Please sign against the addition of more ethanol

gsexr

Indeed, E85 (85% ethanol) is actually 105-110 Octane, which is a good thing for drivers of performance cars.

Oh, and its cheaper to produce and the emissions are lower too.

Not forgetting the huge reduction in reliance on fossil fuels, the fact that ethanol is effectively renewable and of course you dont need to buy it from the UAE.

I dont know if you remember when leaded 4 star was phased out but that affected a lot more cars than this does and we still got on with it, ethanol; fuels are a good thing IMO.

• Like 2

You realise a lot of race cars use ethanol right? It's proper potent stuff, plastic tanks are pretty commonplace and tank liners wouldn't be that hard to make

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Ethanol has a lot less energy that petrol you need to burn about 40% more to get the same amount as petrol. Octane isnt the same as energy

It makes more power by virtue of the fact you can get a lot more in and its less prone to detonation thats why they use it for racing (also back when i raced it was about 1/4 of the price of race petrol) . A mate of mine had a bike running on methanol (very similar fuel) and he used just over twice the amount than you would petrol but it allowed him to run 60psi of boost

For road cars its not good imo but the increases are coming in based on European targets so no petition over here will make a blind bit of difference

Ethanol has a lot less energy that petrol you need to burn about 40% more to get the same amount as petrol. Octane isnt the same as energy

It makes more power by virtue of the fact you can get a lot more in and its less prone to detonation thats why they use it for racing (also back when i raced it was about 1/4 of the price of race petrol) . A mate of mine had a bike running on methanol (very similar fuel) and he used just over twice the amount than you would petrol but it allowed him to run 60psi of boost

For road cars its not good imo but the increases are coming in based on European targets so no petition over here will make a blind bit of difference

other than your opinion why is it no good?

Its safer

its better for the environment

it stops the large amounts of fossil fuel used

for petrol heads its can up power more than normal fuel with right tuning

it costs less

im 99% all cars made with in the last 10-15 years have plastic based fuel tanks

i cant really see any minus, other than people with old cars dont want new fuel because it damages there cars

can i ask are you the sort of person who wants green energy from the wind/sea then moans when a wind farm gets raised as it damages the natural beauty

Edited by StevoD

To be honest its the fuel in general that pisses me off. Injected vehicles get away with it up to a point but you try leaving some fuel in carbs for a relatively short period of time and the jets block up along with passageways in the carb body.

It affects motorbikes with carbs, lawn mowers, strimmers etc and the way i see it is they dont add or do anything to help you just to get more money out of you so any petition that has a moan is good enough for me.

If you want to save the planet

Stop the planes as they do more damage than anything else.

To be honest its the fuel in general that pisses me off. Injected vehicles get away with it up to a point but you try leaving some fuel in carbs for a relatively short period of time and the jets block up along with passageways in the carb body.

It affects motorbikes with carbs, lawn mowers, strimmers etc and the way i see it is they dont add or do anything to help you just to get more money out of you so any petition that has a moan is good enough for me.

If you want to save the planet

Stop the planes as they do more damage than anything else.

I thought it was humans who did most damage? Followed by cows?! :lol:

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Ethanol, and other bio fuels are fine up to a point but they have drawbacks and aren't a long term replacement for fossil fuels at least on their own. The main drawback is that although its renewable we will never be able to make enough to satisfy future consumption. For example, if ever acre of agricultural land in The U.K was dedicated to producing biofuels for jet engines, rather than food, it would produce around 50% of the fuel needed for just The U.K's airports. In the States if every corn and maize crop was converted to Bio fuels it would provide 15% of America's current gasoline consumption. In other countries, like Brazil, it would lead to massive deforestation and further accelerate climate change. What we need is genuine renewable energy for the long term that isn't going to have a detrimental effect on our way of life, our climate and our food production...not an easy job, maybe impossible :shrug: With the worlds population growing at a crazy rate and some countries barely able to feed themselves now, I dread to think what the future holds.

Pete

maybe im lost but were in that this thread has anyone been saying E85 would solve every Combustion engine going, If we can reduce the amount of fossil fuel used were winning even if planes still use normal jet fuel were still making progress

I take it you arent aware of the research going into producing biofuels from algae, from what Ive read the potential there is massive. :)

Yes, I'm aware of it but it's still going to be a huge challenge. For example to satisfy America's current needs for gasoline they would need to set aside 47,000 square miles to grow the algae plus they'd need huge amounts of readily available water, which would rule out several areas that are already suffering water shortages. The U.S.A which is the worlds largest user of oil is also growing by 100,000 people per month :scare: Then there's the cost, it's estimated that with our current technology it would cost around $700 to produce a barrel of algae biofuel although this could be reduced to $300 in 20 years time which might get some of the big players/investors interested. With current estimates of remaining fossil fuels and potential new discoveries anything from 50 to 150 years, I don't see anything other than pilot schemes in the next few years.

Pete