remap dont get one with experience with feedback and customer support dont get one

or

get bob in a white van to pop over and map it on the rod then sell the car 6 months later when the engines rattling away and hell say it was fine when he left ( makes me laugh as 3 guys out of my local group of friends mocked me for what i paid yet all three are scooby/evo drivers that had them mapped this way and sold them all with a year as the engines were ****ed, all 3 cars were fine before and they didn't add or do anything different they had done for last 2-3 years)

cost me £60 to have the ecu socketed and chipped, then 280 for the mapping. thats all i needed nothing else :) Kpro and K100 are big names so charge big prices.

you've kinda just answered yours and peaks own question Uprev (aka orisis i think it) is huge globally and company like abbey installing and mapping are big names

https://uprev.com/secure/

Just seen they charge $100 ph for support :scare:

Edited by StevoD

I'm not fussing about the price on an uprev, i was just curious that it can only be an 'uprev' that can do it, like for honda, there are ten's of different maps and tuners you can use, where as this car you can only have the 1?

cost me £60 to have the ecu socketed and chipped, then 280 for the mapping. thats all i needed nothing else :) Kpro and K100 are big names so charge big prices.

I guess if your mate is a competent tuner and is doing you a favour then no problems but I'd be a bit nervous to have johnny no dyno whack an unknown blank chip in my car and use the 'force' to tune it.

• Like 1

I'm not fussing about the price on an uprev, i was just curious that it can only be an 'uprev' that can do it, like for honda, there are ten's of different maps and tuners you can use, where as this car you can only have the 1?

im sure there are others out there, im sure HKS, Jun, Esprit etc didnt mapped there demo cars with uprev.

Just uprev is the best supported and easier i guess to obtain

• Like 1

I think you can get all manner of piggy back ECUs, HKS etc for example, it's just Uprev is what the tuners here use - probably because it's the cheapest option, most customisable etc?

If we add up the math on your tuning it only cost you £60 less for someone with a chip he found in the back of his tool box to tune your car.. :p

he has a full dyno, and has mapped plenty of cars and is very well known around north london. a honda buddy who got me to turbo mine is running a stock b16 thats now pushing 314bhp and has been running just over 2 years like it now. the firm is called DPS

https://www.facebook.com/dynoperformance?fref=ts

Heres a recent figures from an audi map:

Audi RS6 2009 5.0TFSI v10 Remap

549.8 bhp - 510 ft-lb (measured)

to

680.7 bhp - 622 ft-lb

• Like 1

im sure there are others out there, im sure HKS, Jun, Esprit etc didnt mapped there demo cars with uprev.

Oi, get your own comments.

• Like 1

I think you can get all manner of piggy back ECUs, HKS etc for example, it's just Uprev is what the tuners here use - probably because it's the cheapest option, most customisable etc?

If we add up the math on your tuning it only cost you £60 less for someone with a chip he found in the back of his tool box to tune your car.. :p

He's not some randomer in the back of a truck lol!

Oi, get your own comments.

Tbf he posted his a minute before you lol.